Emotiva XPA-2 Amplifiers

4.62/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

Modular channel design for greater channel separation. Automatic 120/230 AC voltage detection and switching. Multi segment bar graph output level meters with clip detect. Metering and status LED on/off switches. Fully protected from all fault conditions. Soft start circuitry. Advanced microprocessor operating system. External trigger turn on. Soft touch power switch. 4RU chassis w/ solid 15mm milled aluminum faceplate. IEC power inlet. Output topology: discrete triple Darlington with On Semi output devices. Input topology: dual differential input. Input: balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA), switchable. Output: audiophile quality 5 way binding posts. Display type: digital status indicators.
XPA-2 2 Channel Audio Power Amplifier
250 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms

Submitted by Bob Surprenant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have owned the XPA-1 with the UPS-1 running through Axiom Audio M60's, VP200, Qs8's and sub for five years. Will my system compete with the audiophools twenty thousand sysem? No. But I will say this, if you're like most folks, your "audio room" is the living room. Windows, doors, furniture, kids and dog toys, all tied in with the WAF, almost insurmoutable to have a really good sounding system. Well, for the price this equipment bests anything less then 2k. Made in China, so what. Parts are top quality, they just put it all together. Hell the remote is made out of billet aluminum and can be used as a weapon. The sound is full, rich and dynamic, pacing is great and the soundstage is deep and wide. If I had a dedicated audio room, and more money, yeah I'd move up the chain. But this is some seriously good equipment!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Doctor Fine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Sent these back immediately as they did not meet my requirements except possibly in raw wattage output.

Blurry sounding. Terrible soundstaging with individual instruments coming from indistinct locations. Midrange lacked timbres indentifying tonality. Characterless. Mid-Fi.

I shall continue the noble quest for Power Amplifier Greatness.

It saddens me that alas, These were not to be the ONES.

Submitted by B. David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
Bought it new, had it in 2 different systems and after a week it was boxed back up and returned. Sorry, but anyone who thinks this is as good as a Krell, or even a Bryston simply can't hear! Reading the reviews, one starts to wonder if some are employed by the company?
It's harsh, has only mediocre detail, and lacks that absolute control of the sound stage, that top quality gear possess. It's mid-fi for the masses, the new Carver level item, and made in China too! Guess if you are strictly into RAP, heavy metal and that kind of over processed and compressed "music", then you'll probably never hear the difference; in fact you may love it's hard and rather flat sound. If you listen to real music from real acoustic instruments, and well recorded vocals..........this won't be your top choice..... It's just not that good.

Having said that - if you are using very inefficient speakers, listen to popular music, and have very limited funds - then this is a "good value", for the money. It's just not top shelf, nor should it be for the cost. Just don't fool yourself because it's the best you could afford. That in no way means it's near "The Best", because it's not even close to that. It's OK.

Ancillary equipment - Krell FPB-300, Bryston 4B SST, Audio Research SP-6a, and SP11. Speakers: Martin Logan Ascent, Quad ESL-63, B&W Nautilus, Rogers LS3-5A, & others. VPI turntable with Denon 103R mc, SACD decks by Sony.

Submitted by MICHAEL KLEMENTOVICH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OVER A 1/4 MILLION DOLLARS IN AUDIO EQUIPMENT AND BOUGHT A PAIR OF MAGNEPAN ON A WHIM SINCE I HATED THE 1.6 I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE THE GO AROUND AGAIN TO THE 1.7'S AND THEN THE PROBLEM OF AMPS CAME UP AND DECIDED ON THE XPA-2 EMOTIVA. JUST FORGET BRYSTON...BAT...CARY...CLASSE'...KRELL...AND THE WHOLE MAC LINE AND JUST PAY THE 799 TO YOUR DOOR STEP AND BE PREPARED TO BE BLOWN AWAY. YOU WON;T BE RETURNING IT FOR SURE AND IF YOU DO YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO DO IT AND IF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP IT YOU HAVE 5 YEAR WARRENTY....PROFESSION COMPANY QUIET AMP SMOOTH ARTICULATE AND 500 WATTS INTO 4 OHMS....YES 799.00 BELIEVE IT .........DON'T EVEN THINK OF BLOWING YOUR MONEY AWAY ON ANYTHING ELSE AND THAT IS COMING FROM A SOLID STATE HATER...I AM A TUBE MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH AND WANTED IN EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY WAY TO HATE THIS AMP AND THESE SPEAKERS AND THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE WITH THIS SETUP IS THAT I CANNOT STOP LISTENING...ONE WARNING YOU NEED A TUBED PREAMP AND CALL DON ALLEN IN PHOENIX AND LET THE KING OF PREAMPS MAKE YOU THE FINEST PREAMP IN THE WORLD FOR LESS THAN 1500.00

Submitted by MARK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
This item was purchased brand new and is an Australian 240v model, I purchased this after reading all the rave reviews it got and only read maybe one negative review. The USA has some of the cheapest prices in the World for HI FI gear and even when the Australian dollar was higher we were still paying 2- 3 times the price for the same item....but they say that it is because we are so far from China and the rest of the World..... so how come a bag of fruit or vege from China and the rest of the World is cheaper then home grown fruit,,,,any way the reason I brought this amp because of the rave reviews except one, and the cheap price, $1500 delivered, by Australian standards. When it arrived I could not wait to hear it and did not go to work that day, BUT when I set it up replacing it with my Redgum Audio RGH900 play through a Rotel Pre I was in SHOCK.....WHAT a P.O.S. all the lovely tone was gone all the ambients was gone this thing sounds very,VERY bad , it sounded worst then my 25 year old Sony Receiver, my Yaqin $300 EL34 and my Yaqin $900 2A3 Valve amp and my Rotel RMB-1075 , I said ok give it a chance and let it burn in so I put it to sub amp duty where it did sound better then a $250 Jay Car 150 watt sub amp. I also found after 50 hours of playing it developed a transformer hum.... double P.O.S I emailed Emotiva and they said the normal things non educated sales people say like it must be your power supply or your leads even though none of your other amps make this noise.... but you can return it for $600 and we can look at it for you, yes it cost $600 to ship from Australia.... triple P.O.S. SO THIS A WARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA....DO NOT BUY THIS AMP and do not believe what you always read or it may cost you dearly. I gave it a 1 star for value as I feel I have blown my money and 2 stars for overall as it does better my $250 sub amp only. P.S. Please note that this is an Australian 240v amp and USA amps may sound different, Cheers

BLG CP024: