Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 1
Description: 60 Watts (1989-1994)

Submitted by Scott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
Wow - the last review was in 2002? The JRDG Model 1 is an audiophile classic!

2013 - For those of you doing your homework I have nothing but praise for the M1. I lusted after the Levinson #29 for years (years) and when I could finally afford one it couldn't compare to the M1 in my system at the time. A good lesson as the #29 is a really great amp, but a system is a system and not a single component.

The Model 1 is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful sounding Class A (I believe) amp by any standard - even the highest. I leave my main system on all the time and switched to a current model JRDG amp (the 102) to save on power, but had to make many, many adjustments to my rig to make it work.

The Model 1 is an audiophile classic and I do not say that lightly. Give it a try if you think it might work for your system.

Cheers

Submitted by Joseph Murray a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
At the time of purchase it was my single most expensive audio purchase ever. I think that I have experienced a gradual growth in amplifier ownership. This Jeff Rowland is without a doubt the most enjoyable amplifier that I own. I currently have the classic ADCOM 535II, Forte Model-1, and Golden Tube Audio SE-40. All provide excellent enjoyment for the money, and I have felt nothing but pleasure at each level, but this is the first amp, in which I have not wondered what was at the next level. The Jeff Rowland Model 1 has superb build quality user defined utility reliability and most of all it has palpable sonic characteristics. I have paired it with an Audible Illusions L1 Pre-amp, Martin Logan Aerius I speakers, Kimber Kable Silver Streak, Hero interconnects MIT MH-750 Bi-wire Shotgun speaker cable Hsu VTF Sub, and most recently Sony SACD players CE-775 and NS-500. I cannot even begin to explain the satisfaction that this system has given my family and me. This amp compares with Audio Research Classe Plinius Mark Levinson and BAT products. I know that there are super components out there, but at this price range I am in sonic heaven. I highly recommend it on the pre-owned market.

Purchased At:   Audio Systems, Austi

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Incredible Amp

Submitted by Stig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is maybe one of the best amplifiers ever made. Really a true classic this one. I have listened to it with different models of Proacs and Audio Physics and it does a great job with all of them. If you want something that is just a little bit better than this you will have to pay very very big money. And then... If you can get one of these secondhand, then go for it!

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is like a German Shepherd dog: It does not excel in any single area, but it does all things very well. It runs in class A mode up to 25 or so watts and it has reasonably high output current: 22 continuous amps and 55 amps at peaks!