Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblock Amplifiers

XPA-1 Differential Reference™ Mono-block Power Amplifier
500 watts RMS x 1 into 8 ohms, 1,000 watts RMS x 1 into 4 ohms.
It's all about control, and the XPA-1 is a control freak. 500 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 1,000 watts RMS into 4 ohms. All the performance you'd expect to see from an audiophile reference level amplifier. But what about the sound? Big...expansive...powerful...and yet very refined...and defined. This is what you get when you have control.
Mono-block amplifiers have typically been company flagships. They define the ultimate expression of a company's approach to design and construction. The XPA-1 amplifier puts our ultimate expression within your reach at market-shattering prices.

Submitted by Shake777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
You can tell from the vocabulary and the experience from the previous writers that they know what they are talking about. The comments are consistent...all superlative...so take heed. I have five XPA1 with two of the 350w Emo amps to round out my 7.2 Klipsch Palladium system and the results are crazy good top to bottom, left to right. Service? I broke one of my amps through my own obvious fault and they fixed it pronto for no charge. Performance again, as others have noted, your ears will bleed way before you hear a hint of distortion and these are capable of 1000w at 4 ohms which is how I'm running them. Emotiva ran two sales this year and I think I got the five for about $4300.00 if my foggy memory is not fooling me...regardless, I saved a hunk of cash. These are a bargain and a giant killer.

Submitted by greg hanson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
After researching the web for 2 months, I decided on Emotiva to upgrade my home theater system. I purchased the umc 1 pre/pro, a pair of xpa 1's, and a xpa 5. YOW!! The difference from my Yamaha htr 6090, and Makie pro audio amps was staggering. Certainly the best audio value out there, and more importantly fantastic sound quality! HOWEVER replace the factory power cords with a high quality after market power cord!!!!!! I purchased ZU audio BOK power cords for all the Emotiva gearand could not believe my ears,as it sounded as th ough I had gotten even bigger amps. I was skeptical about power cords making a difference, but now my ears tell me I made a wise choice. Great amps , but if you want to hear them at their true potential replace those power cords!!!!! Highly recommended !

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
Thought I would share my thoughts on the XPA-1. I have recently auditioned various amps includng McIntosh, Audio Research, Esoteric and 2-3 other high-end amps. The cheapest among those amps was $4k per mono block. Each of those brands sounded and performed extremely well, which you would expect given the price.But guess what, my XPA-1s are right up there with them. To be clear (and fair) those amps ranged from slightly better to much better than the XPA-1. However, they DID NOT sound anywhere near 4x - 30x the cost of my 1s! While they sounded better, they didn't sound that much better to me.

What I like about the 1s is the transparency, endless power and purity of sound they produce. I immediately noticed that I could turn my volume up higher and experience far less fatigue. The sound is just so pure when I listen to classical and jazz. It is simply awesome to get something this good at this price. The other manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves. This product would retail for a minimum of $8k - $16k in name-brand models.

I own a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s and a pair of Def Tech Mythos ST towers. I also own a Def Tech Supercube and Trinity sub. The XPA-1s power the paradigms. I have a XPA-2 that powers my Def Tech loudspeakers. I also own a XPA-3 that powers a Mythos 10 center and two cheap Atlantic Tech ceiling speakers for rears.

For anyone interested, there is a noticable difference between the XPA-3, XPA-2 and XPA-1 models. With each step up you get a noticable difference. The XPA-3 produces very solid, respectable sound. The XPA-2 delivers very good sound with deep bass ... I mean really deep bass. I love that amp. The XPA-1 borrows the bass from the 2 but gives you an overall purer, more transparent sound. Again, each is a noticable step up from each other, which makes the extra $$$ seem worth it. Each of them also run fairly cool unless I push them with some of my basshead tracks for long periods (like Bass Mekanik or DJ Billy E.)

All I can say is that if you can spring the $2k for a pair of these puppies, you will be getting a product that performs a minimum of 4x its price. Pair these with nice speakers and you will be quite pleased. I know someone that paired these with a pair of reference speakers from Canton. He was a former dealer and swore that these outperformed anything he sold for under $10k a pair in his former store. That should tell you something.

