Jolida JD-1301 Amplifiers

30 w/channel tube/mosfet hybrid amp

Submitted by Fredly K a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I’ve procrastinated long enough, so here’s my opinion of this “little giant”.

I’ve listened to this little amplifier for over a year…daily, and continue to be amazed on its performance.

I’ve also been inside of this amplifier so many times I’ve lost count and can vouch for its simple yet efficient design. (LM1875 opamp based solid-state amplifier – Gaincard anyone?)

Although this little guy is rated at only 30 measly watts, I can attest that it sounds like a hell-of-a-lot more.

For most people, I’m confident this amp will more than please you. Given a capable front end, it really covers the full audio spectrum well, liquid highs and low, not-flabby, bass.

For tweakers, this amp is a total wet dream;

· Replace the factory tubes (Electro-Harmonix my current favorite)
· Over ride the balance pot (what’s it there for anyways?)
· Override the selector switch (hey, I use it for CD listening 99.9% of the time anyways)
· Upgrade the internal hookup wire (to Belden OR your favorite boutique wire)
· Install an IEC (so you can do some power cable swapping)
· Replace the volume control to a stepped attenuator

and VOILA, you’ve just cranked the performance of this little demon up a notch or two!

Friends are constantly in disbelief of how such a small box can produce such a HUGE sound. (This amp introduced me to the concept of “soundstage”).

Marry this little baby with a modified ART DI/O DAC, Jon Risch’s digital and analogue interconnects, and you have yourself a MAJOR front-end that costs under $1000 Canadian ($600US) and can hold its own against the big boys.

(My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio 80’s (a VERY nice speaker for the price) and my little Jolida and them are a match made in heaven.)

I’m a realistic individual and realize there are most certainly better sounding amplifiers out there, but for the price, you just CANNOT go wrong.

Jolida support has also been awesome, first rate. I’ve phoned them up on numerous occasions and found them approachable and prepared to help in any away they can. (they freely sent me schematics, try THAT with a different company).

It mystifies me why they simply don’t sell these things by the boat load, but with little or no advertising budget, and working on simply word of mouth, I guess that’s why not too many people consider them during there amplifier selection.

I have he

Purchased At:   Codell

Submitted by SeanC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Simply put this is the best integrated amp I've heard so far regardless of price. If you figure in the low price of $600 Canadian (tax included) Jolida could be the best bargain in audio today.
Previous to having the Jolida in my system I had been using my old home theatre amp (Carver HTR-885.1) as part of my dedicated music system. The Carver had lots of power and a bypass setting for 2 channel stereo but tended to just throw up a wall of sound without much nuance. I was looking for something a little more musical. I auditioned integrateds in my price range ($500 to $1000 Canadian)by Arcam and NAD. The Arcam A75 had a nice full sound but was a touch laid back. The NAD just didn't make it for me at all. Enter Jolida. Thanks to a local Ottawa seller, Omer at Oz Enterprises (www.ozenterprises.net), I was able to bring a 301A home for an extended test drive. After the simple hookup I popped in "Story of the Ghost" by Phish and sat back to listen. What I heard was nothing short of astounding. This is a CD I've listened to hundreds of times but I was hearing new stuff all over the place. The soundstaging was wide but precise. Treble was clear and airy with no sibilance. Mid-range was full and warm with no hint of grain or edge. The bass was also clear and quick but just a tad loose. This won't be a problem for most but if you listen to a lot of hip-hop or funk you may want to look at the bigger brother of this unit, the 1701A (rated at 50W per side instead of 30).
The unit has a very clean look inside and out. The front panel is the definition of simplicity with only a power toggle, source selector, and balance and volume pots gracing the black steel faceplate.
And all of this in a very small package. Other reviewers have commented on the size and I will too. You can't believe the sound that this little unit puts out!

Even my wife insisted we had to buy this thing and she is the ultimate audio skeptic (ie it all sounds the same to her)! Anyone thinking of dipping their toe into the tube pond via one of these hybrid integrateds owes themselves the favour of listening to Jolida.

My System:
Sony DAT

Purchased At:   Oz Enterprises

Submitted by Adam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been trying to scale my system own after realizing that home theater didn't really interest me. So out went my ADCOM multi-channel amp and NAD surround preamp. The more dificult decision was what to get to replace this gear. I was interested in trying tubes but wasn't ready to plunk down large money. I entertained the idea of building various kit amps but wasn't sure they'd drive my speakers (Totem Mite, 87 Db at 8 ohms)or that I really knew enough to tackle the job. That's when I read about and became intrigued about the Jolida hybrids. After doing a lot of research and speaking with Bill at Response Audio I decided to take the plunge. I figured how could I go wrong for $325. I admit I was a bit skeptical when I received the amp and saw how small and light it is. But the sound has been truly wonderful. Much smoother and warmer than my previous amp/preamp. It is not a tremendously revealing amp, but that does not detract from itat all. Its real strength is a very musical presentation, with a wonderful midrange and nice highs. The other thing I really like about this amp is that I am finally able to find the perfect listening volume. Before, music was always too soft or too loud. I don't know if the Jolida excels in this regard because the tube pre smooths out harshness and distortion or because the volume pots are of high quality or some combination of the two. Whatever the reason, I now find it very easy to listen to music all night long.

Any complaints? Just one. I think a tape out should be standard.

Bill at Response Audio was great to deal with. Before I got the 301 I was convinced I really needed the more powerful JD 1701 but Bill felt otherwise (at the expense of a bigger sale) and he was right. He also upgraded the tubes at no cost.

Purchased At:   Response Audio

Submitted by Doug a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This little hybrid amp is a real find. I am using it in an office system with a pair of small 2-way monitors and it is really clean and quiet. Obviously not for low impedance or sensitivity speakers, but in the right application this is a good choice. Excellent build quality for the price.

Purchased At:   Uptown Audio

Submitted by Tan Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had many unfruitful years juggling between the Tube and Solid State worlds. The reason is simply after all this hassles, Soild State amps provide better attack and control while Tube amps has a extra emotions and warmness. The problem here is: these 2 different tonal qualities are mutually exclusive!!

When i was first introduced by Mr JP of Advance Acoustics to listen to this 30 watts hybrid design from Jolida, i was having certain sceptics that this hybrid idea of Jolida really works. First of all the unit doesn't look BIG, heavy and impressive, it can fit easily into a shoebox. Secondly, the "high-ish" output impedence of the tube pre-amp section is going to cause problem matching the input impedence of the solid state power-amp section. However, when i discovered that the power section is a MOSFET design, it clears my later doubt and certainly rings a bell that it might just be something interesting !!

Thanks to the courtesy of Mr JP, I had extensive listening sessions comparing between the 1701 and the 1501 which are of higher power outputs. I must certainly conclude that this modest 30 watter is a Gem. Although the bigger brothers carrying 50 and 100 watts offer a smoother, quieter presentation and having better bass control, this little bugger still holds a competitive edge that its not to be out-shined by its brothers ...... it has a neutrality and lively sparkle that is not found in its bigger brothers.

I owned my 1301 for 4 months now, i am well impressed that I finally get something which is the "best of both worlds".I suggest anyone with a less than $2,000 to listen to this baby, u might get yourself the bargain of the year!! Due to its livelier tonal balance, better results can be acheived by matching with more mellow sounding cables.

I am now considering modifying to detacheable powercord and trying out some 12AX7 pre-amp tubes in replacement to the standard chinese tubes provided. With the fine musicality and these two upgrading path together with a friendly price tag .... what else can i ask for !! 5 gold stars ==> no doubt at all!!

Purchased At:   Advance Acoustics