Joule Electra VZN-100 Amplifiers

100W into 10 ohms

Submitted by jruhnka a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased Merlin VSM/M speakers (wonderful speakers by the way) which I was driving with Cary CAD 300SE LX20 tube monoblocks. At 20 watts/channel, the Cary's sounded wonderful with the Merlins, but didn't have quite enough oomph. So - I had read a number of reviews about how the Merlins always demo'd at the electronics shows with Joule Electra VSN 100 Marquis OTL monoblock amps, which have 100 watts per channel - and are a match made in heaven with. Since I can't afford the newest Joule VSN 100's, I bought a pair used on Audiogon - probably about 5 years old. Well - everything they say about the Joule OTL magic is true! They sound more "real" and "you are there in the room with the performers" than any other amp I have ever heard and I have heard many many great tube amps, including the big VTL 250 triodes (which I owned). To give more perspective, my "other" amps for these speakers are a new pair of Bryston 7B SST monoblocks - which are dead reliable and very, very, very pure and low distortion, as well as powerful as all get out. Well, the Joule OTL's sound more powerful and dynamic on the Merlin VSM's (I have the tube crossovers)and one whole level more "real" than the Brystons - this is with both sets of amps being driven by the wonderful Joule LAP 150 preamp/phono rig. The "you are there" quality of the OTL is hard to describe if you are not there - it is not the result of an ultra-detailed high end, which the Merlins have in spades, but seems to be centered in mid-range harmonic accuracy and dynamic power and "jump". See if you can take a listen to a Joule OTL amp some time - it is quite an experience!

Purchased At:   Audiogon