Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 2 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $5800.00

75 Watts

Submitted by zz5573zz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
Quite simply the best amp I have ever heard. It really has no weaknesses. It is built as if for the Rajah himself and sounds accordingly. Bass is tight, tight, tight and fast. Very dynamic amp. Mids are very neutral, very precise. No coloration whatsoever. Highs are effortless without any hint of edginess or grain. Very silky smooth- kind of sounds like a tube amp. Overall a must hear. You can easily spend twice or triple and not best this amp. It is really that good. Probably the best 2 channel amp JRDG has ever produced, or anybody for that matter!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Fernando Lezama a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well. I bought the thing again, sold it almost two years ago and going for Naim and tubes in the meantime... I am back to Rowland again.

The model 2 is the best way to describe a tube-sounding amp in a solid state design. No.. it does not have the magical mids of the best tubes, but the midrange is pristine, the bass is well controled and has a refinement in the musical presentation that could become your last investment in amplifier for many years to come.

Submitted by Ken Louis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Model 2 doesnt have the
inner detail of tubes or the best SS powers but it has an ability to presnt macro etail in rhytymic fashion.
make sure you dont try to use it with insensitive floorstanders as the sound suffers in loss of speed and clarity.

Initially used it with cardas cables as recommended by dealer, the already meaty mid bass was over exaggerated, deep bass becoming boomy with no definition .
ive since switched to silver audio which gives a more honest presentation.
With Jeff Roland, its an extreme, either you like it or hate it. His designs have a signature warmish and dark tone bordering on being coloured.

Since owning the model 2 from 1997, ive heard newer amps in the mkt with better resolving power and yet maintaing a warmish tonal balance,The newer Rolands like the Model 10 , Boulder, Goldmunds and Ayre are a good examples of this.

In this context, the model 2's have become less of a 4 star product.

Submitted by Fernando Lezama a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I owned this amp for almost 12 months, upgrading from a Model 1.Differences in sound were not trivial, I had the chance to compare it to a model 8 and found minor differences (Avalon Avatar, Wadia 6, Rowland Consonance)

Pros
1.'- SOund transparency
2.- Bass definition
3.- Of course, build quality

Cons
1.- A little sensitive with AC line (blowing fuses constantly)
2.- Not as energetic as gryphon or metaxas
3.- Proce-performance

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by David a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased rowland model 2 to replace my McCormack dna1 deluxe. I had been very satisfied with the McCormack untill i heard a friends goldmund amp. The goldmund had ungodly clear highs and had to be the fastest amp i ever heard. Now i knew there was something better than the McCormack. I began to searh for a replacement amp. I auditioned a Levinson 331..to dark...a goldmund ...to thin and a bell 1001 mark 1v. The bell was the best of them. It is a very special amp.. each instrument isolated with tone and texture. I did not buy the bell because of cost. I knew i would eventally want mono. bells which would cost + 7200$ I had heard a rowland with dunlavy speakers a while ago and i rememeberd them. I was hopeing the rowland would have the highs, detail,and speed of the goldmunds and the tone and richness of the Bell. It did. Vocals are exceptional. Natural and clear with good pace. The base on the rowland was as good as the base on the levinson. And of course i should mention i bought the amp used thus saving big $$ so my opinion is not tied to money spent. But hey rowland has a transferable warranty so no risk to me. I think it is a tie betweem bell 1001mk 1v monoblocks and the rowland, but the stereo rowland is better than the stero bell..but not by much both amps are to die for. Rowland is more transparent bell has better definition of each note .

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Hi , about HK model 2 speackers

Hi,every body I am newly joined from india, I dont have a decent system. But love the high ends very much I am buying one very soon. Let me know about speaker Harman Kardon HK Model 2 or it may 3, bookshelf (i am not sure) HK 620 amp, I listened to it sound great and within my budget ($45 ... Read More »

LSA model 2 speakers from DK Design....Better than B&W N801's ?

I was looking around on the audiogon forum and found these threads on these speakers.... [url]http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1105848801&openusid&zzLrsky&4&5[/url] and [url]http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1118548305&openflup&10&4#10[/url] [url]www.dkdesigngroup.c ... Read More »

Which amp to use with Vandersteen model 2?

I'm considering buying the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature loudspeakers, and I'm looking for an integrated amp to power them. There's a promotion on the Arcam A85 (85W, EUR1200 (was 1500)). Furthermore, I was told about the Densen Beat-100 MK V (70W, EUR1350). In reviews on the Vandersteens I read t ... Read More »

Which amp to use with Vandersteen model 2?