McIntosh MA6500 Amplifiers

4.75/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

Integrated Amplifier 2 x 120/200/250 (8/4/2 ohms) Wide Power Bandwidth Width with Ultra-Low Distortion Power Output Meters

Submitted by Jeff Harper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have my MA6500 pushing absolutely beautiful sound to a pair of 37 year old Klipsch LaScalas and a pair of 5 year old Klipsch Corner Horns. ..sound is is crisp, not harsh, high end is clean, low end is firm. I run both pair of Klipsch simultaneously and at 2 watts things move in the house and I seem to be knocking the paint of the exterior. A superb amp....especially when attached to the world's finest hand made speakers with a 70 year history......

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Hybrid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2017

Bottom Line:
Great amp that I've paired with Focal 1028Be II speakers. Takes the edge off the top end and allowes me to listen to whatever I want for as long as I want with no sign of fatigue.

4 and 8 ohm compatable is nice if I ever end up switching. 2 sets of terminals allows for hooking up 2 sets of speakers. Great if you like to switch or compare 2 sets of speakers.

RCA out allows the amp to be used as a pre or to connect to a sub, and the pre can be bypassed in favor of a different one. And make no mistake, changing the pre will alter the sound. I run my Oppo straight to the amp for theatre mode, and use Macs pre for 2 channel listening.

Sound wise, I find the integrated to have a mellow, laid back sound, which is what I've been after for a while. It stays in the background if I want it too, which is great when company is over. For more critical listening, it fairs wonderfully with vocals and stringed instruments. I find that the built in pre does not command the bass as well as the pre out on the Oppo, but it's of no consequence because I have the option of using either.

As far as looks...well...it's a McIntosh. You like it or you don't. I like it.

Submitted by henrygerken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
greatsound

Submitted by boniccie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome mcintosh intg amp.It replaced PS audio trio a100 and i have to admit that the difference was like night and day to me..I recommended to anyone who really want to hear what an audiophile product sounds like...A+++++++++++++++++++++++

Submitted by athkarag a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'll be very short, 'cause all previous reviewers have covered the subject to a very good point. That's the best integrated I have ever had, in tems of flexibility, sound character and drive. Please go & check my system in my review of the Harbeth SHL5s which partner the Mac. And keep in mind that I belong to the fans of integrateds, not separates. After all, I'm listening to music, not machines, and I want to own something of exceptional endurance in time, with very stable characteristics. So, what else except a Mac?