Krell KSA-150 Amplifiers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $5000.00

150 Watts

Submitted by Art S a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Owned a KSA-150 back in 1994, but I do remember the sound of it well. In fact, I always write down my impressions of a piece of gear throughout the period that I own it in case other components change in or out, I have a better idea of which units do well together and which don't - and why. But I have wanted to post my observations here, since I don't think many of the reviews I'm seeing on the KSA-150 & '250 are all that accurate.

I've owned a lot of amps before and since the '150, and some definitely had better mids and highs, and comparable bass response, while others of course would fall flat in the presence of the Krell. The ease by which this amp can handle any speaker made is useful for those who need to drive difficult loads like certain Martin-Logan's, Apogee's, Maggie's, B&W's , Thiel's, etc. However, even with its big current capability, it can be pushed into hardness with "only" 150 wpc/8 ohms.

But for all of its positive attributes, I never could really feel completely satisfied with the '150. That's because from the midrange and up, it just seemed too aggressive and unsubtle. Not only because I've been a tube amp fan, but because I know other SS amps can display dynamics, control, bass response, and soundstage specificity like the Krell, but they can do so with greater finesse and attention to micro-dynamics and harmonics.

The KSA-150 is a good value on the used market for around the $2K point, as an anchor for the low end in a bi-amped system, or if you have very low impedance/low efficiency speakers. As a full-range, main amp - there are better choices sonically.

I give it 4.9 for bass response, 5.0 for low impedance handling, and 4.95 for build quality, 4.8 for macro-dynamics/power handling. 3.0 to 4.5 for everything else.

Submitted by GORD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
THIS AMP IS GOING TO KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF, THE LOWS HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS LOW. YOU CAN FEEL THE POWER AT ANY LEVEL AND IT SEEMS TO BE RELENTLESS. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE OF THESE AMPS ANYWHERE FOR GODS SAKES MAN GRAB IT!! I'VE BEEN ENJOYING MY ROTEL FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS AND FELT THAT I DIDN'T NEED ANYTHING BEYOND THIS UNTIL NOW. AS GOOD AS ROTEL IS,I'M SORRY TO SAY, THE KRELL BLOWS IT AWAY. IF I COULD RATE HIGHER THAN A 5 I WOULD.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by david a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
if u can find one of these amps buy it
my current system is as follows:
ksl preamp
ksa 150 power amp
mcintosh mcd7009 cd player
acoustat model 3 speakers infinity modulus 15 sub
audioquest midnite2 spkr cables
mit bal and single ended cables
this setup is very smooth with or without sub

Purchased At:   traded

Submitted by SERIOUS SEVEN a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have couple the KSA-150 to a pair of Apogees slant 8's electrostatic speakers and there is no problem what so ever.....Above that i'm using the Mello's refrence(up- graded with balence inputs and outputs) pre-amp with vampire interconects.....Then on top of that i have the Monarchy 22b D/A converter with four Burr Browns inside piggy back....On top of that there is the Genesis Lens jitter box with the Sonic Frontier SFT-1 transport and last be not least is my baby the big bad Day Sequerra Refrence tuner with the "classic upgrade" ......From the Sonic Frontier to the Monarchy 22b i'm using the kimber D/60 bnc and sometimes i put in their orchid cable balance........ From the D/A converter down everything is balance in and out ....BLESS JESUS ...!!! FROM D/A CONVERTER TO THE APOGEE'S CLASS "A" IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO ..! If you run across a KSA-150 grab it and run buddy ...!

Purchased At:   HI-FI EXCHANGE

Submitted by Bruce a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Short and to the point !!!!

If matched with the right pre-amp and Mit or Transparent balanced cables are used it does not get much than this!!
*My final match for balance was the Krell KSP-7B pre-amp and the Krell KSA-150 amp w/MIT Proline balanced cables.
Both units were from the early 90's and are around on the used market fairly cheap. (KSA-150 used=$2100.00 & KSP-7B used=$1100.00)
If you have a difficult pair of speakers like mine(Thiel CS 3.6's)this amp has all the balls you'll ever need, with plenty to spare. The sound still blows me and all of my friends and family away to this day.

POWER / POWER / POWER = KRELL