Harman Kardon Citation 22 Amplifiers

4.33/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1150.00

Discontinued Amplifier

Submitted by Tom Wotus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Inside the speaker jack worked loose at least 15 yrs. ago- made some crackling sounds..had it repaired, & it hasn't acted up since. I use the "matching" pre-amp as well. It powers a pair of "3-way" Dahlquist speakers. They still sound beautiful after all these yrs....could 've made a better speaker output design than the "medicine cap with a hole in it". Outside of that- WONDERFUL AMP !!! Everyone boasts up their Dolby this & that and their Surround 6.7/8 ?!?! Listen to some REAL stero. They'll hear my HK/ DQ and their jaws will hit the floor!

Submitted by Richard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for 15 yesars and it has by far out performed any other amp that I ahve used. I also have an Adcom GFA 5500 and there is no comparison. Each is rated at the same voltage and amperage but the sound from the Citation 22 i far superior. I am driving 4 JBL 15's and it doesnt even flinch to take to the max with great sound.

Submitted by arrow 68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a great Amp. Dual Mono Block Design. Well built, and provides great sound. It is 200 WPC, and can drive 4 ohm loads. Weighs 45 pounds. And was first released in 1987.
I am always wondering why this Amp does not get the recognition it deserves. I think there were cooling issues, and some other issues with ones early in production, and that has caused some of the bad reviews on here. And folks read these reviews and think all is not well. Well that is not the case.
Mine has been fine for over two years. And it was found in a thrift store, so I am not sure how much use it had. Although it's in excellent shape.
Another problem I am seeing is if it is paired with the Citation 21 Pre it can be weakened. The 21 does not have a great Phono Stage, and I think it's the weak link in the set. Loose the 21 Pre, and pair the 22 with something that lets it deliver.
I found a NAD 1155 Pre that I paired it with, and was blown away by how much better it sounded.
I can't see this unit being any less competent then any other Power Amp from it's time, and in it's price range. I do think if you want to check one of these out, and can get it for under $300, and get it from the original owner that it's a good buy.

Submitted by montexr20 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had many different receivers, integrated amplifiers and amplifiers from Sansui, Marantz and Harman Kardon etc. This review is for the Harman Kardon Citation 19 Stereo amplifier. This is the best sounding HK amp I have ever owned. It sounds better than the hk870 as well as the hk775 monoblock amps from Harman Kardon. The amp is very powerful in that it can drive a variety of speakers to reasonably high SPL’s without distorting. It does get hot but only if driven hard for an extended period of time. The amp has very natural clean highs and a smooth clear, almost tube like midrange, free of congestion (at least with my speakers). I have used the amp with Pinnacle Classic Gold Aerogel Towers as well as the Pinnacle AC-650 bookshelf speakers. Both speakers sounded excellent driven by the Citation 19. I have also used PSB Alpha AV and NHT 1.1 speakers with this amp all sounding very good and supplying the speaker with ample clear power. The amp does have a mellow smooth midrange that I think gives it an almost tube like quality which I like. I have seen them sell on Ebay for as little as $200 right up to about $380. I picked mine up for $240. The capacitors had been replaced which is a good thing as I have heard the caps dry out in all of these vintage HK amps.
If you can find one for a reasonable price in good condition I think you will enjoy the sound quality from this vintage amp.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jslicke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp at my job when somebody came to the shop & was selling it & the pre-amp(citation 21) They didnt even know what they had! I gave em $100 & figured even if its broken I,m ahead of the game(I,m an audio technician so repairing it would have been no problem for me)But Low & behold not only did it work the sound! What can I say?This amp has NO coleration whatsoever what goes in comes out as is only LOUDER & CLEAN!!!! Paired with my Advent Heritage Speakers I,ve never been happier. They sound great on great material & if I got bad source material(as when my wife plays her "bbotleg CD,s & carribean music) it sounds like the source. And talk about power & stability! I even tried on "drunk" nights to see if I can "blow" this amp, I crank it to headache levels for hours at a time & while she gets hot enough (litterally) to fry eggs on & heat up the room(I,ve actually run the amp when my heat wasnt on to warm up the place!)she NEVER EVER shut down gone into protect or even fryed a speaker. When I went the reciver route I kept her to drive my 15" custom built dual voice coil subwoofer. I have her in brided mono now. I used to drive my sub with a SAE A1200 Amp but now that i got my pioneer VSX-49 TX shes the only power amp Ive kept ( I also had a mitsubishi DA-a30 pwer amp,Yamaha M-2 in the system,the only amp that I had that comes close to it power wise was my Soundcraftsmen A5002 but its not a very "pretty" amp to have in a system).My only quams with the amp is those pain in the A@#! speaker connectors it has mines are stripped now I,m soon gonna replace them with standard 5 way post as soon as I get around to finding some that will fit the dimensions of the PCB the old ones are on.

Purchased At:   Shop