LINN AV 5125 Amplifiers

5/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Designed to provide a compact high density amplification solution capable of delivering pitch accurate sound quality for multi-channel home theatre and multi-channel music. Five adaptive demand driven channels of Class V modular power amplification High density switch mode power supply and Class V amplification. 500W power output into 8 Ohms Power amplifier power saving standby mode. Accepts internal active cards Bi-wireable loudspeaker outputs. Additional line out for daisy-chaining channels Switchable voltage ranges for worldwide operation
  • Type 5-channel class V modular power amplifier
  • Weight (11lbs)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Robert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
    In 2005, I made some change arround my HT, I came across the Linn 5125. I purchased my first amp, brought it home, plug it and I was amaze how beautiful sound could come out this little amp. So I bought another one to go AKTIV with my LINN speakers front and center. WOW, WOW and WOW, what I big difference, so I took a look at adds and bought my third amp to go all channel AKTIV. I can say that, I can watch a movie, listen to a concert or listen to my music and have the best sound of all.

These amps seems to do exactly, what an audiophile power amp is supposed to do: It amplifies and delivers exactly the audio quality to the speakers, which it receives from the upstream signal chain. It does not add, nor does it cover up anything.

If you can, go AKTIV it's worth it.

Submitted by Mr Peabody a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
    It should be noted that the MSRP on this site is incorrect, the MSRP is $2,999.00 US. When I first learned about this 11lb amp claiming to do 100 wpc and a price tag of nearly $3k, I had my doubts. Howeve, I soon became a believer and fell in love with this amp. It's very small compared to other power amps, it virtually no heat output, and has auto turn on. When the input senses a signal the amp automatically turns on. I hooked this amp up on it's shelf and forgot about it, very convenient.

I will limit my comments on music since the only music this amp is used for is an occasional listen to the music channels on cable or if I don't feel like switching my system, I might drop a CD in my DVD player. Both are running into my processor via Toslink digital, so no real stereo listening via the analog inputs of my processor. I do have a couple concert DVD's I checked out.

My system is a Primare P31.7 preamp/processor, the LINN 5125 and Dynaudio Contour t2.5/t2.1 front and center and A52's for rear. Prior to dropping the 5125 in my system I used an Arcam 3 channel in front and and Adcom stereo in the rear. I've also used Krell on the front L/R with the Arcam doing the center and rear.

This amp has an incredible midrange. Dialogue is very audible, clear and the entire soundstage is very airy. The 5125 delivers more micro and macro dynamics than I usually hear from solid state amps. The highs are extended and more forward compared to the Krell. The amp some how generates enough power to drive my Dyn's loud as I care to listen. The bass response sounds different to me than a high current amp like Krell or Arcam. The 5125 in the upper bass had detail, like a bass line or tom toms but the lower bass seemed to lack detail and thick. This was a weakness I was willing to live with since the amp was for HT anyway and the midrange was so seductive. I did eventually upgrade the stock power cord to a MIT Z-cord II which helped the bass response detail and the overall presentation become more sweet.

I don't know if it was an advantage of having all amplification in one box or the LINN's ability but with the 5125 in my system I gained noticeably more detail from the rear channels and the movement of the effects around the room was better.

At first I thought this amp was on the expensive side but after hearing it in my system and adding in the convenience factor, I now find the AV-5125 a good value and have no problems giving it a high recommendation. It also made me a believer in digital switching power supplies. It may not slam like Krell, few amps do, but the AV-5125 gets the job done and the adjective I attached to this amps sound is "seductive". It really draws you in and the soundstage makes your speakers disappear. The AV-5125 offers most everything anyone would want out of a high quality home theater amp.

Submitted by Sengir 666 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
    This is a perfect power amplifier, very nice sound and especially when the speakers are bi-amplified.
    Linn is expensive but real high end products
    I listen it with the old 5103 and what a amazing sound... maybe better with a Kinos.

Purchased At:   Audio Synthese

Please add "Linn AV-5125"

Manufacturer: Linn Website: [url]www.linn.co.uk[/url] Name of product: AV-5125 Category: 5-channel power amplifier Price: $ 3500 (€ 3000) Image: [url]http://www.linn.co.uk/spec_sound/product_display.cfm?ProductID=143&activeNavBar=products&activeSubNavBar=Playback[/url]Read More »

Atlantic Technology: