Emotiva XPA-2 Amplifiers

4.74/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

Modular channel design for greater channel separation. Automatic 120/230 AC voltage detection and switching. Multi segment bar graph output level meters with clip detect. Metering and status LED on/off switches. Fully protected from all fault conditions. Soft start circuitry. Advanced microprocessor operating system. External trigger turn on. Soft touch power switch. 4RU chassis w/ solid 15mm milled aluminum faceplate. IEC power inlet. Output topology: discrete triple Darlington with On Semi output devices. Input topology: dual differential input. Input: balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA), switchable. Output: audiophile quality 5 way binding posts. Display type: digital status indicators.
XPA-2 2 Channel Audio Power Amplifier
250 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms

Submitted by B. David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
Bought it new, had it in 2 different systems and after a week it was boxed back up and returned. Sorry, but anyone who thinks this is as good as a Krell, or even a Bryston simply can't hear! Reading the reviews, one starts to wonder if some are employed by the company?
It's harsh, has only mediocre detail, and lacks that absolute control of the sound stage, that top quality gear possess. It's mid-fi for the masses, the new Carver level item, and made in China too! Guess if you are strictly into RAP, heavy metal and that kind of over processed and compressed "music", then you'll probably never hear the difference; in fact you may love it's hard and rather flat sound. If you listen to real music from real acoustic instruments, and well recorded vocals..........this won't be your top choice..... It's just not that good.

Having said that - if you are using very inefficient speakers, listen to popular music, and have very limited funds - then this is a "good value", for the money. It's just not top shelf, nor should it be for the cost. Just don't fool yourself because it's the best you could afford. That in no way means it's near "The Best", because it's not even close to that. It's OK.

Ancillary equipment - Krell FPB-300, Bryston 4B SST, Audio Research SP-6a, and SP11. Speakers: Martin Logan Ascent, Quad ESL-63, B&W Nautilus, Rogers LS3-5A, & others. VPI turntable with Denon 103R mc, SACD decks by Sony.

Submitted by MICHAEL KLEMENTOVICH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OVER A 1/4 MILLION DOLLARS IN AUDIO EQUIPMENT AND BOUGHT A PAIR OF MAGNEPAN ON A WHIM SINCE I HATED THE 1.6 I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE THE GO AROUND AGAIN TO THE 1.7'S AND THEN THE PROBLEM OF AMPS CAME UP AND DECIDED ON THE XPA-2 EMOTIVA. JUST FORGET BRYSTON...BAT...CARY...CLASSE'...KRELL...AND THE WHOLE MAC LINE AND JUST PAY THE 799 TO YOUR DOOR STEP AND BE PREPARED TO BE BLOWN AWAY. YOU WON;T BE RETURNING IT FOR SURE AND IF YOU DO YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO DO IT AND IF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP IT YOU HAVE 5 YEAR WARRENTY....PROFESSION COMPANY QUIET AMP SMOOTH ARTICULATE AND 500 WATTS INTO 4 OHMS....YES 799.00 BELIEVE IT .........DON'T EVEN THINK OF BLOWING YOUR MONEY AWAY ON ANYTHING ELSE AND THAT IS COMING FROM A SOLID STATE HATER...I AM A TUBE MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH AND WANTED IN EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY WAY TO HATE THIS AMP AND THESE SPEAKERS AND THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE WITH THIS SETUP IS THAT I CANNOT STOP LISTENING...ONE WARNING YOU NEED A TUBED PREAMP AND CALL DON ALLEN IN PHOENIX AND LET THE KING OF PREAMPS MAKE YOU THE FINEST PREAMP IN THE WORLD FOR LESS THAN 1500.00

