Harman Kardon Citation 24 Amplifiers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $595.00

Discontinued Amplifier

Submitted by linux4me a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are well built amps, I have a citation 22 and 24, but they are made by Marantz, yes thats right not H/K, they branded it. Some of these units came off the line not biased correctly, and sometimes they burn up when playing them loudly. The service manual is correct for the settings, but both of my amps were not right, and outputs blew on the 22. They are good amps, but certainly not on par with the older Citation 12 or 16 wich were true designs designed my Fances Coda and later Nelson Pass. Although I run a pair of 901's on the 22, I prefer to listen to my Citation 12 with a Dynaco PAT 4 with it. The 12 is rated at 60 per per channel, and is direct coupled rated on a square wave. I truely think the 12 is the best buy on Ebay, and I assume you came here to look at the ratings on this amp in order to buy one. Look at the Citation 12 and Deluxe (has cabinet), you wont be sorry. But if you must have this amp, get the matching pre amp such as the citation 21 or 25 so it sounds right. Good luck.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've owned the Citation 24 amp for over ten years, and never had any reason to think that I could improve the sound by changing amps. Handles volumes to any rational level, without distress.

Purchased At:   electronics store cl

Submitted by Quenton Kilgore a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great amp I have 2 they are my baby amps and I run them hard but they take everything I put them through. They are under_rated at 100w RMS per channel. I tested them into a 8ohm load network and I ran them for about 15 mins at 175w before seeing them stagger and that was probably because of the amount of heat that they were trying to dissapate without any fans to help. I bet with good cooling they could do 200w or better but I wouldn't recomend it.

IF your looking for a great used amp and you run across one of these babies snatch it up. I am a tech of about 12.5 yrs and this is one of the better built products I've seen.

My Amplification System
Processor: Rotel RSP_960AX
Center Amp: Harman Kardon Citation twenty_four
Rear Amp: Harman Kardon Citation twenty_four
Main Amp: Kenwood Basic M2A
Subwoofer Amp: Ramsa WP-1400 (Bridged into 2ohms)

Purchased At:   Yard Sale

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Citation 24 is an excellent performer delivering a more than adequate, solid 100 watts /ch into 8 ohms. This unit also is also designed to easily drive 4 ohm speakers, as well. Although this amp has been around for more than a decade, I don't see why anyone would need anything offered on the market today in comparison, unless more power is desired. The only annoyance I have is that the power on/off switch is stuck to permamnently on...not worth a repair visit. H/K's Citation series from those days is still highly regarded, but don't confuse this with the Citation stuff that H/K sells today.

Sennheiser: