McCormack DNA-125 Amplifiers

4.95/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $1695.00

DNA-125, STEREO Amplifier with output power rating of 125 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms at less than 1% THD, 200 into 4 ohms.

Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
Input Sensitivity: 1 volt rms
Hum and Noise: better than 98 dB below rated power
Dimensions: 19"w x 5.125"h x 16"d

Submitted by dpl35 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned the McCormack DNA-125 amp for about 1 month, here are my impressions. I would say in a nutshell, this amp seems to be a solid-state amp that has a tube-like quality to its sound. I replaced an Odyssey Stratos amp which is also a great amp, very powerful, and pronounced bass.

The McCormack is different, it has nice detail with an airy quality. One thing that I have noticed is that no part of the audio spectrum is over or under exaggerated, it just sounds right. The bass is tight, and the highs are nice. I really like this amp, if you like a solid state amp that leans toward a tube sound, put this amp on your short list.

Product model year:   2009

Silverline Audio Prelude speakers

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by psyopwak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
This amp was purchased used from the original owner late in 2008. It was in pristine condition and still is.
The amp replaced an Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade. It has outperformed it in every way. It has proved to be quiet, reliable, and very musical. It does not sound warm, as some have mentioned, but rather neutral.

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. It was disheartening because I had wanted the Stratos for some time. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

This "simple" SS system sounds MUCH better than with my tube preamp. But, like I wrote just before, I had hum and noise issues with the Odyssey. But even when the noise was not present, the Mccormack was cleaner and more musical than the Stratos and Candela (preamp)

I would highly recommend this piece to anyone. It was much less expensive than the amp/preamp combo I was using before and it's performance was a few notches above it.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by geowak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by docaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've listened to many amps in the under $2000 price range and the McCormack DNA-125 is the most transparent of any of these amps that I heard. It is a neutral amp that produces a wonderful 3-D soundstage and is much more dynamic that other 125 watt amps.

Purchased At:   HigherFidelityAudio