I am saving up to upgrade my Paradigms to the S8 model. I will update this if/when I get the cash to make the next leap. Something tells me these will make the S8s shine.

Last, I own the USP-1 as a pre-amp. Again, for the price the device is unreal. It too performs like something 4x - 5x its price. Thank you Emotiva for giving the budget conscious folks like me a shot at owning stuff that performs well at a price within reach!

Submitted by Roger Crane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've decided to write what I find the truth. Every once in a while, a product comes out that is so wonderful, it's destined for grand memories. Some call this "Classic." I've owned a few. One was the "Grandson of Ampzilla", that's right, the Grandson. A 40 watt at 8 ohms, and 80 watt at 4 ohms. Sonically, it was outstanding. James Bongourno I believe, was the designer. Thankyou James for the splendor of owning a great amplifier. Several months ago, I was looking for a new amp. I read about the XPA-1 Monoblocks. Upon receiving them, hooking them up, I immediately knew, these were something very special. Is it the best amp of all time? No. Is it close? Yes. Very close. They are very open, quiet, neutral and overall disappear. Very few amps at any price, are going to embarass these amplifiers. I didn't buy these because they were a bargain. I bought them hoping that they were half as good as they are. Of course, now I'm glad they were a bargain. Today, $2,000 dollars is still alot of money. But not for what you're getting in return. For anyone thinking about buying a new amplifier, purchase these. You'll never forget them. If you settle for less, you'll regret it. I would like to thank everyone at Emotiva, from the floorsweeper on up, for your work that helped produce such musical amplifiers.They are the Strativarius of audio amplification! Job well done. With Fondest Regards, R. Crane (5 STARS)

Submitted by patmacav a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
The EMOTIVA XPA-1 Differential Reference™ Mono-block Power Amplifier!
What an amp!

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't listen to, but I know what I'll be listening to.. for hopefully, a very long time. These XPA-1 Monos make my Magnepan IIIAs sing as they were designed to sing. I've been driving these Maggies with a Pioneer Elite 59TXi A/V Receiver, for sometime now and although this was their flagship A/V receiver just a few years back, at mid volume they performed ok, but if I wanted to listen at higher volumes, the music would sound stressed, bright, harsh, blurred, smudged, and just plain.. well, I'm sure you get the picture. I knew I had an insufficient power problem, as these Maggies are knowned to be power hungry and might be considered bright and hard to drive by some..

But not any more.:-)

They have been fed, stuffed and they are happy. ;^)

I can crank the volume until your ears bleed and the sound quality just gets.. louder!! And just stays.. Detailed.. and Musical! And I've only used a small amount of the total power available. Now I know what some mean, when they say, "it's all about the power", with these speakers.

These monos are big and heavy, but they perform effortlessly and the music is.. musical!

Are you blown away yet by my amazing lack of sufficiently descriptive adjectives? Have I grown verbose in my verbage? Okay then, try this; detailed, hard hitting, gentle, fluid and REAL! It's music to my ears.

If you're concerned about hooking them up and the impact they'll have on your 15 amp circuit, as I was, don't be. I run two of these bad boys and the 59TXi and all my other gear except the TV through a Panamax M5400-PM, which displays the amount of amperage and voltage running through the unit and used by all the equipment connected to it. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw; it usually hangs in the 2.2 amp range and sometimes reaches the 4.+ range for some very dynamic material when pushed hard with everything I listed above connected and powered. I'm sure that if I cranked things loud enough, I could probably blow something up, but I'd have to be wearing earplugs and I'd wonder what all those sound waves might be doing to my internal organs.

One last note; this is one of those amps that make you want to play through all your audio favorites again and again, just to hear them as they were meant to be listened to. And, I assure you, you'll enjoy every minute of it.

I am in no way affiliated with EMOTIVA or the manufacturer of these fine amps and I gain nothing by posting this review; only the satisfaction of sharing my experience with each of you.

Strengths:
Great power - Headroom-Headroom-Headroom - dynamics and finesse.
Crystalline sound envelops you in a omni-directional soundwave which is everywhere!

Weaknesses:
Eat your wheaties folks; these are big and heavy! You get what you pay for (and more) with these bad boys, no doubt about it!