Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblock Amplifiers

XPA-1 Differential Reference™ Mono-block Power Amplifier
500 watts RMS x 1 into 8 ohms, 1,000 watts RMS x 1 into 4 ohms.
It's all about control, and the XPA-1 is a control freak. 500 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 1,000 watts RMS into 4 ohms. All the performance you'd expect to see from an audiophile reference level amplifier. But what about the sound? Big...expansive...powerful...and yet very refined...and defined. This is what you get when you have control.
Mono-block amplifiers have typically been company flagships. They define the ultimate expression of a company's approach to design and construction. The XPA-1 amplifier puts our ultimate expression within your reach at market-shattering prices.

Submitted by Harris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have been constantly upgrading my system for about 30 years now. For the longest time I used various high end integrated AVRs (100-150 wpc), For most people those would suffice. At the time I was running various KEF Reference speakers (104/2 and 105/3). They always sounded good but I always felt that the AVR amp was just holding them back a little. I should note that the KEFs are 4 ohm speakers and are VERY power hungry. And I also have a large home theater room, so I realyl do "need" a lot of power.

I acquired an Emotiva XPA-3 (Gen 1) which definitely improved the experience. SO much so that I then purchased 2 XPA-1 (Gen 1) monoblocks. These helped even more. The final step was to do a bi-amp set up and that has been the best so far.

I have recently upgraded my speakers to some newer KEF Reference 4 models. With the bi-amp set up I am just blown away and how good these amps sound.

I am sure you can spend many thousands of $$$ on high end tube amps which may sound different (Not saying better) but for the money you can not bear the Emotiva XPA series amps. They are powerful and will provide every nuance of sound. There is nothing lacking in these amps.

Submitted by Gordon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2015

Bottom Line:
OK, Here it is. I have been in this game longer than most, Played, Recorded, Produced and analysed recordings and every instrument in a recording all my life. I like many styles of music and in the styles of music I listen to, it covers every nuance of virtually instrument. I have read opinionated clueless numpties comments on how other amps sounds much better than Emotivas equipment. I can only speak for XPA1 Monos MK1. I have owned more amps than I would like to admit and even more speakers in my 30 years listening to hifi equipment. Are the xpa 1's the last amps I will own ? Probably not, I'm addicted to every aspect of audio and hifi, and love listening to new gear and it doesn't go away. The xpa1's however are totally outstanding in every way. They produce every last tiny detail and dynamic in the most musical sounding way you will hear at any price. I don't care what anyone else says, your just plain wrong and want to justify your expenditure. Other amps may sound different, but the XPA1's will even produce the grain on a recoding (if it's there) with its full resolution. They score top marks in every imaginable area of sound reproduction. Transparency, Stereo imaging, depth, Focus, Image stability, Speed, Resolution, Dynamics, Micro-dynamics, Bass Control, Bass weight, Warmth (if its there). Image size, Focus, Extension at both frequency extremes and finally delicacy and accuracy throughout the range. I'm fed up reading about folk saying they don't do this or that, and your better spending you money on a Musical Fidelity, Krell, Levinson, Moon or Bryston, It's not true and your just def or stupid or both. I've owned many models from all these manufacturers. These are great amps at any price and definitely worth considering a listening to. They are precise in every aspect of the audio spectrum, in absolute control and a complete bargain. They can produce a sound so realistic you could easily believe you are there and that's what it's all about.

Submitted by MICHAEL kLEMENTOVICH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
review is actually of a 2014 pair but this site would not let me into anything past 2010 probably because this is the Gen 2 model...well well well gotta understand I have 1/4 million dollars plus of audio equipment and upgraded up to the this model from the XPA2 stereo for my highly modded Maggie 1.7's just to see if that Class A feature was for real and see if it was really gonna be an upgrade as I loved the 2 model very much(read my review) but I was not prepared for this significant of an upgrade it was like night and day. I HATE anything Solid State but this EMOTIVA stuff is the real deal I have had time with $10,000.00 Krell this stuff actually blows away!!!!!! Can you believe they actually traded my 2 in after owning it for a year and I paid 800 for it and they gave me 500+ on trade in!!!! Are you kidding...look out every other high end solid state company in the USA EMOTIVA is taking over big time....Rumor has it they are even going to start making a tube amp in the good ol' USA in the future
Anyway the low end is incredible the mids and highs are smmmmmoth the amps run warm not hot even in Class A and are dead dead dead silent. Cost me 1411.00 to my doorstep + my 2 and I only paid 25 to ship it back to them as they issued the tag for return these weigh 73lbs each so be prepared !!!!!!!!! Cannot say enough about this company except they blow the doors off of any solid state amps made regardless of price ...just like Positive Feedback review says............if you do not like them you have 30 days ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Shake777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
You can tell from the vocabulary and the experience from the previous writers that they know what they are talking about. The comments are consistent...all superlative...so take heed. I have five XPA1 with two of the 350w Emo amps to round out my 7.2 Klipsch Palladium system and the results are crazy good top to bottom, left to right. Service? I broke one of my amps through my own obvious fault and they fixed it pronto for no charge. Performance again, as others have noted, your ears will bleed way before you hear a hint of distortion and these are capable of 1000w at 4 ohms which is how I'm running them. Emotiva ran two sales this year and I think I got the five for about $4300.00 if my foggy memory is not fooling me...regardless, I saved a hunk of cash. These are a bargain and a giant killer.

Submitted by greg hanson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
After researching the web for 2 months, I decided on Emotiva to upgrade my home theater system. I purchased the umc 1 pre/pro, a pair of xpa 1's, and a xpa 5. YOW!! The difference from my Yamaha htr 6090, and Makie pro audio amps was staggering. Certainly the best audio value out there, and more importantly fantastic sound quality! HOWEVER replace the factory power cords with a high quality after market power cord!!!!!! I purchased ZU audio BOK power cords for all the Emotiva gearand could not believe my ears,as it sounded as th ough I had gotten even bigger amps. I was skeptical about power cords making a difference, but now my ears tell me I made a wise choice. Great amps , but if you want to hear them at their true potential replace those power cords!!!!! Highly recommended !