Marantz MM-9000 Amplifiers

4.8/5 (25 Reviews)

150 watts x 5 channel power output (into 8 ohms), featuring fully discrete output topology with high-current output transistors. The MM-9000 can drive even difficult loudspeaker loads with ease. Oversized power supply featuring a massive toroidal transformer and high-capacity electrolytic capacitors, for generous power reserves even when reproducing demanding action movie soundtracks at high volumes. Premium-quality internal components used throughout for maximum signal purity. The MM-9000 reproduces movie soundtracks and surround sound music discs with extraordinary clarity, resolution and dynamic range. THX Ultra certified-the highest level of THX certification available, given only to audio/video components that meet the very highest standards of performance and sound quality.

Submitted by Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
This is one amazing amp!...well in my case two...I have two of these which I use to be amp 5 B&W speakers...cdm c se center, cdm7 se mains and cdm1 se surrounds. And what a deal I purchased both for less than $800 total! These amps in this configuration is hard to beat running at THX levels in my home theater but for critical, 2 and multi channel audio listening they are supurb. The sound from the mm9000 is classically warm which helps tame the somewhat forward sounding tweeters on the b&w s making for a full, engaging and articulate sound field which never comes off harsh or fatiguing. I find the 150 watts into 8 ohms rating to be somewhat conservative as I have owned higher wattage amps that couldn't keep up with this amps dynamics and headroom...the power seems limitless with no hint of distortion.

If you are looking for a THX ultra certified 5 channel HT amp that doubles as a great way or multi channel stereo amp, and you can find one, don't hesitate. I believe they are one of the best deals you can get on the used market.

Submitted by fejo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
This box is a Slient Killer. i was wondering why marantz stopped prodcuing these any more. I have combined it with Multiple receivers yet i am able to get the sound i need. very neat, doesn;t run hot even after several hours of listening. I love this amp. the only thing in my HT which has not changed since i bought.

Submitted by 1967chevelle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I added it to my Sr-7200 marantz receiver which is powering rm7500 polk speakers. It powers 4 more Polk LSi-9 speakers for my second set of surrounds, polk LsiC for my second center and a velodyne cht-12 for my second sub. Marantz told me to expect around 230 watts/ch since I´m driving a 4 ohm load. Most spkrs are 8 ohms. When you have less resistance the amp naturally gives more power. This twin system is in the corner of an open 1000sq.ft. basement. There are 10-1 inch, 16-5.25 inch, 2-10 inch and 1-12 inch spkrs pointed at my head. The new spkrs are connected with 10 gauge python wires. Everthing else gets monster cable.
I had 5 weeks of vacation to break in my system with an assortment of sacd´s, music 5.1 dts dvd,s and movie 5.1 dts dvds. I can say they needed a break-in period. As time went by they just kept sounding better. I had a friend over to listen to the Queen dvd. He brought his wife and two children. He had the volume up so loud that his wife and two kids had to cover there ears. He on the otherhand wore a big smile. I luckily can still hear and can say that with all the peak indicators lit the amp still deliverers crystal clear music. The scene with the bi-pod racers in star wars 1 is like you were right beside the thing. Another friend listened to the first scene of twister and called it tramatic. Compared to the Rm7500 alone without the new amp engaged the system still sounds good. The difference with the new amp is in the way the sound engulfs you, its just every where and its much louder. The accuracy and depth is very good. I listened to a demo which included much more expensive components. Johnson Conrad tube amp hooked to smaller front and center martin logans and boston acoustics for the rear. All audiophiles know the johnson and logan to be in high high end territory. However I thought my sr-7200 hooked to my rm7500 sounded almost as good. With the additional mm9000 I don´t think the johnson and logan sound any better!!!! I was told that treating the walls and ceiling can make make a difference. The walls at the demo were cement block, not good. My walls are solid concrete with a partial 4 ft. wood wall, not good. I think ceilings were similiar. I do not consider myself an audiophile and I suppose a trained ear would say the conrad produces a cleaner sound, for $10,000 it better. For the money I don´t think you can go wrong. It sounds much better than my denon
and ac hc-6 system. Just like the denon system sounds better then the kenwood htb-204 system. $300 for HTB-204 system, $1000 for the Denon system and $5000 for the Marantz system. Get the picture. Better sound equals more money, alot more money. I enjoy all three systems, however some more than others!!

Submitted by Ed L a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
My modest home theater components are a sony 7000 dvd player, sony str-da777es receiver, nht super 2 towers, super center, and super ones for surrounds. All cabling is analysis plus. I am now using the marantz 9000 and my 777es as a prepro....this made a huge difference. The NHT's need a lot of power to sound alive and the marantz has done this.

As a reference, I inserted my modest NHT super twos in my 2 channel system, sony scd 777es sacd player feeding my bryston amps into the super twos....well, the brystons offer a deeper/fuller bass with better control of the woofer. Part of this could be attributable to the 777es player which is still a reference standard known for extreme clarity and bass for playing redbook cds. Brystons are also known for their bass control. My 2 channel rig costed multiples more than my theater stuff. For the money, the Marantz is a great fine. Highly recommeded. Adding this amp has brought out a snergy in my gear...the 7000 dvd is one of the best interlaced player to date and a great transport, the str-da777es pre-pro is straight for sony's 9000 prepro with the exact same dacs and powerful processor (outstanding bass management, and the sweet sounding marantz is providing enough current to feed the nhts.

Purchased At:   accessories4less

Submitted by mikeacarroll a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I really didn't think this unit would make huge difference since my Receiver is Marantz 8200, but WOW. Hearing so much more depth and clarity, focus, harmonics amazes me. I have good connecting cables and an acoustically neutral room but the improvement is noticeable.

Purchased At:   accessories4less