Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 5 Power Amplifier Amplifiers

- Power Bandwidth 0.15 Hz to 250 kHz, -3 dB.
- Slew Rate 75 volts per microsecond.
- Damping Factor Greater than 175, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 ohms.
- Output Current 40 amps peak, continuous.
- Sensitivity 36 mV, 1 watt, 8 ohms.
- Input Impedance Selectable: 100k, 20k, 600 ohms.
- Power Requirements 100V-240V.

Submitted by jack a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
Living in France for past 5 years-my 5 is in the states now at a friend's- used to drive top of orginal Apogee Full Range - they are perfect for my ear-completely tricked by Jeff- I may want to sell them-but -but perhaps the Apogee also

Purchased At:   soundex

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the balanced version. I am an tube person and this is the only solid state amp that I would keep in my house. Nuff said about how musical sounding it is!

Don't wanna repeat the previous comprehensive reviews by other members.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by jgm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Yes, there are other JRDG Model 5 fans out there, and I am one. I purchased this amp to replace a ML No. 29 which I used without fail for over 10 years (to drive Acoustat Spectra 2's). I loved the warm, transparent quality of the ML but felt the bass was a tad soft (see my review of the 29 elsewhere in audioreview). What the ML lacked in utmost bass pitch, definition and speed, the Balanced Model 5 tightened up and controlled with greater authority and "effortlessness". Yet, the Model 5 retained all the other qualities of the little ML I came to enjoy so much.

I purchased the Balanced version of the Model 5 which had been fully upgraded at the factory (it retailed new for $6500). The amp is as smooth and non-fatiguing as any you will ever hear. Some people think it can be a bit too laid back (to the point of sounding dark), but I have always found the music that runs through it deeply involving. The amp simply doesn't draw attention to itself...it just makes music. You will not find the forward, exiting, aggressive quality of other solid state amps here. Although those qualities seem to impress at first, a marriage they do not make (for they have always leave one in want of something different). The Model 5 is refined, sublte and above all, effortless. It has dynamics to spare at all listening levels...and the midrange comes through without flaw. From human voice to acoustic instruments to hip-hop to rock, the amp just gets the midrange right everytime. It is one of those amps that still gives me goosebumps when listening to music I have heard a hundred times before.

I have owned amps from Kenwood, Adcom, Hafler, Forte and Counterpoint in addition to the ML and I have auditioned many other big name amps too. The only amps I have found that compares well to the Model 5 are the current Pass Lab behemoths and those from CJ. This is the kind of amp you buy when you care more about music than the status of the latest superamp.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Katli Audio, Chino,

Submitted by boggl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Interesting to see no reviews on this amp!
These Amplifiers are Wonderful to listen to. I was so impressed I had to get two($2200each). Bridged Mono Left and Right. First of all these amplifiers are HUGE! 142 pounds each crated shipping weight. Beautifully black machined faces, Side walls of Solid Heatsink, two handles in the front and two in the back(Takes two people to move it). XLR balanced inputs with a Selectable Impedance of 100k, 20k, 600 ohms. This is an excellent feature for matching Preamps/ Tube or Solidstate. They definitely make their presence felt in the room. I “upgraded” to these from two Threshold SA/12e monoblocks. I had no intention of changing amplifiers until I did a side by side comparison who brought over the Model 5 - but I was comparing TWO Thresholds to ONE Rowland Model 5! And the Single Model 5 out performed the mono-blocks! I gotta tell ya WOW! The Warmth and Soundstage improvement. It’s like there is no Amplifier in the Music’s path. “Transparent” I’m hearing things with amazing clarity. Like light scrapes from Michael Hedges fingertip on the soundboard, Whispering voices behind Rush’s 2112. Bringing increased detail to the already “magical” Soundstage of my Acoustat Model Six’s. I get no Listening fatigue. I just want to keep increasing the volume. My Girlfriend swears the center channel is on(Martin Logan Theater). Now that’s good soundstage! The only limitations these have are the original music source/other components..?.(And Possibly “your” Speaker system) Other than that I can’t find any except these babies run Hot! Pure Class A! Where’s the other Model 5 fans?

Purchased At:   Internet