Submitted by MARK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
This item was purchased brand new and is an Australian 240v model, I purchased this after reading all the rave reviews it got and only read maybe one negative review. The USA has some of the cheapest prices in the World for HI FI gear and even when the Australian dollar was higher we were still paying 2- 3 times the price for the same item....but they say that it is because we are so far from China and the rest of the World..... so how come a bag of fruit or vege from China and the rest of the World is cheaper then home grown fruit,,,,any way the reason I brought this amp because of the rave reviews except one, and the cheap price, $1500 delivered, by Australian standards. When it arrived I could not wait to hear it and did not go to work that day, BUT when I set it up replacing it with my Redgum Audio RGH900 play through a Rotel Pre I was in SHOCK.....WHAT a P.O.S. all the lovely tone was gone all the ambients was gone this thing sounds very,VERY bad , it sounded worst then my 25 year old Sony Receiver, my Yaqin $300 EL34 and my Yaqin $900 2A3 Valve amp and my Rotel RMB-1075 , I said ok give it a chance and let it burn in so I put it to sub amp duty where it did sound better then a $250 Jay Car 150 watt sub amp. I also found after 50 hours of playing it developed a transformer hum.... double P.O.S I emailed Emotiva and they said the normal things non educated sales people say like it must be your power supply or your leads even though none of your other amps make this noise.... but you can return it for $600 and we can look at it for you, yes it cost $600 to ship from Australia.... triple P.O.S. SO THIS A WARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA....DO NOT BUY THIS AMP and do not believe what you always read or it may cost you dearly. I gave it a 1 star for value as I feel I have blown my money and 2 stars for overall as it does better my $250 sub amp only. P.S. Please note that this is an Australian 240v amp and USA amps may sound different, Cheers

Submitted by G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
Some years ago I bought my loudspeakers from Legacy Audio. I purchased the Focus 4 way towers, the Silver Screen center, and the Mist surrounds. I have been to many audio shows over the years, and they have held their own with speakers costing many times their price. If you have ever seen them, heard them, or tried to move them, you know. Hi-Fi gear is a lot like wine, many times price does not relate to the quality or value you get in return. Legacy regularly wins best of show awards at these audio conventions, and do it at much lower price points.
This brings me to Emotiva and their XPA-2 power amplifier. I think this product offers this kind of outstanding value all over again. Big name separate component manufacturers, have a lot to worry about with this new rival on the scene. To this day, I still cannot fully understand how they can offer so much for so little. When you look at the specs, listen to the music, and examine the monster build quality, I just don’t know how they do it!!!!!
My Emotiva XPA-2 amp arrived in August of 2012. I have waited until now to write a review because I wanted to make sure this thing was the real deal. Up until that time I was bi-amping the Legacy Focus’s with my top of the line Pioneer Elite AVR receiver. This would be considered a sacrilegious act in some audio circles - hooking speakers like this to an AVR. Very nice, but no real punch or definition by comparison. At once without any break in, detail was emerging from my speakers that didn’t exist before. To paraphrase what Emotiva says on their website; the beautiful thing about a great receiver is that it can drive and control the rest of the system just fine. Better than a lot of the high end pre-pro companies would want you to know. It can be a very versatile pre-pro, and it eliminates the need for more external amps, boxes, and cables. The pre-outs on the Pioneer easily permits the real heavy lifting to be done by the XPA-2 for the front left and right channels. This combo is amazing, and no receiver at ANY price can put out this kind of sound. The kind of punch, authority and control this reproduces is just on another level altogether. No more worries about clipping. The 500 watts per channel going into 4 ohm speakers that are 96db efficient become an enthralling avalanche of sound. Exhibiting clarity and realism unlike anything I have ever heard before in my system. Eight hundred measly dollars for this kind of amp, this kind of performance? Outrageous.
When I was researching this purchase I called Legacy for some advice. I found out that they are driving the home theater system in their showroom with an Emotiva XPA multi-channel amp. Probably not a coincidence, since both of these companies share a very similar marketing and distribution philosophy. I strongly suggest that you do not buy any new gear resembling high end until you’ve test driven the products from either of these two great companies!!!! Free delivery, money back guarantee, world class performance, great warranties, and happy loyal customers.

Submitted by earwaxxer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
Lots of glowing reviews here. Its funny how many MMG owners have flocked to this amp! Add me to that group. I was in a bit of denial about how much good fast power those plannars 'enjoy'. I have had the MMG's for years and enjoyed them with much less power, but this is the ticket. This amp is just loafing in the process of cranking out some outstanding high dB sound scapes. Could not be happier. I also have tried ss and tube preamp stages, and tubes seem the best fit in my system. I would describe the XPA-2 sound as, 'mature, precise but not harsh or thread bare, quick, open, detailed yet harmonic and natural'.