Hafler P1500 Transnova Amplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

75w x2 Channels @ 8Ohms - >100dB S/N (some rate >105dB)

Submitted by ams2010 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
having owned the hafler p3000 for some time i had no hesitation in buying a 2nd hand p1500 for £95 on ebay. although excellent condition & working within specification regarding bias level etc it fell short of the p3000 by a good margin & was well below par compared to my bryston power packs. it just doesn't seem to have the same level of control or authority as my other amps. another issue i have is how the sound thickens & becomes a bit harsh in the top end when driving at higher levels on complex material. the transformer hum is another annoying point to note.

Submitted by Adventurer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
One sweet sounding amplifier that employs unique circuit topology and separate power supplies for each channel including fully regulated front end power supplies. Comparisons with my Audio Research tube amp were amazingly close, much to my surprise. This amp performs remarkably well across the audio spectrum within its power range. I particularly find midrange and highs to be strong points. Natural vocals, sweet highs, the ability to pick up detail and image well: characteristics not expected in this price range but which make music most enjoyable. Because of these strong points, mine is now used in a bi-amped system, relieving it of the very low frequencies. Build quality is very good, and parts quality is high. Compact chassis. Even when pushed, it doesn't loose its composure --even stays cool to the touch. Balanced inputs. LED signal and clipping indicators. Too bad these are no longer available new. Maybe Rockford would consider resurrecting this model?

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a powerful, fast amp but I do have the complaint about humming (I assume from the transformers). I narrowed the cause down to the t.v. If I unhooked the preamp connections from the back of my stereo tv the noise stops. This is unfortunate, because I would very much like to use my tv's preamp outs to make it part of my system. When I hook up my stereo VCR there is pretty much the same effect. I would welcome any possible fixes for this problem if anyone out there knows.

Submitted by Sokoto Pirang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
This unit is built like a tank, and with sexy look. The sound is very sweet. No buzzing as stated by others. If you want good sound for less money this is the way to go.
For best sound warm the amp at least one hour before serious listening.

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I really like this amplifier. I use it with Parasound's P/LD 2000. This setup maximizes the balanced output/input without springing for mega-watt and mega-buck amps with balanced inputs. The 75-watt rating seems to supply the KEF Q15's with all the power needed for the listening levels we attain. System imaging is fantastic, especially considering the 14 feet between the speakers. I really can't stand the transformer hum, but have been procrastinating sending the unit back to Hafler. This had it from the first day I turned the unit on, and it has not worsenend or gone away. Unfortunately, I cannot say they sme about two Parasound amps (HCA 750 and 1203) which were silent when first powered and have developed hum which is audible through my HT speakers. Is dirty electricity another one of the benefits of living in New Jersey??

60.0 WA BLACK: