Mark Levinson No. 334 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $5900.00

Submitted by jdworiginal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Simply Amazing! The 334 is very involving. The Levinson lets all of the music flow through. It takes control of your speakers instead of the other way around. Powerful bass control without over bloating. Midrange is sweet and highs are extended and decay with ease.
Very heavy amplifier so ask for installation help, 110lbs! Oh, and use the provided Madrigal gloves, (nice touch). Jazz, Rock, blues it's all good.
Be sure to partner it with quality components and I suggest using solid core cabels.

Purchased At:   Audible Elegance

Submitted by Dann a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I think this is by far the most satisfying amp I've owned, I've actually owned quite alot "lesser" amp before, tube and SS. Properly set up and the sound; you name it you get it, rich tonality, details, warmth or should I say harmonically complete. The music is so involving through the 334 that I could listen for whole day, even CD. For those 334 owners, I recommend running them with JPS power AC, definitely breathtaking!

Purchased At:   AL

Submitted by jameshenry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been an audiophile for some years and always dreamt of buying the "ideal" power amp that would see me content for many years before having to win the lottery to reach the next, or ultimate level. With the 334 I believe that I have achieved that goal. The 334 is quite superb, able to drive any speaker without clipping and the build quality is without parallel. I initially bought it with the 380 pre-amp but have since upgraded to the 380S and as a partnership I cannot recommend them too highly. The sound is accurate, pure, dynamic and makes the very best of any source connected. This does mean that any weaknesses in the source components will be revealed, but at this level such things are to be expected. I have tried more pre/power and integrated designs than I care to mention and this is the one I'm staying with. Take care of the Levinson's and they'll see to your musical needs forever. (Until the lottery comes in.)

Submitted by ROGER a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I OWN A PAIR OF THIEL CS 2 2'S. THE PARTYLINE HAS BEEN THAT THESE SPEAKERS LACK GOOD LOW END RESPONSE. WELL I THINK A MORE ACCURATE DESCRIPTION IS THEY ACCENTUATE ANY DEFICIENCIES IN YOUR SYSTEM E.G. POOR BASS OUTPUT FROM YOUR AMP.

RIGHT AFTER I HOOKED UP THE MARK LEVINSON THERE WAS A IMMEDIATE PERCEPTIBLE DIFFERENCE IN THE LOW END, MIDRANGE AND TREBLE. THE SOUNDSTAGE IS UNBELIEVABLE. BUT IT'S NOT AN IN YOUR FACE TYPE OF AMP. THE MUSIC SOUNDS VERY NATURAL.

I FEEL LIKE I NOT ONLY BOUGHT A NEW AMP BUT ALSO A NEW PAIR OF SPEAKERS. I GUESS I'LL KEEP MY THIEL'S FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS

Submitted by zugswang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Proceed PDT3 transport
MSB Link DacII
Monolithic Power supply (to Link Dac) ungrounded.
Other amp: Bryston 3bNRB
Mod Squad line drive preamp
Carver tuner
Speakers: Infinity 'QE'
XLO and AQ Diamond interconnects
Straight Wire Rhapsody speaker cables
Canare Digiflex coax or Toslink optical digital
Kimber PowerKord

The 334 and the Bryston 3B NRB, my reference amp, both have comparable wattage at around 125.
If music were only about detail, then component design would be easy. But alas it isn't. It's about musicality. The 334 is a champ with detail yet fell short in some areas, which I will try to describe here.
All details, even the most minute and low-level, were captured and brought to the forefront by the 334, while through the Bryston backgound details stayed more in the background and intruded less. The older amp also has a more pleasing balance in my system, with a set back midrange, more air in "live" recordings, and more deep bass presence. The 334 bass is deep and firm, but sometimes drowned out by the midrange.
While very quick dynamically, the Levinson dynamics were slightly underwhelming, the contrasts not so convincing. In comparison, the Bryston had more startle factor and, more dynamic expressiveness, all increasing listener involvement. Maybe the 334 would be helped by an active preamp, which I did not use in my audition.
Good points of the 334? There are many. Point for point, it would be easy to prefer the Levinson. But for me the scales ultimately settled in favor of the tried but true Bryston.

High End: