Manley Laboratories Snapper Amplifiers

• XLR Input Sensitivity: 4V RMS
  • RCA Gain: 32dB

Submitted by jonathanpp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
Dear: friend

I'd like to write a concise review of the snapper, as one of my amp collection.
I would describe the pair of monoblock as an agile, fast and solid state like but with more twist in the top mid end.

Standard tubes from the package is the EH new prod of EL34, but one of the driver tube is GE JAN Nos.
As to the sound, perhaps you may be mistaken by the sound of a solid state amp, because of its tight lower frequency repro, and a little metalic on the high frequencies. but when it comes to the mid, especially vocal, it realy gives back a very sweet sounding character of a tube amp. However, as to my experience, perhaps the top end could be a lot sweeter and provides more details if we change the EH tubes to a better set of
NOs EL34. But of course for a sweeter mid and top end, you would want to go for a KT88 or 6550 amp, some says that the shape of the tube glass represents the character of the sound..(EL has thinner and leaner sound compared to KT88 because its shape is slimmer)

Overal, I am quite amazed with the snapper, as it gives back authority, drives of a solid state amp class like the Musical fidelity academy, but also provides the sweetness of a pure tube amplifications..

A Great performer.. Great value and a serious amp to consider owning for the next 5 years or so..

Regards
Jonathan
Singapore

Submitted by jimwiz111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I traded my Mahis for the Snappers and I am totally satisfied. The Mahi's would stress a little under high output and that is where the Snappers shine. They are big and beautiful with a full sound to match. LPs tend to have less output than CD or HD radio sources so it's benficial to have the extra power. I rarely get over half volumn on my Shrimp pre-amp. There's more than enough power to drive my Paradign Monitor 7s (v2). In fact, I am considering upgrading my speakers to handle the extra power. Sound is smooth and detailed at all volumn levels. Base output is there as well. I have no regrets. I've purchased my last power amps.

Product model year:   2008