Harman Kardon PM-660 Amplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $595.00

80 Watt Hi-Current Intergrated Amplifer/Pre-Amp (1980-1984)

Submitted by Ari a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have the same LED-blowing problems as the previous user , and sometimes one channel goes awry , pressing the mute button in and out corrects the problem . The amp sounds absolutely beautiful and is super smooth and controlled . Bass is tight and highs are not too bright on vintage B&W DM12's ( I don't like too bright ) .

Nice thing is the phono stage , supporting 2 decks , MM/MC cartridges and variable capacitance ( normal/+50/+100/+200nF ) . As other reviewers say , by-passing tone controll is the way to go , by pushing the " direct " button .

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought on Ebay to originally power my TV, I decided to hook it up as a stereo only for music. I then replaced my speakers, finally ending up with the Vandersteen 2 CE's. I was concerned that it would not have sufficient power to drive these relatively low efficiency speakers, but it does a very nice job. Until, I can affort a serious amp I will be happy with its performance. I did change my cd player from an older Kenwood to a Newcastle/Sherwood 680 which made a difference in clarity and smoothness. I realize that all equipment has limitations to some degree, but for what I paid ($128 shipped used)I cannot but give this integrated amp less than five stars for value and overall. Performance would be 41/2 as there is always something better.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Audio Master a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is a great amplifier, the sond quality is only out-performed by tubes (in my personal opinion). The bass and treble response are like magic. The main direct switch is great for audiophiling (I personally never turn it off). My only concern is that the panel lights burn out rather quickly and it is nearly impossible to get parts from H/K. Also they do not do in house repairs anymore, they send it to a shop in alabama...

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by DUCKLING a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Excellent amp if you bypass the tone controls.

Award-Winning Axiom: