Harman Kardon Citation 22 Amplifiers

4.31/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1150.00

Discontinued Amplifier

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
The Citation 22 power amplifier is an excellent piece of equipment. I have had a number of high quality power sources, including those from mid range Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Cyrus, etc., and the Citation is the best thus far. To be fair, my amplifier has been completely rebuilt with audiophile grade parts, top to bottom. The result is one of the most natural and musical sounding power amps I've heard. The 200 WPC will not give you awe-inspiring thunderous sound (although the sound stage is rather large), but what it provides you with is enormous headroom. Even at higher volumes, the sound is completely stress free and open. The amp will never run out out of gas. Bass is deep and full, mids are glorious, and the top end is never fatiguing or bright. Rather, it is nicely extended with good detail and texture. The Citation 22, along with the matching Citation 21 pre-amp, a Thorens TD-160 turntable with a Linn arm, Shelter cartridge, a Fosgate Signature tube phono stage and Vandersteen 2Ce speakers, makes for a system that sounds very, very good. Considering that a Citation 22 can be purchased now for $3-400, it is well worth investing that again into the piece to fully restore. You would be very hard pressed to find a 200 WPC, high current/voltage, dual mono amplifier that would sound this good for a total investment of $6-800. Certainly there are better, higher end amplifiers out there, but this one is a good sounding piece, even when price is not a consideration. Highly recommended.

Submitted by Tom Wotus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Inside the speaker jack worked loose at least 15 yrs. ago- made some crackling sounds..had it repaired, & it hasn't acted up since. I use the "matching" pre-amp as well. It powers a pair of "3-way" Dahlquist speakers. They still sound beautiful after all these yrs....could 've made a better speaker output design than the "medicine cap with a hole in it". Outside of that- WONDERFUL AMP !!! Everyone boasts up their Dolby this & that and their Surround 6.7/8 ?!?! Listen to some REAL stero. They'll hear my HK/ DQ and their jaws will hit the floor!

Submitted by Richard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for 15 yesars and it has by far out performed any other amp that I ahve used. I also have an Adcom GFA 5500 and there is no comparison. Each is rated at the same voltage and amperage but the sound from the Citation 22 i far superior. I am driving 4 JBL 15's and it doesnt even flinch to take to the max with great sound.

Submitted by arrow 68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a great Amp. Dual Mono Block Design. Well built, and provides great sound. It is 200 WPC, and can drive 4 ohm loads. Weighs 45 pounds. And was first released in 1987.
I am always wondering why this Amp does not get the recognition it deserves. I think there were cooling issues, and some other issues with ones early in production, and that has caused some of the bad reviews on here. And folks read these reviews and think all is not well. Well that is not the case.
Mine has been fine for over two years. And it was found in a thrift store, so I am not sure how much use it had. Although it's in excellent shape.
Another problem I am seeing is if it is paired with the Citation 21 Pre it can be weakened. The 21 does not have a great Phono Stage, and I think it's the weak link in the set. Loose the 21 Pre, and pair the 22 with something that lets it deliver.
I found a NAD 1155 Pre that I paired it with, and was blown away by how much better it sounded.
I can't see this unit being any less competent then any other Power Amp from it's time, and in it's price range. I do think if you want to check one of these out, and can get it for under $300, and get it from the original owner that it's a good buy.

Submitted by montexr20 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had many different receivers, integrated amplifiers and amplifiers from Sansui, Marantz and Harman Kardon etc. This review is for the Harman Kardon Citation 19 Stereo amplifier. This is the best sounding HK amp I have ever owned. It sounds better than the hk870 as well as the hk775 monoblock amps from Harman Kardon. The amp is very powerful in that it can drive a variety of speakers to reasonably high SPL’s without distorting. It does get hot but only if driven hard for an extended period of time. The amp has very natural clean highs and a smooth clear, almost tube like midrange, free of congestion (at least with my speakers). I have used the amp with Pinnacle Classic Gold Aerogel Towers as well as the Pinnacle AC-650 bookshelf speakers. Both speakers sounded excellent driven by the Citation 19. I have also used PSB Alpha AV and NHT 1.1 speakers with this amp all sounding very good and supplying the speaker with ample clear power. The amp does have a mellow smooth midrange that I think gives it an almost tube like quality which I like. I have seen them sell on Ebay for as little as $200 right up to about $380. I picked mine up for $240. The capacitors had been replaced which is a good thing as I have heard the caps dry out in all of these vintage HK amps.
If you can find one for a reasonable price in good condition I think you will enjoy the sound quality from this vintage amp.

Purchased At:   Ebay