Goldmund Mimesis 28 Amplifiers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $4990.00

2-Channel Power Amplifier

Submitted by Sully a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
A "Luxory Audio Component"
Make no mistake, this is a "Luxory" audio component, its "Swiss Made" with outsanding looks and mysterious innards. It cost almost $10K when new, and I bought mine used for $5700. Its outrageously expensive for a 200WPC amplifier and its internal comparments are all hidden underneath metal shields. Its heavy and complicated, which you realize when you turn it on and it gives you its firmware revision.

Operation.
This amp has a weird grounding arrangement, there is a toggle switch and 2 terminals on the rear panel for connecting internal grounds (I think). The amp is super-sensitive to AC noise and ground loops. My refrigerator causes spikes from this thing every time it cycles, so I had to put it in another circuit. Also, the front panel controls are a little odd, you press both buttons simultaneously to prove you really want to turn it "on."

Sound.
I have 28M, and found that the sound really is dependent on the source and its grounding for noise-free operation. Once you get a good connection the sound is very impressive, there is plenty of power, bass is not compromised and HF is virtually unrestricted. Strings sound like they are being plucked in your room, and vocals sound like the person is right there. For a "luxory" brand I expected this to be mostly glitter but light on substance. The sound is fast and tight and very very accurate. I am not dissapointed in the least and am thinking of getting a matching preamp.

Quirks.
The heat sink on the rear of the unit, which causes tight speaker/input connections (as noticed by others) gets only warm at normal/background volumes, but scortching hot at high volume, so ventilation is a plus.

The amp is very heavy but runs cool so can be left on for long duratoins.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Ron a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The installation.
First things first. Not until installing the amp in my system did I notice that the output terminals were directly above the input jacks. Therefor, the use of large diameter speaker cables makes connection to the input jacks a bit of a challenge. I needed to tape the speaker cable spades to make sure that they would not short to the metal sleeves on the input cable jacks. I have no idea why they did not locate the input jacks above the speaker terminals and I wondered if the Goldmund engineers ever actually hooked up their own equipment. I was also disappointed to see a mega-buck amp use inexpensive plastic speaker cable connectors.

The Sound.
Once I got the amp home, I quickly pulled out my 10-year-old Perreaux 2350 and plugged in the Goldmund. First impressions - well built, dead quite, runs cool. I loaded some Miles Davis into my Sony DAS/R1 CD transport/DAC. The music was thin; there was no imaging. I was crushed. OK, lets not panic, let it warm up. Much better, but it still sounded thin. I have a bunch of interconnects in the house used in different systems. I gathered them up and gave them all a try. I have never seen an amp so cable sensitive. Kimber - No good; too bright. Tara - warmer, but no sound stage. FMS - close, good tonal quality, but they seemed to restrict the speed of the amp. MIT - no dynamics. Music Metre - Success!

I installed Music Metre Cantos, DAC to Audio Research preamp and preamp to amp. The mids filled out nicely. I have also left the amp powered for the last 6 weeks. The burn-in seems to have helped. Once I found the right combination of cables and equipment, I have been happy with the performance of the amp. I listen to a lot of jazz. Horns jump out of the speakers and kick drums are deep and solid. Pianos display depth and harmonics, voices are detailed and natural. If you are willing to invest the time and money to build a system around this amp, the Goldmund 28 may be the amp for you. If not, spend the money on a trip to Europe or something else that would have made your wife happy.

Submitted by Phillip Koukalis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Bottom Line:

I owned the model 2 for 2 years and always found it lacking in power for my Audio Physic Virgos. No doubt, The Model 2's are excellent for mid range lovers , portraying a very nice warm feeling to all recordings. Somehow though, its lack of power and less than neutral presentation seemed to convey a loss of immediacy and extension that I have tried to surmount by interconnects and speaker cables.I replaced a full Cardas with audio note silver which somehow opened the sound a bit more.

Recently tried the 112 and that was even worse. Though rated at 150w, didnt sound double the power yet losing the tonal warmth that the Model 2 had.
Incidentally, the Model 10 also 150w seemed to restore that
warmth.

Since I like SS amps with tube tonality, dealers recommended
Ayre and Goldmund.The Ayre was somehow a failure with my system, losing coherence over the mid range.

I always expected Goldmunds to be somewhat sterile....but These goldmunds have a naturalness and immediacy that
makes my model 2's seem bloated. Perhaps the lack of power in the Model 2 driving my Audio Physic Virgos are telling.
The Model 2's have a powerful mid bass wallop that can be
overblown on some recordings. The Goldmund doesnt highlight as much in that region yet extends deeper with greater speed and authority,

Dont just take my word for it....Do try to audition the Mimesis28 and the killer SRM2's...
the new JOB circuitry seems to be doing a great job. :)

My equipment:

Basis 2500
Graham 1.5TC
with Benz Ruby
Lukashek PP 1 phono
CAT mk 111 signature preamp

Submitted by Chan Ringo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am currently using Goldmund 27+28 driving Artemis EOS+. Frankly I am quite disappointed about the combination. Very transparent high frequency, how the overall body is thin and light, not enough some bass. This weakness is not that obvious when 28 is partnering with Epilogue 1, as demo in the showroom. Have listened to 28.4 driving diff speakers such as Avalon, Monitor Audio, Thiel, Focus Audio, etc same weakness as 28 - still lacks of mid to low solidity and texture. There is one solution to this - change 28 to 29. Goldmund 29 outperform both 28 and 28.4 by a distance, very balanced and powerful amp.

Submitted by Harvey a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
Huh,Goldmund Mimesis 28 does it realy gets better than that....175W per channelat $4990 it out performs any US made component (amp) in terms sonics and
built quality. This amp is very transparent and NEUTRAL sounding like no other.
Try it on Audio Physic speakers or Avalon ..WOW MAGIC. After going through all
ss designs like Levinson,Krell and Rowland..this is truly outstanding amp.
If you can afford it don't waste your time ....just buy one and keep it forever
coz there is nothing like GOLDMUND....NO COMPETITION

ENJOY IT SIX STAR

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Goldmund Mimesis 28

I have an offer for Goldmund Mimesis 28, 2006 issue for $3000. Is this a good price? Since, i don't know how Goldmund sounded and read a lot of good review for Goldmund, but i really have very little knowledge of Goldmund. Please give me good advices. I'm going to hook it up with a Manley Neo Clas ... Read More »

High End: