Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 102 Amplifiers

Specs
Output Power: Continuous RMS
@ 8 ohms - 100 watts
@ 4 ohms - 200 watts Input Impedance: 40k Ohms
Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 65kHz, 3dB Common Mode Rejection Ratio: >85 dB, 20 Hz 20 kHz
Peak Output Current > 11 amps Absolute Phase: Non-inverting, Pin 2 Positive
Dynamic Range: 110 dba Inputs: 1 x Balanced XLR
(Unbalanced operation requires an optional XLR to RCA adapter)
Load Impedance Range: 3 ohms - 16 ohms Outputs: 1 Pair CE-Approved Binding Posts
CCIF Intermodulation Distortion, 14/15kHz: < .0005% 10 W 4 ohms Power Consumption:
Idle - 10 watts
Maximum - 500 watts
Damping Factor @ 1 kHz: 1000 Amplifier Weight: 7.4 lbs/3.4 kg.
Overall Gain: 27 dB Amplifier Dimensions: 2.7"(H) x 13.7"(W) x 7.5"(D)
68.5mm(H) x 34.8cm(W) x 19cm(D)

Submitted by Scott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
I believe the MSRP is closer to $2000, but really don't care. I bought mine used in like-new condition for about $1100 a couple of years ago.

Regardless - I'm a JRDG fan and had the goal of improving my system and reducing my power consumption at the same time. My system is on 24/7.

My previous amp was a much beloved JRDG Model 1 - a real classic, but hungry power-wise if left on all the time. Naively thinking that JRDG amps of current vintage sounded like the older amps I bought a 102 without hesitation after reading of it's low power consumption when not active. To my surprise and disappointment the 102 sounded nothing at all like the Model 1. Regardless, I was able hear that the 102 had what I wanted (though a very different flavor) so I completely re-worked my system to accommodate the new amp. In the end I had an improved system with lower power consumption, which met my goal.

In summary: The JRDG Model 102 has what I want and more. I don't know how it rates against the competition as I now live out in the sticks and can't hear all of the latest like I could in the past. I do know that the JRDG Model 1 is a real classic and that I've been able to get even better sound out of my system with the 102. JRDG makes great products whether or not they are right for your system. My current Model 102 amp paired with my legacy JRDG Consonance preamp really rock (figuratively speaking) in my Hi-Rez system.

BTW: Because I leave my main system on all the time, switching JRDG amps has saved me about $25/month on my electric bill.

Cheers

Submitted by ozzie olonan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've owned and tried both tube & ss amplifiers with turntables, cd players, and hard drive based digital players. The Jeff Rowland 102 power amp is really a keeper. Match it with a jm lab focal + rega, and it sizzles. I partnered it with a Thorens 125 + dyna 52/quad 12L > clean sound, just musical! This product is a lot better than most integrated amps in the $2000 range in terms of resolution, dynamics, accuracy, and musicality. Great buy, Highly Recommended!

Product model year:   2007