LINN LK-100 Amplifiers

4.17/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

50w x2 Channels

Submitted by M-2B a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
Well well well...

Got it out of the box in mint condition.
First impression: Very heavy, small, build quality is superb.
Judgeing by the looks of the item, I say it could have cost me 5 times more.
I payed 200 GBP.

Sound:
1. The sound is a bit forward. The soundstage is open, but not too open. It begins 50cm in front of the spekers and goes deeper.
2. Timbers - they are moderately presented, but well enough.
3. The sound is neutral in the direction of warm. It has a silky touch. It is calm, not agressive.
4. It is vunarable to cables, both power and IC.
5. Requires good pre, may be paired with much more expensive gear - it's classy enough when playing.
6. Depth - it is very nice, you can feel the distances between sounds.
7. The instruments are larger then normal. This gives impression of being closer to the music, very nice effect, magical indeed. Linn has it's magic. Very romantic and sentimental. You may have a feeling of taking part of music. Linn definately is not a piece of equipment that plays for itself. There may be better gears at that price, but few can give you the feeling they are playing for you, personally for you, like musicians in jazz club when you are close to the stage.
8. Intstruments are close to eachother, but they are very well separated. Holographic localisation is very good.

LK100 definately has a touch of magic. Quite like ... I recall Metaxas Iraklis II. It had this smooth magic too,
but was way better, and 5 times more expencive. It was not 4 times better, maybe just better.
This Linn is a real bargain for its price.

At the end I'll say: Buying this item was an experiment. I wanted to see what people see in Linn.
Now I know, and I am afraid I will get sucked into this magic.. :)

CU,
M2B

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I began with a 2nd user linn classik driving new B&W 603(S3) speakers, all sound organisation stands and racks and 2x3m cabletalk 3.1 biwire with plugs.
This system beat all other British systems at similar price points for music such as Zappa, where timing and precise imaging where vital.
1st LK100 was biamped with the power amp component of the classik, tweeters ran from the LK100, bass from the classik's onboard power amp. BIG improvement! Made me want to try another, so now I have two LK100's biamped using the classik as a preamp. Next step is Genki + Preamp or even (payrise pending!) Ikemi + Preamp and use the classik in the bedroom. Yes, i've sold my soul to linn, but have I mentioned that the addition of the 2nd LK100 snapped everything into focus? Now Norah Jones sounds like she's whispering sweet nothings in my ear while Yello shake my sofa while tearing my heart from my chest with wild noise-abuse...I like that sort of thing, you see, and we don't get too much of it in Yorkshire..next stop active!

Purchased At:   Sound Organisation (

Submitted by Jaavz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hello again, I posted the review just below this one and I recently got a 3rd LK100 so I'll report on it's performance. I put the Keilidh bass xovers in it and now I actively triamp my Keilidhs, with frequencies above 80hz. Everything below that gets sent to 2 velodyne CT120 subs. There now seems to be no limit to the amount of clean power I can put out of this system in a room 16' x 25' before my ears start to hurt. These amps are cheap now that they are discontinued and can be found on ebay, Audiogon and right here at audioreview. If I could do it all over again I'd get these amps again.

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I currently actively biamp my Linn Keilidh spkrs with 2 LK100's. I recently purchased a McIntosh MSD4 surround decoder and was concerned that it would reveal shortcomings in the amps but instead, my system's fidelity improved greatly. The amps are clean, detailed, very dynamic (due to active triamping with a LK100 treble amp, LK100 bass amp, and 2 Velodyne CT120 active subwoofers transducing everything at 80 and below), VERY 3 dementional in stereo, and convey the detail and warmth of the MSD4. They are powerful. In a large room they can reproduce full frequency range and great dynamics up to the threshold of pain (from 20' away) without even a hint of clipping. However, to achieve this quality of fidelity from these amps you MUST have all high-end components throughout the entire chain (not just source, pre-amp, and transducers), but vibration dampening platforms and racks, high quality line conditioners, and room acoustic modifications. The entire back wall behind the front spkrs must be covered with sound-absorbing material thus making it acoustically dead (non-reflective of sound). This will reduce standing signwaves and sharpen detail and imaging to an unbelievable degree. I also have the front half of the side walls treated with absorbant material to further illiminate standing signwaves. These are currently discontinued but can be found used at a good price. They are built VERY well and solid and can probably be past on for at least a generation or too if they are not abused.

Submitted by Riwe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a good amp, it has a "clean" and tuneful sound and is quite powerful. However, it lacks control compared to newer Linn amps such as the LK85. Also, timing is far from perfect.

The LK100 is a good low-cost alternative for those who want to "go active" with Linn amps, active crossovers and speakers since it has built-in slots for the active crossover cards.

Even though it is a good amp, and You can pick up a used LK100 for $400-$500, You will get much better performance from a LK85 at almost the same price.

Purchased At:   Takt & Ton