Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 Ch. Amplifiers

4.92/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $4000.00

5 channel amplifier 300-watts x 5 @ 8-ohms with less than 0.003% THD 600-watts x 5 @ 4-ohms with less than 0.006% THD 1000-watts x5 @ 2-ohms with less than 0.006% THD

Submitted by joseph Sahyoun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
Folks I was looking around for what you guys have been posting here about Cinenova. GOD
Thank you guys!!!!!
The making of Cinenova.
Back in the 90's, I was in Boston Ma. at Joel Cohen home He was hosting an audio society gathering at his home, Joel is one of founder of the surround processor as we know it. Joel founded Audio Concept and have since retired and moved to Australia. During the conference Joel award Earthquake of been “ unconventionally better than the product look” Joel said this in front of Engineers from Harman, Bose, and many others. In fact Joel repeated these comments in many reviews.
In 1990, I had built 4 subwoofers for Joel that were 7th order band pass, for those of you who don’t know what that is. It’s a box where the subwoofer is place in the middle inside the box firing into two opposite enclosures. Each of the enclosure is tuned with a port,one octave apart. In any event, Joel had placed these four enclosures in the corner of his home theater room. During this conference, Joel was bragging about getting some 110 DB at 13 Hz in this room ( not sure about the number). Joel then asked me why don’t I make a five channel amplifier that can deliver a 36 dB dynamic headroom over 5 watt note. I liked his idea and ran with it to my engineers in CA. At that time I had a German Engineer name Kirk Bracht. Kirk and I did not hit the drawing board , we hit the listening room. Armed with an Audio Precision, HP,Fluke analyzers, we placed our own version of Titan speakers in a reasonably sized room. We had acquired several tube amplifiers, solid state, class A, Class AB, we tested it all. We went from MOSFET to bipolar; from class A to class D; listening, measuring, time energy frequency plot, blind folded listening test we did it all.
When it was all said and done, we knew that it will be class AB TUNED feedback that we have to build. We knew that it will be bipolar, and it better have a massive current and massive damping factor.
Each channel of the Cinenova is loaded with the best Toshiba devices ever made. Each device has an RMS rating of 300Watts. WE USED 10 PER BOARD. Then we went on to make the amplifier modular to save the user freight cost in the event of failures. And placed a massive 40 lbs transformer by filer design to deliver total channel isolation. The amplifier has one toroid but each channel has its own power supply
The result was a 110 lbs monster amp that delivered the following stats.
5 channel x 300 WRMS 8 ohm ( actually measured 360WRMS in different reviews)
Distortion THD+ NOISE wide band 0.003
Signal to noise well over 110dBA over full bandwidth
Channel separation also 110dBA
Now then what is the damping factor which is a measure of quality a 25 damping factor and up is good. Well guys it was so high that we could not measure it. I think we report about 1500++

Enough stats since this is about audio, you are the judges, thank you very much for your kind words. One more thing. If you have a Cinenova 3,5,7 that is serial number starts with 95 up until 20, you might want to call us for an estimate on a tune up for it. We offer a tune up for these amplifiers that includes changing all of the capacitors ( our cost on the caps $50 per channel) installing an input hush circuit, soft start. Typically $350 on the 3 channel and about 500$ on the 5 and the 7 channel. The replacement capacitor uses thin film technology with 100 Vdc up from 8 Vdc.
I read on this form that one of you had seen the clip light indicator flashing. It will flash as follow. IF the user hits 70 to 80 % of the max output it will flash That is fine and normal. If the LED is continually on, then you are clipping flashing is normal .
Again thanks for this form and for you that you share your experience with other users,
Your brother in audiophile
Joseph Sahyoun, ESC president.

Submitted by dr bud a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have used this amp for 5 months now.i previously used a rotel rmb 1095.In 5 channel dvd,sacd audio it is a good improvment.The amp really puts power to all the speakers without stress.It seems to have more punch and sounds more open.I love listening to music loud on occasions,and with the rotel after 20 to 30 minutes of extreme listening it would get too hot and shut down.The cinenova stays warm and keeps on going.Now when i say loud i mean 110dbs or more.Most audiophiles don't listen at those levels i know.I grew up with cerwin vegas and klipsch,so i still love rockin out at times.It's the kid in me yet i guess.I did prefer my rotel rmb 1090 for 2 channel listening as it could play as loud as i could want were the cinenova's clip lights will come on if i try to reach the same volumes i did with the 1090.I read alot of reviews before buying this amp how everyone said "i never saw the clip lights come on no matter how hard i pushed it".Well they come on for me?!The rotel 1090 was not as fast as the nova but i think it had more detail and just all around more power.The cinenova is great for movies.Alot more detail than the rotel 1095.Not a very technical review i know.This is a great amp though for its price which can be bought new for around $2500 if you look.

Submitted by vroski1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
this amp has the most powerful clean sound my pre amp i use a pioneer vsx-92 for the new audio formats like tru-hd paid 700.00 for the receiver what a good pair speakers are top of the line studio jbl l890, lc2, l820, this combination competes with my neighbors 30.000 dollar system

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by al marrocco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
Cinenova Grande is simply, "Awesome"!
Its all what is described in these reviews but I am in the customer service business of High Tech components.
I had an issue with a buzzing in my 3 fronts. I'm Bi Amping. I called Earthquake and was handle professionally as well as directed in what to do to take care of the problem.
It came down the the point where I even received phone calls from the President / Head engineer.
I do not know of any other company today in which this type of postion being held by a professional, would be involved at the customer level.
My hats off to this company because its obvious by the reviews posted on this site that Earthquake sound should be considered by all Audiophiles going forward.
These folks were great and my problem has been solved. It required a little work but we are solved and listening to that zero floor noise that these Amps are known for.
Thanks again Earthquake sound, you folks are appreciated.

Purchased At:   Affordable home Thea

Submitted by Bigbuck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just is a great amp all the way around! I have had it over a year, and it seems to just get better! For the money, you just can not beat how it sounds and how well its put together! More power then i will ever need. If you get a chance to pick one up, i would!

Price Paid:    $1900.00