McIntosh MA6500 Amplifiers

4.73/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

Integrated Amplifier 2 x 120/200/250 (8/4/2 ohms) Wide Power Bandwidth Width with Ultra-Low Distortion Power Output Meters

Submitted by Hybrid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2017

Bottom Line:
Great amp that I've paired with Focal 1028Be II speakers. Takes the edge off the top end and allowes me to listen to whatever I want for as long as I want with no sign of fatigue.

4 and 8 ohm compatable is nice if I ever end up switching. 2 sets of terminals allows for hooking up 2 sets of speakers. Great if you like to switch or compare 2 sets of speakers.

RCA out allows the amp to be used as a pre or to connect to a sub, and the pre can be bypassed in favor of a different one. And make no mistake, changing the pre will alter the sound. I run my Oppo straight to the amp for theatre mode, and use Macs pre for 2 channel listening.

Sound wise, I find the integrated to have a mellow, laid back sound, which is what I've been after for a while. It stays in the background if I want it too, which is great when company is over. For more critical listening, it fairs wonderfully with vocals and stringed instruments. I find that the built in pre does not command the bass as well as the pre out on the Oppo, but it's of no consequence because I have the option of using either.

As far as looks...well...it's a McIntosh. You like it or you don't. I like it.

Submitted by henrygerken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
greatsound

Submitted by boniccie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome mcintosh intg amp.It replaced PS audio trio a100 and i have to admit that the difference was like night and day to me..I recommended to anyone who really want to hear what an audiophile product sounds like...A+++++++++++++++++++++++

Submitted by athkarag a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'll be very short, 'cause all previous reviewers have covered the subject to a very good point. That's the best integrated I have ever had, in tems of flexibility, sound character and drive. Please go & check my system in my review of the Harbeth SHL5s which partner the Mac. And keep in mind that I belong to the fans of integrateds, not separates. After all, I'm listening to music, not machines, and I want to own something of exceptional endurance in time, with very stable characteristics. So, what else except a Mac?

Submitted by trumpetbri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
Most gorgeous multi layered and accurate amp I've owned. This is my first Mac, and I must say I'm in love. It looks gorgeous too with the meters. Wife even loves its sound and looks! Yay!
The tonality and timbre of instruments and voices are the most lifelike I've heard. Very black backgrounds and natural lifelike delivery.
Expensive product, but if I am paying for research, development and longevity I can't complain. I think I'm getting a taste of the best available at any price.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer