McIntosh MA6450 Amplifiers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Integrated 100 watt/channel Amplifier

Submitted by StephenKY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
Mcintosh quality all the way.. Musical and loads of power

Submitted by stephen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
Excellent Mcintosh quality! Very musical and powerful. You won't find a better amp under $1500.

Submitted by rsyuhasz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
The quality of this integrated amplifer is unique only to McIntosh. From the beauiful etched glass front panel to the quite operating controls, this amplifer is built to last. This amplifer is rated at a very conservative 100 watts per channel. The speakers in my system are Klipch Forte's, my normal listening level is one watt per channel. At ten watts per channel the sound is over powering, with a solid tight bass and the crytal clear highs this ampliper has power to spare. A McIntosh exclusive Power Guard feature prevents the amp. from clipping which distorts the signal and is harmful to the speakers. When listening to classical music with a high dynamic range the Power Guard feature is very useful. I'm using this amplifer with a McIntosh MR7084 tuner, this combination works well together. The remote control for the amp. also controls the tuner. I bought my first McIntosh equipment in the 1970's, a MA6100 integrated amplifer and a MR74 tuner. When I sold this equipment I got more than the original price. What else can you buy that is built to last, uses only the highest quality components and sounds as good as this amplifer.

Purchased At:   Audioclassics

Submitted by Edwin Vann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought it new in '99 to replace the 1972 McIntosh system that I put in my Florida home that still operates as well as it did when purchased.

The 6450 is on all day, every day. The only part that ever heats up to the touch is the glass faceplate with dial lights behind; the rest of the chassis is always cool. I use the amp along with a 1999 McIntosh 7084 AM/FM tuner. The FM stations that I listen to are in Chicago 85 miles away (direct line) and this combination avoids background hiss completely, unlike my 1972 unit.

I use a Rotel CD player and added a $300 Rotel preamp for
my B & O turntable; one could spend a lot more on a turntable preamp, however.

This amplifier operates two Bozak speakers (each with twin 15" woofers) and two Wharfedale 2-way speakers with 12" woofers for a fuller sound (my listening room is long and tall and has heavy carpeting). The amp is like a straight wire with gain; that is, it is transparent. I listen to a lot of pipe organ CDs and LPs; distortion from overloading has not been a problem. When you buy a McIntosh, it's like a Rolex: It operates well no matter what.

Purchased At:   Audio House (Ontario)

Submitted by Bennett a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The McIntosh 6450 integrated amp is an outstanding amplifier unit. I sold my Audio Refinement complete (50w/channel), to get more power and a few more features and inputs. I'm driving Magneplanar 1.6QR speakers which perform best with a substantial power amp.

I hooked up the Mac and noticed immediate change in sound stage and bass. The old amp was great, but the Mac really did it. The beefy power supply an amp section was immediately apparent with first use, and the Mac "does not run out of steam".

I've enjoyed hi-fi for over 30 years, and thought balance & Tone controls ruin sound and "Are not for Audiophiles"!
Well, let me tell you, these controls are so good that I find them very useful, and my overall sound is better.

The quality of this unit is unmatched, and the MacIntosh pride of ownership bug has bit!!

Purchased At:   Audiogon