Marantz MA-500 Amplifiers

4.68/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

THX, 125W

Submitted by Wardsteiner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
(don't know the exact date of manufacturing, due to second hand buying)

Bought 3 of these blocs to power my homemade 2.1 system.
Running them on home-build monitors and a cheap-ass car subwoofer (awaiting the case to be painted at a car-painter with high-gloss black) and I'm stunned...
These blocs never run out of breath and I must be honest: I like to listen to music loud..
Home-made electronic crossover devides my sub frequencies and protects the monitors that can't stand the RMS power these boys provide.

Nevertheless amazing blocs to have, and even now with a simple passive pre-amp directly from my PC they work amazing

Submitted by Craig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is s simple one, and I'll keep it so. These amps absolutely ROCK. Period. They made Stereophile's RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT list--more than once, if I remember correctly--and there is NO questioning why. Just LISTEN to some of these, and prepare to repeatedly ask "Now HOW MUCH did you say these things cost?" Seriously, these amps cause you to re-examine spending $1,000 a channel for amps like Proceed, etc. As far as the review from "M", I did a little research into the problem that he (and James Bond) were facing with the "...No "air" to sound. Voices are muddy, sounding like the vocalist has their hand cupped over their mouth...", and I found that the problem wasn't with the amp at all, but instead, I pointed out to him that at the bottom of the grille on the front of his speakers, there was a little logo that says "BOSE". Indeed, THAT turned out to be the culprit of his problem of bad sound. In any case, I've got 5 of these that I run every day, and have done so for well over 8 years. I haven't had even the SLIGHTEST hint of a problem with them, they have lovely, open, effortless sound, and there's always plenty of reserve power/headroom. I've driven everything from American (Phase Tech Premier Class), to Swedish (Audio Pro Bravo Series), to French (JM Labs Grande Utopia), and even a DUAL-18 passive sub with these, and they have never, EVER broken a sweat. I've yet to find a task they cannot handle. Sub-bass-only applications to multiple-driver, astronomically-priced-mids-and-highs duty, and ALL accomplished with ease, panache, and INCREDIBLE sound. This amplifier can do crystalline mids and highs, and just as easily do full-range or "sub duty" down at 20 Hz, and do it WELL! Marantz, along with being able to demonstrate absolute mastery of cost-no-object sonic perfection (with models like the MA-9S2), really showed what they were capable of in the arena of price/performance amplification, and the resulting product has effectively DESTROYED other paradigms of what something at such a ridiculously low price can POSSIBLY DO. This little amp can do whatever is asked of it. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Purchased At:   Media Systems, Houst

Submitted by hbtaj2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have been using these amplifiers for ten years. I'm not an audiophile and I certainly can't afford extremely expensive equipment. I have never had one complaint with these amps. With a simple look, they unleash a powerful and CLEAN sound that is anything but simple. They have never given me any trouble and a flawless ten year streak is amazing for any product, let alone one that is used on average 5 hours a day. These amplifiers are worth their weight in gold. A must have for anyone looking for that extra KICK. I easily would've paid more than $600 for a pair.

Purchased At:   Third Party

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
This monoblock amp is unreal! Powering my 3ohm/200-20hz/250watt passive subwoofer with the MA-500 has changed everything I thought I knew about bass response. For $102 bucks you would have to be an idiot not to buy one.

Purchased At:   eBay.ca

Submitted by Hifiguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have listened to these amplifiers extensively through several different speaker systems from Definitive, MB Quart, and Paradigm, and I have always come away impressed at the smoothness combined with solid bass. Dynamics are excellent, too. But the best thing about these amps is their incredible flexibility; as has been demonstrated by many of the reviews here, they can be used so many ways. And they built with amazing quality for the price. Typical of Marantz best products.

Purchased At:   An AV specialist