McIntosh MC122 Amplifiers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

120w x2 Channels - Power Guard and Sentry Monitor - Remote Power Control - Power Guard Indicators - Direct Coupled output interface

Submitted by Mark Bianco a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
I concur with most of the favorable posts. Excellent build quality and enough "McIntosh" tonal character to give more than a taste of what this venerable brand has to offer. When mated to the equally good C15 preamp, it drove my Infinity IL50's with plenty of punch and detail. Warning: this combo is very warm and DEAD Neutral...no glitz or sizzle. When I upgraded my speakers last year to the truly superb Goldenear Triton 2's, the Mac's and the equally warm analog sounding Marantz 8004 CD player were less than an ideal match. I recently swapped the Mac's for the Emotiva XPA-2/XSP-1 combo and I am once again very satisfied with my listening sessions. The C15/MC122 set is now feeding the IL50's on the sides of my room. The McIntosh gear is what it is and is very dependant on taste and style. Nuff said.

Submitted by Turow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I own three McIntosh amplifiers, one a mega buck tube version. I use the Mc122 in my office (at home), and have always been impressed by the overall quality of the sound. I am feeding it with a McIntosh MS300 Music Server... and it provides many hours of enjoyment listening to classical, rock, opera and some country. As a very satisfied user, I would highly recommend the Mc122. It maintains the McIntosh tradition at a very affordable price point.

Submitted by dudbois a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
Its OK

Submitted by mp006ltk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was extremely anxious to get may hands on one of these. I was slightly disapointed. I have owned many other amps and I think that this is a good solid piece, but for what ot costs comparatively, it is a horrible bargain. The bass was average but severely muted. The highs were full but not dynamic. It was very laid back and and was definitely not the cleanest amp, I have ever heard. I also though that this had the most in reserve of any amp I have heard under 125wpc, not to mention that it is only 80 wpc.

Purchased At:   eby

Submitted by bjm a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the baby of the McIntosh line, but it is definitely a family member. Nice timbral accuracy: clean treble, lively midrange, clean tight base. Mated to the C-15 preamp with Kimber Silver Streak, the combination just disappears and lets the music through. Ideal for alltypes of music, but especially with female vocalists and small ensembles.
Highly recommended.

Need a Pre-Amp (c15?) for McInstosh MC122 Amp

I own an MC122 and would like to set up a 2 channel room using it as the base - need a pre-amp - shoudl I buy a used c15 which seems to have been the choice when the MC122 came out or look elsewhere - will add MArtin Logan's, Turtable , and good CD player next - Pls help.Read More »

PANAMAX: