Marantz PM-15S1 2-Channel Amplifier Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Inspired by the already legendary SC-7/MA-9 combination and derived from the top class PM-11S1 we are proud to present the new Marantz PM-15S1. Coupling impressive design with outstanding performance we feel our engineers have created a worthy successor. The amplifier is built according to the new Marantz premium design without any visible screws, a heavy double layer chassis and a slightly blue illuminated front. The 3-stage construction with full Current Feedback and with short, symmetrical signal paths, independent left and right heatsinks, and new HDAM-SA2’s ensure dynamic sound and perfect stereo imaging. Shortest signal path, best components, reduction of external noise and other will further extend the quality. Derived from the PM-11S1 we are using the electronic linear volume control WM8816 from Wolfson. The PM-15S1 reflects our engineers’ passion for pure music, designed with the true audiophile in mind.

Submitted by hifimike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have read numerous statements and a review or two about this amplifier. Some statements I agree with, some i do not. I have owned the Marantz PM15 S1 for 4 years and to my ears, it is the best amplifier I have ever owned.

Now I am a musician; intimately familiar with the sound of live, unamplified music in an acoustic space. I have been a card-carrying audiophile for 25 years. When it comes to amplifiers and preamplifiers I have owned and/or do own the following: NAD 5230, B&K ST140, Superphon Revelation Basic Dual Mono, Forte 4a, Forte preamp, MFA Magus preamp, Audio Research SP11, Classe 70, Musical Fidelity A220, Parasound Halo gear, Accuphase E205, Audible Illusions Modulus II. I don't THINK I have forgotten anything. Currently my associated gear is a modified Denon DVD-3910, Basis 1400 Signature with a Jelco 750, Monitor Audio Silver 9i and Cardas cables. Just an FYI, these speakers are HIGHLY revealing. I have also used this amp with PSB Image T65.

There are 3 things that must be done/noted before seriously evaluating this amplifier.

1) This thing has an extremely long break in period. Figure 200+ hours and during break in it may not sound that great sometimes.

2) Throw away the stock 18 gauge power cable and replace it with something that is around 12 gauge. This gets the bass going and the soundstage opens up. I have tried many and the Cardas is ideal, the Shunyata Venom is great for the money. Another one is the cord offered by Quite Zone.

3) One reviewer commented on the "apparent gutlessness" of this amplifier because he had to turn it up so high to reach adequate volumes. THIS IS WHY: This uses the Wolfson chipset which provides LINEAR volume control. Anything else that uses a conventional volume control (aka: a potentiometer) uses an AUDIO TAPER and full volume is nearly achieved by the 11:00 point on the dial. The amp is not gutless, the reviewer did not know what the differences were between different style controls.

Now to the sound. This amplifier is the smoothest, grainless and least colored amplifier I have ever owned. It does lean slightly toward warmth, but it keeps it composure during complex passages and maintains a black backdrop from which the detail emerges. It can be dynamic as hell, when the recording allows it. Timbres can be so real at times it can almost be spooky. The overall transparency is superior to my Classe 70 or Forte 4a with a passive pre.

The bass is articulate, full and tunefull. It is not going to make you throw away your Krell 250 monos in the low end, but the Marantz (after break in and a power cord) does very well. Imaging is deep and wide. Close mic'd recordings pop way forward just like they should. This amplifier simply does a very nice job. The build quality is excellent by the way.

The last thing I will mention is the phono stage. So many preamps and integrateds install phono stages almost as an afterthought. The phono stage in the Marantz was no afterthought. It is the best phono stage I have ever had. Clear, clean, quiet, musical, dynamic. It does justice to expensive cartridges without breaking a sweat.

Overall, I have not had the desire to move on to something else. It is good enough that when I want better sound, I just improve my front end and I get what I am looking for every time.

Submitted by D_Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am using my PM-15S1 with an Integra multi-disc player and a pair of CS1.6 s'., AudioQuest cables. While the setup is in my bedroom and not my primary listening area i find this combo to be more than ample for any bedroom. A solid piece of gear. smooth, effortless, reliable. I love it.

Product model year:   2009