Krell KAV-500 Amplifiers

4.94/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $4500.00

5 channel amplifier, 100 W at 8 ohms, 200 W at 4 ohms

Submitted by Lifeinsepia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've had this amp for about 8 years now. I've never ever had a problem with it. I recently was in the market for a new cd player and tested a bunch of them at local shops. What I learned from that experience was a fantastic appreciation for my Krell KAV 500i. I started with the KAV 300i and then moved to the 500i. The 500i is soo much better in terms of musical impact. And then I just used it for ... years and years. And, like I said, it wasn't until recently when trying other expensive amps in connection with trying cd players that I came to appreciate the musical impact of the Krell. I'm not an audiophile's audiophile. But I like my music to sound sweet. And the Krell 500i does the trick in spades. I'm sure it is old stuff these days, but if you are thinking about getting a used model -- have no concern about whether this models is capable of delivering the sonic goods. Pry it from my cold dead hands.

Submitted by Eli72 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This amp is for those who want the best sounding multi channel amplifier and one of the best musical sounding amps as well. Clean crystal sound, tight extended bass, powerful enough to move almost any speaker without a problem. Not much to say, this is one of the best sounding multi channel amplifier period. If you mostly listen to music but want something that does movies as well then this is a great choice. Built like a tank. It’s a KRELL what else can I say.

Submitted by Greg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
very warm, very clean amp. careful on the cabinetry, must have ample air feeding it. soundtracks are great, i use the amp for surround on occassion, but the two channel aspect is magnificent. find a used one if you can, greatly surpasses the new line

Submitted by chinman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
was contemplating the kav-1500 but the kav-500 will handle almost any load. Used in conjunction w/ my hst1 preamp, the sound is nothing short of pure bliss. The detail and transparency is outstanding. Not bright even with my goertz silver sapphires. Great bargain if you can find one used.

MY HT: http://www.geocities.com/chinje2000/ht.htm

Submitted by Billy Taylor a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a solid built amp that works extremely well with my martin logan logos center speaker and the two front speakers which are martin logan Requests. In order to bring out the best this amp has to offer I use the Nordost Silver
shadow digital capble to connect the Toshiba SD 9200 with the Krell Home Theater Standard. Straight Wire Crescendo Cables connect the amp to the two front speakers. I am very pleased with this amp and it is very beautiful to look at. My wife even likes the way it looks and souds. It is wonderful having her approval.

60.0 WA BLACK: