McIntosh MA6400 Amplifiers

N/A

Submitted by larry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for a new integrated amp for several years, and am just amazed even 2 years later at the ability
of this amp . it is clean, extremely quiet and power to spare.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   from audio classics

Submitted by Johhny Travaloni a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
You don't understand what listening to a concerto on this amplifier is like unless you continually transcent to the ninth plane of existence and periodically meet God in his purest form.

Buy this amplifier if you love life.

Purchased At:   Union Gap

Submitted by Anthony Zorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use with klipschorns which really do not need the 100 watts these put out, but...they are quite quiet and dynamic at 1 watt output...the k-horns show up any defects in a amp quite easily, these are a great match for the speakers...what dynamics! though I will be trading off between these and a pair of Dynaco Mk IV tube mono-blocks I can not reccomend this amp more highly, if you can afford one and want SS then you should put this amp at the top of your list!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   audioclassics

Submitted by Tirdsak Akepotong a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1997

Bottom Line:
I just bought my very first solid state integrated amplifier and all I can say is that it's not that much differrence compare to those tube amps I've had. This versatile integrated amp from Mcintosh somewhat delivers great detail in low frequency and significantly in mid and high frequency. The only inferiority when I did the A-B test with my Audio Innovations S700 tupe amp was in the vocal sound, the MA6400 seemed to be a bit less warm and wide but, personally, I'd never expected the MA6400 to sound like tube in this respect. One more thing that I think can be counted as the weak point for MA6400 is that those speaker binding posts which traditionally come with most of Mcintosh amps, I got to put my MIT2 bi-wire in storage and bought another speaker cables that has the connectors SMALL enough to fit in with those squeezed terminals which costed me like a couple hundred buck. In short, for those who like a lot detail and rock solid in deep bass with good control, especially for fusion jazz and contemporary pop rock music, with accceptably good sound stage this MA6400 could be another choice for you.

Sennheiser: