LINN AV-5105 Amplifiers

Stereo Power Amplifier - 100 Watts

Submitted by neilburton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Having read the existing reviews, there's honestly nothing more to say. This power amp is absolutely superb in every respect. The model is fairly unheard of, probably because it's sold as part of the AV51 range, as opposed to purely hifi. It's clean and powerful, whilst exhibiting distinctive Linn musicality; and in terms of performance, i'd say it's not far behind a Klout (and is certainly more affordable, especially in aktiv systems!).

Purchased At:   Peter Tyson, UK

Submitted by Jerry Pease a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent amp! If you look inside the amp you will find it is a spin off of (2) Linn's LK-240 with a smaller power supply and less output transistors. I currently own three AV5103 over the last 3 years. They have all performed perfectly, never had one problem. Bass is tight, Midrange and High's are so perfectly detailed. I am on a quest in going totally aktiv, so far I am short one amp. Hope to have the last one by 1Q2002. Based on my ears I would place the AV5105 somewhere between the Linn AV5125 and the Klout. Of course the Klout being better.

Related Equipment:

Control:
Pre/Pro - B&K Ref 30

Playback:
Power Amp - (3) Linn AV5105 and (2) Linn LK-85
Loudspeakers - Center, Linn AV5120 "AKTIV". Main, L/R Linn AV5140 "Passive by-amp". Surround, Tukans "AKTIV".
Subwoofer - Sunfire Signature.

Video:
RPTV - Sony 53XBR45, ISF Calibrated by Louis Carliner.
DVT - Canon Vistura.

Misc:
Remote - Phillips Pronto.
Home Automation - ActiveHome.
Spkr Cable - Linn K600 & K400.
Interconnect - Linn Interconnect Leads.
Power Conditioning - Monster Cable MP-HTS5000.

Purchased At:   Store

Submitted by Tom Morgan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I hope nobody finds out about these amps. Prices could
go up. I have three of them. For the folks below.....I
traded an ML for these. Actually I traded two ML's for
these. ML is okay but simply does not sound as good as
these Linn's. Traded a Krell for one of the ML's. God was that a blessing. Leave the ML's for those that don't buy
with their ears. That is what they are made for. Watt Puppies????? Listen for more than an hour and tell me about Watt Puppies. Ask yourself why you are wanting to stop listening for a while. I have not owned these but I've listened to them many time. One of my buddies is afflicted with them.

Submitted by ALEX IRWIN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think that Claude and Dan above me have pretty much captured the essence of this unit. I only wish I could get my hands on another on so I could use them as monos. I have had more amps added to my unit that I care to speak about. Fortunately my wife is a patient woman and seems to understand obsessive behavior because any other woman would have divorced me a long time ago! Like Dan, the Levinson and Watt Puppy combination would be the one that finally sets me at ease. I have a settlement coming from an "on the job injury" and the combination might just one day be a reality! Until then, I know that the Linn gives me the "eargasm" that I require.

Purchased At:   SWAP MEET

Submitted by Claude D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have the good fortune to be using 3 5105's for my front three active Linn speakers (Tukan L&R, 5120 center). I don't know exactly what to ascribe to the amp and what to ascribe to the active crossover / speaker, but the combination is stunning. It is effortless, musical, and most importantly it disappears and leaves the music to be enjoyed. Bass performance is tight, detailed, and full. Midrange and highs are very relaxed yet detailed.

At this price point, it's a steal!

If you have passive Linn speakers, upgrade them to active. If you do so, consider the 5105 as your amplifier (though the LK series aren't bad for the money).

You should also include this amp in your short-list for other speakers.

PANAMAX: