Dynaco Stereo 35 Amplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $80.00

EL-84 Stereo amplifier, 17w/channel (1964-1969)

Submitted by FAP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
This little amp was given to me some time ago by a friend to whom it was given previously and didn't want it...so I got it for nothing. As it was, it worked but something was clearly wrong with it as all the output valves got very hot quickly along with the power transformer, not to mention the judicious audio distortion! Being a technician from way back I realized that a little restoration would probably restore its original performance.

So slowly but surely components were measured and changed, if needed. My Dynaco was built as a kit around 1971 or thereabouts and components from that time had issues with value 'stability'. Most of the resistors had drifted very 'high' in value and they were replaced with metal film resistors of the right circuit values according to the circuit diagram that came with the amplifier. Replacing the resistors helped, but the problems remained. In the end, I also ended up replacing all the coupling capacitors with high voltage polyester capacitors of the right values.

Every one of the original coupling capacitors was very electrically 'leaky' and was badly messing up the various bias voltages, thence causing all the overheating and audio distortion! All other components were fine. I was amazed how cool the amplifier now ran and without any audio distortion!

It's a very nice little amp. As the output power is small, it helps to team the amp with efficient loudspeakers. Sound quality wise, it's a superb little amplifier. Yes it sounds like a valve amp, but isn't that what valve amps are supposed to sound like?! Yes. Lovely, smooth and laid back sound with no obvious noise and/ hum!

Submitted by Clay Jephson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my second tube amplifier. My first was a Mcintosh 30 wpc integrated amp. I sold that amp many years back to cover tuition at college. I had been running an AMC 2N100-5 power amp through an Accuras pre-amp and DCM time window speakers. The DCM's are now hooked up to the Dynaco and the high dollar stuff is going up for auction on Ebay. I like the Dynaco, enough said.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I found this little gem on my way home from work maybe 2-3 years ago - it was on a trash heap. I scooped it up, took it home and it's been powering my system ever since. The bass is fine and the smooth highs are what I really like about this amp. Since I've started using this amp my search for the optimum sound (and consequent spending) ended. Funny how that is.

Sadly it's out of balance so I've been poking around the web looking for answers. I'm not an electronics whiz so it's kind of hard going.

I gave it 5 stars for value because heck, I found it on a trash heap and it's sweet. No greater bargain than that.

I gave it 5 stars overall because it truly is far better than I imagined, the sound is pretty incredible especially considering the low wattage it puts out.

Purchased At:   Trash heap

Submitted by Patrik Norling a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my first Tube gear and I will proably keep it for the rest of my life (I am 24). The sound is fuller and easier to listen to then anything I have heard.

If you find one and you like the way it sounds, buy it!

Purchased At:   Sontec

Submitted by Mike Royer a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I found myself listening to a lot of my collection in a different light. No, this is not the last word in amplifiers but, this little baby does have a measure of magic to offer. The bass is soft and wooly. The highs are rolled off. The mids are nectar from the gods. My snobby audiophile friends who have more money than time to invest into such an adventure were blown away when the right type of music was played. If your musical collection needs to be heard with a nice little twist to it, try one of these beauties.
The admission price will only set you back 200-300 dollars. Now, please, if you know how to spend this amount of money on a different component and get this type of satisfaction, I'm in there!!!

SFLAT: