Krell KAV-250A Amplifiers

4.43/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

250 Watts

Submitted by powerhouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Fantastic Item. I have used severeal amps over the last nearly 20 yrs. i bought it because had a kav 500i in use for a couple of years and always loved this fast, precise and natural sound. only lacking of the 500i was resolution due to the preamp built in - nevertheless a fantastic integrated. the kav 250a is the same kind of amp, only gives it freedom to the preamp. with my levinson 380s the result is just stunning. the kav 250a is one of the quickest amps on the market. combines strength, precision, natural sound and control with ability to detail. detail embedded into the whole. very homogenic. power cord and main supply effects are massive. i prefer the 250a, dont laugh, over the fpb 300cx which i had used for a year. 250a even performs out levinsons 336 in naturality with the same ability to dynamics. fantastic machine.

Submitted by JCC3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I use a 250a for the mains and a 250a/3 for the center and surounds im a 5.1 system, including the HTS2 preamp and a Jolida JD100 CDP.

Cold NO, precise YES. absilutley accurate once you learn to trust them. Bass slam and speed are unparallaled. HF is wonderful through BW 802s. Presentation soundstage is wide somtimes shockingly so (I have been startled by sounds emmanating from so far afield I couldn't beleive it was the system).

All in all I can't imageine and haven't heard anything under 5 large that comes close.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Hificrazy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
This amp drives the PSB Stratus Golds without compromise. I hear comments on
how krell amps sound cold and sterile but this is simply not true. They do not
sweeten up the sound in any way like some people might prefer. They only
reveal what is in the recording and the fingerprints of other associated equipment.
It is possible to make any equpiment sound bad given the nearly endless
possibilities of system matching. The user must take time to experiement.
After 3 years of ownership I'm still quite pleased with its performance.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Riki_Stefano a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use the Krell KAV 250a with Thiel CS 3.6 The Thiel's need an amp that can best control the base without compromising the delicious mids and highs. The KAV 250a is a superb master of base. The base is crisp and fast. The highs are detailed without being harsh. The mids especially voices have the ability to touch the soul. I can listen to the combination at live performance levels for hours without fatigue. I find that the combination has the ability to impact emotions (not something you hear very often about solid state devices).

I expect to use the amp for at least 10 years. An amp you must listen to before spending larger amounts of green

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Tommy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently bought Krell KAV-250A from my friend who is also a definite audiophile. I tested many amps before I bought this unit and for 2.1K, I can tell you that this unit is the best bang for the buck. I put it against medium level amps such as Aragon 8000B, ARC D400II,D250 mkII McCormack and BAT 200,Ayre,Belle and I felt that this unit is superior. A comparable solid state amp to this amp at its time was the Krell KSA 80B. From old reviews, the KAV-250A sounded better. What turned me off with the old Krell KSA was that it was Class A and it always ran like an oven (waste of electricity.)Unlike the KAVs runs cool. I also actually liked the sound of the Krell KAV-250A better than the ML 332. The KAV-250A was not so laid back and had alot more power. Plus the ultimate reason for buying this amp is that it has incredible bass. Extremely tight and controlled. I have not been able to max this amp out w/o going deaf. Top rating from all the top audio magazine when it was in production and definitely a top rating from me.ighly recommended A+++++++++

Purchased At:   friend