Marantz SM-17SA Amplifiers

60 watts per channel into 8 ohms (100 watts into 4 ohms), bridgeable to 200 watts mono operation. Remote control operates all functions.

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have the PM17MKII, CD 17 MKII, ST 17 tuner and 2 SM17sa amps. Nice looking system in black.

I also have 2 nice tube amps I switch back and forth to. The Marantz is damn good. I use Von Schweikert VR-4 II speakers. Best solid state I have owned, build quality is amazing.

I liaten mostly to records via a Thorens TD 124 and a Aries II turntable.

Submitted by dilango a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
WOW ! was my very first expression when I saw the looks and noted the build quality. Marantz was never my 'most preferred main audition companion' till I met this one. It delivers the required warmth as long as you are not connected with power hungry speakers. Very close to true reproduction without adding any colors to the music is what I noted first but the very fact of loving this amp is 'no ear fatigue' even after hours of listening.

STRENGTHS: Smooth highs yet delivers music with warmth. Deep bass yet very much controlled. You can listen to it hours together without any ear fatigue. Value for money is great as it sounds very close to tube amps.

WEEKNESSES: Temp meter is no way helping me.

COMPANIANS: Musical Fidelity - CD player A5, Integrated amp A5, Lexican Power amp 212, Sonusfaber concerto home speakers with Celestian speaker stands.

Submitted by Aatt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Absolutely amazing Amp !!!It sounds very clear without getting to hard in the upper regions. I have this Amp hooked up to my pm 17 mk II and the sound is incredible.
Beats Brands like Rotel or NAD by miles. To get better Sound you`ll have to spend a fortune. I`m now thinking of buying a second sm 17, i`ll then get them briged and try Bi-amping with the two briged sm 17s and my pm 17.

Oh, the quality and the looks are simply outstanding !!!

Submitted by midfat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was using two Adcom GFA555's bi-amped to a set of Phase Tech PC8.5's, all run through a Sony ES Pre-amp. I always liked the sound but wanted home theater capability, so I purchased a Marantz SR18ex. Listening to the Adcoms against the Marantz receiver, I liked the softer sound the Marantz produced -- the Adcoms were loud, but also very "bright." Well, just on a whim I picked up a single SM-17sa amp to see how it sounded. MY JAW HIT THE FLOOR when I heard how soft and creamy this amp sounded. The only thing I can equate it to is a tube amp. It just sounded incredible. I have since decided to by another and run them bridger at 200W right and left. If you have the change to get one of these sweet-hearts, you will not be disappointed!

Submitted by Ron Taylor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
if you love the sound and looks of the reference series from marantz and have speakers that can be bi-amped this is a must have!
i have a pm-17, cd17-mkll and st-17 with custom modified dynaudio speakers that i've been using with complete satisfaction for about a year.
two weeks ago i added sm-17sa and was amazed at the results! the sound suddenly became much more full. i heard sounds that seemed in the background come forward. it seems like a whole new system. i expected a change in quality, but, nothing like i received!

High End: