McIntosh MC1000 Amplifiers

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

1000 Watts

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Bottom Line:
I knew my Magnapans 1.7's needed some real muscle to drive them. I added a Mcintosh C2300 tube preamp to the mix, and I couldn't be happier. This is by far the greatest sound I have ever heard. These amps are so rich sounding that I just can't get enough of them. I have had then on and running over the past 2 years and they have never had one single performance issue.

Submitted by Nibrels a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
By far the Best Pair of Mono Blocks I have ever had the good fortune to own. When driven by the C100/P100 one could not hope for a more detailed open airy sound with wonderful bass presence. Very neutral accurate reproduction of the source. Throw in a Mc CD Player and to me there simply is nothing better at any price. Maybe it is the Autoformer output but these MC1000's have a warmer more tube like sound than any other solid state amplifiers I have taken the time to listen to. The power meters are a very nice feature as you will never over drive your speakers unless you intend to do so.

Submitted by 1967z28 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
The XRT20s exhibit awesome imaging and a well defined sound stage. Designed in the late 70s they use a column of 24 1" soft dome tweeters in conjunction with a cabinet containing an 8" midrange and a pair of 12" woofers. Their paper cones provide a natural soft and well detailed sound. This approach may not satisify those searching for bright metallic sounding highs, airy sounding midrange and the thump of newer designed subs. The XRT20s are very capable of showcasing almost any stereo system. They will require a serious power amplifier such as a McIntosh MC2500 or larger for optimum performance. Very comfortable listening levels can be achieved with less than 1 watt of power. Rated at 300 watts and fused for protection they are capable of creating lease breaking sound levels.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by oliver67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Price was for both monos.

I bought them to drive my MBL 101d (for this speakers a amp. cannot have too much power).
I never had the feeling, that they would not feed my speakers adequate. To me it seems the MC-1000s behave like a (very good) piece of wire, which amplifies. In cannot imagine, that any other amp can “sound better”, and so I have to say it is cheap, if you compare with Levinson, Burmester, etc. Sorry, but I cannot say anything more about the sound, because to my ears it seems they do not “sound” but are absolutely neutral with enormous reserves in power.

The big watt meters are undisturbing, especially if you use the hold function. The blue light is very attractive at night. Excellent workmanship!

Purchased At:   Local Dealer (second

Submitted by h b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is one of the great amps. To bad for the 1 star review guy below. The amp has been in production since 1992 so maybe he was lied to by the guy he bought it from at the auction. The warranty is for the original owner anyway. Maybe UPS even had a hand in this, but no, this guy decides to slam the product and the company. Hardly fair, but freedom of press etc. He says in another review that the mac 250 is a terrible tube amp. BUSTED. It is solid state. I wonder where he thought the tubes were. Or maybe he never actually dealt with it, like the other stuff he slammed. Kind of thought that anyway. Some people couldn't pour the water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel. I love Mac along with other stuff too. Buy what you think sounds good, otherwise you are a loser.

Wood Technology: