Harman Kardon PA-2200 Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $630.00

100 Watt Bridged Mono Capacity Power Amplifier (1992-1995)

Submitted by froze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a great sounding reliable stereo only amp, and you saw one for sale used...get it. You should be able to buy these for between $100 to $300.

I have the PA2200 and I can easily drive the largest JBL speakers made in 95 to wall and floor shaking volume called the L7's. This means that the amp will drive the vast majority of speakers on the market without breaking a sweat. If you want to enjoy the full capability of this amp then get floor speakers, the small sat speakers just don't deserve an amp of this kind of power.

The sound of the amp is also really pleasant, it's clear and strong with a wide detailed stage. The amp does great for all kinds of music from classical to metal, and movies just explode with full realism. I never noticed any increase in brightness of sound as the sound level goes up, it just remains extremely composed which is unusual for a electronic amp, though I never gone to max levels because it's just way too loud even at the half way mark. Sure there are better sounding amps it you want to spend a thousand dollars or more for an amp!

I had the amp set up for years with dual speaker cables going to each speaker, but a few years back I got a 65 watt per channel tube amp and now that amp powers the mid and highs on the JB7's, and the HK drives the 12" base speakers. I found the tube amp to have a more natural and musical sound quality then electronic amps, but their costly to buy and to own. But the tube amp thing may have more to do with the JBL L7's that tend to have a brighter sound due to their titanium tweeters, and the tube amp just gives them a lush, warm sound.

Submitted by nyindallas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amp never fails to please. I am using it in bridged mode to drive a big and very inefficient center channel. It does it with ease.

Submitted by timorhu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the PA2100 Signature Series, not the PA2200. The PA2100 is rated at 65 watts instead of the 100 watts. I bid low on this amp when I was looking for a small amp for a bedroom system. I put in my living room system to try it out (replaced an Acurus A200). The amp has been running for a few months now and I couldn't be happier. The sound is full-bodied with plenty of detail and a nice soundstage, something lacking in the Acurus. In fact I preferred this amp to the Acurus and I ended up selling the Acurus and will be looking for another 2100 or possibly the PA2200 or PA2400 amp to see which one stays in the living room and which one goes into the bedroom. That pretty much says it all. No problem giving this amp a 5 star rating in the value catagory and it was much better than I expected.

Submitted by Anders a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have bought 2 of theese amps from
private sellers. (Not at the same time).
I use them bridged for a pair of Canton
RC-S Loudspeakers and they really fits
perfect for theese speakers in my opinion.
The bass and midrange is very good but
the treble can be a little harch at
higher volumes, even if it could be adjusted at the pre-amp.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by Anders a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use two of theese to drive my front
speakers (bridged)in my home cinema
system with a H/K AVR 7000 as pre-amp.
I bought both of them for a total 540$
and i must say that it was a bargain.
I think in bridged mode yoy can really
drive nearly anything in the home audio
selection of speakers and they really sounds great on every sound level.
Very thight and controlled bass and dont
loose control even if you push them very hard at high volumes. Midrange and treble
are very precise and detailed as well.

Purchased At:   Private