Goldmund Mimesis 29.4 Amplifiers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Jian Huang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Any and all subjective intepretations of a sound phenomenon can be quantified and qualified by a complete set of objective measurments. And science has long been able to establish upon what we presently know about human hearing a complete and reliable set of objective measurment parameters for testing the linearity of any sound reproduction equipment. There simply is no way around it-- it's either linear, or it's not. If the level of measured non-linear and linear distortions is below the threshold of hearing, then the distortions must be not audible to the human auditory system. This is straightforward and simple science that even grade school students can grasp; I don't understand why many engineers and "experts" can not comprehend this fundamental concept.

Submitted by Vincent Quek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
After reading previous from Mr. Abhijit Shah and Mr Wong J.H. I would have to agree with Shah. There are way too many factors to affect what a person feel and think about a product. In Mr. Wong's case, I believe he has gone into the tip of a bull horn by thinking the particular amp is the best. By measurement itself, will not be able to tell if the amp can produce "True to Life Music". Can anyone tell me, does a live Band or live Orchestra produce 100% non distorted Music? To really understand whether or not a particular SYSTEM (I say system,including the source input to speaker output to sound, not merely the wonder created by the amp)can produce true to live music. We will have to set up measuring instrument to measure the parameters during the concert, and compare to the parameters measure again during the play back with the system. And it has to be the same concert.... Well, I say leave it to the scientists, what say you..... Oh yes, before I go. The Goldmund agent in my country is trying very very hard to get me to upgrade to the 29.4M from my pass labs X600. I have order the new Pass XA200 and they are willing to change it for me.(Both brand are under the same dealer but Goldmund cost about US$6000 more than the XA200).

BUT, just like what Abhijit says. Listerning is subjective, I sticking with Pass labs.

Submitted by Frank Dernie a

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Without any loss of bass weight the Goldmund is faster and more musical than the Krell. The Spectral comes between the two. I upgraded from the Mimesis 29 when I added the Goldmund Epolig 2's to my Epilog 1's
Last upgrade - I've never heard better and my system still takes my breath away after several years.
I go to many concerts as my wife is a musician. Nothing I have heard matches Goldmund - particularly the speakers amps and CD transport.

Purchased At:   HiFi Station 2001, France

Submitted by Abhijit Shah a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
After reading the previous review, I just but couldn't
resist to make a comment.

We have to step back and ask two questions:

Whats the end goal of a music system?

The end goal of the music system is to sound pleasing
and accurate to listener's ears. Pleasing is subjective.

Acuracy? The way to check is to listen to the same music live, in the studio and then listen to the replay on the
system and check if both match. Yes, this is subjective.
Depends on the listener. But hey, the system is as good
as the listening abilities of the listener. It is. Think
about it.

The second question is:

The paramters that we measure in an amp, are they the
correct parameters that we ought to measure? Are they
the only parameters that we should measure?
(Necessary and sufficiency conditions)

No, till date we don't really know answer to those questions. Most of our deductions are based on the basic
understanding of linear systems, and fourier/harmonic analysis. Thats the spec an amp maufacturer gives you.

But our ear does much more than that, it hears things that
this basic analysis says we cannot possibly hear. We remember voice of our math teacher from junior high after twenty years. We pick up your friends voice on phone even
he is speaking from the stadium when the giants game is on.
We do amazing filtering and tuning in with our ears that
just astonishing.

We really don't know how our ear works. We don't know the
what type of aureal signal processing and pattern recognition that goes on in our brain.
Thus we don't exactly know completely what all the parameters to decide why goldmund amp or any amp
for that matter sounds good.
Unless you hear the amp you will not be able to tell just by looking at the specs because you might not be looking at the "correct" specs.

I used to be on the dark side till I was enlightned. : )
I was skeptical but then I heard so many systems before
I realized that everything counts and then I finally
shelled out money to buy good cables. : )

In other words, you are right (Goldmund does sound great)
but for all the wrong reasons. : )

BTW, I have years of academic-research-practical experience
in circuit design, and signal processing so you certainly
aren't talking to the bloke round the corner!

Submitted by Jian huang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I do not do reviews like almost all other people who describe how a component sounds;rather, I find all the specifications and measurments(these in the amplitude,phase,and frequency domain,as well as any other presently known artifacts and phenonmena that could affect the final output of a sound reproduction apparatus) relevant to the faithful reprodution of an electrical signal/waveform,and the component that has the optimum balance among these parameters is the best component.I assure that the Goldmund Mimesis 29.4 amplifier is the absolute best the present technology can provide.Any thing else would be greatly compromised.Any questions? If you do ,please feel obligated to telephone or fax me at 1-617-387-3707 and ask for JIAN X. WONG. For I shall convinced any stubborn non-believers of true advancement in electrical engineering.Any thing that we can hear can be measured and comprehensively explained with well documented scientific proof and evidance.

Premier Mounts: