Electrocompaniet AW-120 Amplifiers

120 Watt Dual Mono/Balanced Power Amplifier

Submitted by triumph_900 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
The final amp by itself is really something. You should give a look at the Electrocompaniet web site to better understand the "philosophy" of Per Abrahamsen with regards to his approach to music reproduction.
The sonic results are oustanding and they are really worth while a listening by a Hi-Fi center. Even if You are an expert audiophile with High End reference systems please take Your time to give an audition to this amps and, my personal advice, to the other elements from EC. The sound is all there from low frequencies to the high ones with a sense of "liquidity" in the the mid range that makes You fall in love with this product in particular if You listen to music for many hours in a day.
The result of all this, in my case, was the purchase of the Pre 4.7 and then the marvellous CD Player EMC1 with the 24/292 DAC. The Sinergy that You can create (using high level XLR balanced signal cables like the Audioquest Amazon that I'm using at the moment) is something that can be defined as a REFERENCE in high end misic listening.
If You think this is not completely true, please try with Your own ears and experience.

P.S.: Sorry for my English: I'm Italian.

Purchased At:   AudiogoN

Submitted by Aris Petropoulos a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Before buying this amplifier i auditioned many others even more expensive ones since i could spend up to 5000$.
I can tell you this is the only amplifier that despite the fact that it is solid state it has tubelike mids and highs in addition with the power and low distortion of solid state.
I use a pair of B&W 804 Nautilus and it drives them with admirable power and speed giving them tight bass.
It worths every cent and even more.

Purchased At:   soundexpression

Submitted by Lloyd Guiberteau a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have gone through quite a few amps in my time (20 years of spending money-trading etc.) and I always liked the Levinson sound for clarity and the BIG McIntosh for ease and non-fatigue listening. I recently sold the Levinson and bought the Electrocompaniet 120 based on the quality of my Electrocompaniet CD player. I am bi- amping a pair of Legacy Whispers with it and a Mcintosh 352. The 120 handles the upper 300hz and above and what sweetness it is. It has a tube quality but also brings a sense of realness and handles
the midrange better than the 331. I can listen without fatigue and still not feel that I am listening to a system but to music playing in my room. They are there is a better way to say it. Even set up in a one amp configuration it handles the full range to where only head bangers might be missing out on teh aggravating elements of the lower end. It is an amp that is easy to live with and very pleasing to look at. At 3995 retail or even less in some Audiogon deals it is not cheap but you might be buying your last amp when you settle down with it. Great piece.

Submitted by James Henry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have used the DMB120 with the EC 4.6 pre-amp for almost two years and I cannot praise them too highly. The DMB120 is a super high powered design (80A!) capable of driving any speaker load presented to it. In musical terms, the soundstage is expansive with no background noise or interference, allowing the musicians to present themselves to you in a way that forced me to make the purchase. In terms of the price/quality ratio, I cannot think of anything that comes close.

Submitted by Tony Galvez a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
The AW120 DMB partnered with the EC 4.5 is undoubtedly the best pre/power combination I have heard todate. Tube like in sound without being laid back. Very musical and velvety. Difficult combination to beat. Very exhilirating. With the EMC 1 CD player, the most ideal high end set-up you can find. Now I believe this is as close as you get to real music. Try and audition it and you will not be sorry ! I would have given it a 10 but I am constrained to give it a 5.