Golden Tube SE-40 Amplifiers

4.18/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $1098.00

Tube Amplifier - 40 Watts Per Channel

Submitted by James Young a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have two Golden Tube Audio SE40s and love them. After listening to my first one for a couple of years I got the manual and had the bottom plate off to discover that it was running in Ultralinear mode, a type of global feedback. I switched to the no global feedback mode and discovered that the last tiny amount of grit disappeared. I now understand that the reason all the solid state amps I have heard sounded edgy to me was, at least in part, due to global feedback. I'm interested in hearing a solid state with no global feedback. My second GE SE40 was also delivered in ultralinear mode and now is in no feedback mode. I am using one of the amps to drive the very low efficiency Carver ALIIIs and when played loud, the distortion is obvious (sounds like a soft pillow feels, still no edgyness). I find that second order distortion is acceptable even in obvious amounts, while the solid state amps I have heard tend to drive me from the room at the same volume Obviously, measurements don't tell the whole story for me. If you are easily fatigued by edgy sound, try the SE40 in no feedback mode and you may find your answer to good sound as I have.

Submitted by BSidian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
Though many negative comments have been written about the SE-40's reliabillity and quallity of manufacture, I find that many of us have original units that function and sound, with the usual tweaking , better than when we first got them and without incident. I think because of the amps pricing, and then subsequent resale values, it has found its's way into the hands of many inexperienced first time tube users, and well boom. I use my two in bridged 80w mono mode from a dc coupled dual mono preamp never a problem. Say no more.

The sound from these amps blows away the transistor based amps of their time at double their price.
They put out enough power for the most inefficient Carver Amaizings to fill a 40x30 beautifully
and They sound so good my wife sits down, listens and say's "that's Incredible!".
Iv'e had many others these are a more real presentation of the instruments and voice with nothing else in the air only silence.

Submitted by pinchechris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased one of these from Audiogon.com for the mere sum of $600, shipping included. You can find 'em cheaper, one just sold on Ebay for $450 but mine came with full Sonic Craft mods. I haven't heard a stock amp but I can say that I'm REALLY impressed with the modified version. I have heard that these mods help issues of reliability......though I do notice that most of the negative reviews due to faulty equipment are from years ago. I wonder if these issues were addressed in later models? If this one busts or starts having issues I'll fire off another review :)

Till then, I'm superbly happy.

Submitted by linn11 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have bought this power amplifier in very good conditions,as a part of payment of other equipment. I have had many high end amplifiers, and I did not expect much of this amplifier, but after listening I was very surprised with their high qualitu soun in this price range. It is a very enjoyable sound, warm, big soundstage,and plenty of detail... I recomend improved the original 6SN7 with NOS tubes.
Used with more 90dbs or more SPL Speakers, are a very good choice.

Submitted by Samarati a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
Good quality amp for $450. Mine in excellent condition. I purchased from the original owner. He was an electrical engineer - audiophile. He did some tweaks. My model has no tube cage. Not an issue in my child free home.

Purchased At:   Audio Swap meet