Krell KSA-250 Amplifiers

Class A Power Amplifier - 250 Watts

Submitted by Igor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Have been running this amp now for four years bought it used in 1999 for $3100, great control of bass, sweet midrange, smooth highs, and rock solid soundstage, feels like this amp has unlimited dynamic range. I am powering a new pair of B&W N805's with this amp, and a CJ tube preamp. Before the B&W's it was powering an old pair of Snell's I bought new in 1990. I have played both the Snell's and my new B&W's with my friends ML amp and we both agreed the Krell does a better job on both of the speakers. Krell makes awesome amps, with excellent build quality, I will never sell this amp!!

Purchased At:   locally private

Submitted by Joe Kovacs a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have never listened to an amplifier that is able to reproduce music with such an authenticity and give the listener a live feeling of the performance. All this at any sound level. Me myself I own a Steinway concert piano and therefore I know how a realistic music reproduction should sound like. I can recommend this Amplifier

Submitted by Sam Sneed a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I almost wasted a lot of money on A Krell FPB 300 before my local dealer suggested I listen to a KSA-250 he had taken in on trade. Side by side the KSA 250 sounded more musical to my ears. The bass was a little tighted and the highs were to die for. Plus for only $4300 it was a steal and nearly half the price of the FPB300. I have now had the KSA 250 in my system for over a year and have no intensions of ever replacing it(why mess with perfection). My Martin Logans have never sounded so good. I Highly recommend any one looking for a FPB300 to check this one out first, you will be glad you did.

Submitted by Jean Pascal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a second hand KSA250 balanced last year.
It sounds marvellous and lets me drive the speakers with an unbelievable ease.
It has the splendid Krell sound with a remarkable bass.

I used to be a Mc Intosh fan. I owned one before the Krell. The Krell plays as much music as the Mc but wit a far better bass and a much more precise soundstage.
I could hear the ML333 which did sound as musical as the Krell though it is a good amp.
There is Krell and there are all the others. sorry for the others.

Due to the price of second hand pieces, it is a real bargain.

System
CD : Krell KAV 300 cd (5 stars)
Pre : Krell KRC3
Amp : Krell KSA 250B
speakers : Infinity Renaissance 90
cables : MIT

Submitted by Nick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am using my KSA-250 for over 5 years now alongside several other high-end power amp's. It sounds very much in the Krell tradition with top to bottem coherence, extremely deep, tight, clean, punchy and organized bass, natural, clean and coherent midrange, very lush, open and detailed high's.The soundstage is extremely big with pin point imaging and is in this respect more like the best tube power amp you can imagine.It takes the KSA-250 about an hour after power up to sound optimal.The heat dissipation is enormous and must really been taken into account in smaller rooms.The KSA-150 creats much less of a problem in this respect, really a big difference, much more than you would expect from the power ratings. Because of the very neutral character of the KSA-250 you can steer the sound any way you like with your front-end stuff.With the Krell KBL it sounds very quick, transparant, dynamic and honest.With the Cello Encore the sonic signature is slightly more coloured but still very neutral, transparant and spacious.With a Jeff Rowland Consummate the presentation is softened and a bit euphonic.Because of the enormous transparancy of Krell amplifiers, and the KSA-250 is no exception, system matching is very critical.The coloration in particulairy the higher bass octaves of a Sony ES player, overipe bass of a Mark Levinson 38S or the poor resolution of the lower high's in many Audio Research preamplifiers is easily displayed by the KSA-250.I have tried many cables, if not all, on the Krell and can give the following reconmendations:LS Cable:Try Kimber Black Pearl, Transparant Music Wave Ultra/ Reference/Reference XL, Fadel Art The Stream - IC CD/pre-power amp Try Siltech FTM-G3 (not the older Siltech's!), Fadel Art Reference One, Audioquest, NBS King Serpent - Powercable Try standard Belden cable, MAS

High End: