McAlister Audio SE 44 SET AMP Amplifiers

Amazing single ended amplifier. Pure class A tube amp design. Uses 0 global feedback for a very open soundstage. Extremely fast design using horizontal output tubes that have lower harmonic distortion than 811, 300B ,6550, EL34 etc and are more efficient than 300B’s. Minimalist design using point to point wiring. The amp gives world class sound for very low dollars.

Submitted by Rocket_Ronny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2006

Bottom Line:

I just absolutely love this Set amp.

It removes a layer most amps leave behind.

It is what digital amps can only dream of being.

Fantastic speed is evident in how bells and chimes are revealed.

There is a total absence of grit, grime, or artificial edge. This leads to a bit of a laid back presentation. Not boring at all. It just does not wack you over the head unless called for. So industrial rockers may not like this amp. It is too clean.

The tonal balance leans to the clean and clear, yet with some wonderful warmth. This is not a golden glow boy like perhaps Conrad Johnson. Just beautiful music.

Very wide and deep soundstage, with excellent localization of instruments. I was worried about this since it has 4 output tubes per channel. Well, it images good enough for me, and imaging is a top priority in my books. I want a real, life sized, performance before me. Otherwise, why bother?

The top end just shimmers with life.

Bass is excellent as well. Is this a Set I am listening to, I ask myself?

This amp made my Hornshoppe Wannabes sound like some sort of electrostat, Avant Guard, monsters.

I am drawn into the music and amazed by the amount of music previously missing, like subtle details, spacial cues, etc.

It comes closer than any other amp I have had to recreating the recordings we have produced for our record label. http://www.scripturesongs.com/audio.htm

Oh, and it sports a powerhouse 22 watts. Got to like that if you are a set guy.

In 25 years of high end audio there are a few events that stand out as milestones. One was my Oracle/Alphason 1000S arm, with Electro Research EK1 strain guage cartridge, and Electron Kinetics Eagle 7A amp, driving Acoustat Model 3's. There were others as well.

This McAlister SE 44 is another one of those milestones. That coupled with the GR Research OB 5 speakers takes my breath away. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=31630.30

You can see the SE 44 in action in the picture link above. It's on top of the audio rack. On the bottom shelf is it's massive power supply. The speaker is the GR Research OB 5 that were just given birth.

I have not been this excited about listening to music for a long time.

Here is the McAlister web site: http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Here is GR's site: http://www.gr-research.com

If this is not one of the very best amps I have experienced, then I don't know what is.

It gets my highest praise. Thank you for Mr. McAlister for making such high end affordable.

Rocket_Ronny