Llano Design Group MINI-MONO A50 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Pat Scoggin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
These little Llano Design A-50s really surprised me. I bought them to use in my smaller system and I learned that even though they are rated at 50 watts per channel they will hold their own with an older 100watt Adcom amp I have. These little black beuties are small enough to place directly behind my speakers. That is an advantage plus they have plenty of bottom on 12" wolfers. They are warm, liquid and are priced right. I was told they can be purchased in a 10 watt or 25 watt version as well.

Purchased At:   Llano Design Group

Submitted by Pat Scoggin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
These little Llano Design Group A-50 Mini Monos are a pleasent surprise. I bought them to put in my smaller system and they do a great Job. They have a lot of bottom even on 12" wolfers. These little black beauties are clean and warm. Do not let the 50 watt rating fool you they will hold their own with my older Adcom 100 watt amp. The fact that they are small enough to put directly behind my speakers is an advantage.The price is right for the bang and you can get them in 10 watts, or 25 watts if have horn speakers or you are into home theater.

Purchased At:   Llano Design Group

Submitted by Dave a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:
These are fantastic little amps. They are absolutely thecleanest-sounding amps at this price. Fantastic extension
in both directions, very well balanced, and accurate. The
fact that they come as an aesthetically pleasing pair of
little monoblocks that can be placed directly behind the
speakers is a definite plus. I ended up selling mine to a
speaker manufacturer who loved them and used them to test
his speakers. I don't expect to replace the level of sonics
they offered without spending much more money.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Harvey a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1998

Bottom Line:
Recently I had the chance to audition a friend's A-50's and compare them to my current amp (DIA 100 MkII). SO, I hooked them up after playing a few favorite tracks and noted that the Llano's have: excellent top and bottom extension, lots of slam, a fairly neutral bandwidth, a slight warm and "liquid" sound without sacrificing any resolution or detail. The A-50's seemed to breathe more life into the sound of my system over the DIA (being a tad too neutral and dry). These little black boxes made me realize that my tube lust could be well satisfied by the gorgeous sound of these hexfets. For a kilobuck it couldn't get much better. (P.S. If the kilobuck is not a problem--plan on having lots of patience as my friend waited 8 weeks for his.)

Submitted by Doug a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have held off a while posting, to really let the "wow" factor wear off, andnot post a "initial impression".
What I notice most about these little jewels is the amount of detail they provide. Very linear in operation. Don't be mislead by the 50 watt rating, these
have all the balls of a 200 watt amp. I have tons of headroom, and I run multiple sets of speakers. For the heck of it, I tried them running 4-12" subs,
again very clean, robust and fast. I saved a long time to get these, as I am married and couldn't afford "the big boys" (Krell,Pass,CJ,YBA,etc,etc).
I feel they are transparent, and neutral. They are very easy to listen to, and
provide a "lifelike" presentation of any source material, and I think many people would be happy with these solid, well built units.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile