LINN LK-85 Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $795.00

Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by JerryPease a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Superb imaging, very detailed, Fast, Accurate and above all it can accommodate Linn electronic crossover modules internally. If aktiv speakers is your game then this is your amp, it is the most inexpensive way to go. Double speaker connection allowing easy bi-wire speaker installation and it come with pre-amp input and outputs for easy bi-amping. I own two of them and they are used for surround duty in aktiv configuration.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by Riwe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
The LK85 is a fine-sounding, well-built amp with some nice features. A huge improvement to the old LK100 and the entire 'old range' of Linn amps. Very tuneful and musical, it represents exceptional value and for $600-$700 it is a true bargain.

Not only a fine-sounding amp, it has some nice features as well:
* It can host Linn AKTIV crossover cards
This is an amazing upgrade and the
improvement is *huge*
* 'Standby' mode, which reduces the power
consumption when no signal is detected
on the line inputs.
This saves some precious money
on your electricity bill...

System context:
Linn Genki CD player
Linn Kolektor Preamp
2 x LK85 Amps fitted with AKTIV Crossovers
Linn Tukan speakers (active)
Linn Kan II speaker stands
Linn K400 Speaker Cables
Linn 'black' interconnects

Summary: This is a great little amp. Go listen to it Yourself and let your ears be the judge!

Submitted by wayne hudson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
The perfect small to medium room amp. Add to that they they are capable of handling Linn Aktiv modules and you have an amazing quality for the price.
I was using one initially and would highly recommend but I am at a loss for words on how good these sound as part of an Aktiv system.

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are the lowest power rated Amps that I have used. I am bi-amping Magnepan 1.6QRs with them. They seem to be an excellent match. My pre-amp & CD are also from Linn. These were the latest addition to my system, replacing 2 B&K 2140s(rated at 140wpc/8ohms). Immediatly I noticed a faster, more dynamic presentation of my music. My system sounded more "realistic". The pitch & decay of all music was more natural. More power is not as good as quality power. I would recommend that anyone searching for an emotional presentation of music should at least take a look at Linn.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
When recently auditioning pre-amps as an upgrade to a Carver I had (which I was never all that happy with), I decided upon a Kolektor. So, logically, I had a look at the Linn power amps too.

Initially, I thought the LK140 would be my best choice, but when I heard a pair of Ninka speakers driven in active mode through a pair of LK85 amps, I changed my mind immediately. The level of resolution, detail and bass control were overtly improved with the aktiv arrangement, and the imaging improved to the 'reach out and touch it' kind of holography that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. I encourage anyone planning a Linn purchase to do the 'head to head' on the passive vs. aktiv setup.

Two LK85's with cards are more expensive than a single LK140 (about $1K CDN MSRP), but the sound improvement is huge, and I'd be surprised if anyone auditioning the system didn't think the 'extra' cost is worth it.

I realize that this improvement may be primarily due to the aktiv cards, but since they're only available for the Linn amps, I feel it appropriate to mention them here. Of course, the aktiv cards mean that you'll be buying Linn speakers too.... Suffice it to say, I was impressed enough to change an initial look at a power amp to pair a preamp I liked int the purchase of a preamp, two LK85's with Aktiv cards and a pair of Ninkas. I've been happy ever since. I think you'd have to spend LOTS more to get better sound.

Award-Winning Axiom: