Krell KAV-250A Amplifiers

4.46/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

250 Watts

Submitted by Doug a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
I de-moth balled this amp a few weeks ago as I have been going through my vintage mid 90s gear. I recently purchased a Citation 7.1 to add to my collection of Krell, Procced Amp 2 and the Citation. All 3 amps shine in their unique way, but after listening to the KAV 250 again, I'd had forgotten how good this amp really sounds. At least in my system, this amp actually has more detail, transparency and bass slam than the KSA 100s I used to own. Granted I'm using a Krell Showcase Processor and prior to that a Proceed PAV with the 100s, but the differences in sound is almost startling. I would love to find another 100s and compare now as I'm going strictly on memory between the two. Regardless for around 1200.00 you can pick one of these 250a's up and you won't be disappointed.

Associated Equipment used:

PS Audio Powerplant AC filter
Transparent Musiclink Plus cabling

Submitted by ossi76 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2015

Bottom Line:
I use this amplifier in combination with a Vincent SA-T8 tube preamplifier and a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90 and bought it for 1200 Euro in 2013. After using a pair of Rotel RB 980 as mono blocks this amp was the next step.

This amp does everything better than the Rotel monos.

250 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohm with a 2k Watt transformer should be enough power to drive almost any speaker. Especially my Renaissance 90.

A powerful precise amp with a great soundstage. Deep precise bass and nice mids and highs. In my opinion it is a great combination with a tube preamp and planar mid and highs.
The tube preamp was a great improvement over the direct connection to the Oppo 105 player.

I think it could be also a good amp to drive Martin Logan or Magnepan speakers. Compared with other Krell amps this seems to be an underrated product because it's not a class a amp and it hasn't got the dimensions of the big Krell amps.

But: maybe this is the most advantage of this amp: it's quite small, so it fits into a normal rack and it has all the things we love about Krell amps. Strongly recommended for people who need a real powerful and stable high end amp.

Submitted by powerhouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Fantastic Item. I have used severeal amps over the last nearly 20 yrs. i bought it because had a kav 500i in use for a couple of years and always loved this fast, precise and natural sound. only lacking of the 500i was resolution due to the preamp built in - nevertheless a fantastic integrated. the kav 250a is the same kind of amp, only gives it freedom to the preamp. with my levinson 380s the result is just stunning. the kav 250a is one of the quickest amps on the market. combines strength, precision, natural sound and control with ability to detail. detail embedded into the whole. very homogenic. power cord and main supply effects are massive. i prefer the 250a, dont laugh, over the fpb 300cx which i had used for a year. 250a even performs out levinsons 336 in naturality with the same ability to dynamics. fantastic machine.

Submitted by JCC3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I use a 250a for the mains and a 250a/3 for the center and surounds im a 5.1 system, including the HTS2 preamp and a Jolida JD100 CDP.

Cold NO, precise YES. absilutley accurate once you learn to trust them. Bass slam and speed are unparallaled. HF is wonderful through BW 802s. Presentation soundstage is wide somtimes shockingly so (I have been startled by sounds emmanating from so far afield I couldn't beleive it was the system).

All in all I can't imageine and haven't heard anything under 5 large that comes close.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Hificrazy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
This amp drives the PSB Stratus Golds without compromise. I hear comments on
how krell amps sound cold and sterile but this is simply not true. They do not
sweeten up the sound in any way like some people might prefer. They only
reveal what is in the recording and the fingerprints of other associated equipment.
It is possible to make any equpiment sound bad given the nearly endless
possibilities of system matching. The user must take time to experiement.
After 3 years of ownership I'm still quite pleased with its performance.

Purchased At:   friend