McCormack DNA-125 Amplifiers

4.95/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $1695.00

DNA-125, STEREO Amplifier with output power rating of 125 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms at less than 1% THD, 200 into 4 ohms.

Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
Input Sensitivity: 1 volt rms
Hum and Noise: better than 98 dB below rated power
Dimensions: 19"w x 5.125"h x 16"d

Submitted by Mannypr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2017

Bottom Line:
When you get into a certain price bracket in amps you might get an amp that might do one or two things good with deficiencies elsewhere . It might be smooth but at the expense of detail . It might have great extension on the bass with poor control . Soundstaging might be wide with so so depth .

The Mccormack is an amplifier that does one thing on a extraordinary level and everything else excellent or very good . It doesn't have weaknesses . It is faithfull to the source or neutral with a percieved warmness to a very narrow band of frequencies . I don't think it is warm , rather its lower high frequencies have so little harshness to impart a percieved warmness .

The one area where it is great is in dynamics . From the lower bass to the top frequencies this amp is explosive . Put some hard rock , symphonic music , rap , whatever and it will blow you away . It is not dynamic only in one area of the music but from top to bottom . For the amount of energy on tap , 125 watts to 8 ohms , 200 at 4 ohms it certainly sounds much more powerful . It's 65 amps of continous current I suspect has something to do with it .

In all other areas of performance it is very good or even excellent . Very good soundstage , imaging , high frequency extension , detail with micro dynamics , tonal quality . Musical movements are not rendered dificult to here when in the proximity of another but equally easy to hear in the context of the music .

What you have here is an amplifier that does somethings on a very high level and everything else very good with no weaknesses . It is well made and very reliable . This is a music lovers amp .

Submitted by dpl35 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned the McCormack DNA-125 amp for about 1 month, here are my impressions. I would say in a nutshell, this amp seems to be a solid-state amp that has a tube-like quality to its sound. I replaced an Odyssey Stratos amp which is also a great amp, very powerful, and pronounced bass.

The McCormack is different, it has nice detail with an airy quality. One thing that I have noticed is that no part of the audio spectrum is over or under exaggerated, it just sounds right. The bass is tight, and the highs are nice. I really like this amp, if you like a solid state amp that leans toward a tube sound, put this amp on your short list.

Product model year:   2009

Silverline Audio Prelude speakers

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by psyopwak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
This amp was purchased used from the original owner late in 2008. It was in pristine condition and still is.
The amp replaced an Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade. It has outperformed it in every way. It has proved to be quiet, reliable, and very musical. It does not sound warm, as some have mentioned, but rather neutral.

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. It was disheartening because I had wanted the Stratos for some time. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

This "simple" SS system sounds MUCH better than with my tube preamp. But, like I wrote just before, I had hum and noise issues with the Odyssey. But even when the noise was not present, the Mccormack was cleaner and more musical than the Stratos and Candela (preamp)

I would highly recommend this piece to anyone. It was much less expensive than the amp/preamp combo I was using before and it's performance was a few notches above it.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by geowak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

Product model year:   2007