Doxa 70SE Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Singel Ended Solid State amp

Submitted by ORION WSP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the amp from a second-hand shop, with no previous knowledge on what it is. I only have a short and brief audition to ensure that it works. But the surprise came when I reached home and installed her to one of my systems.

I guess there are several models of the 70. Mine is the Doxa 70 Mk II. That's what printed on the panel. So I guess mine is a lower version of the SE or the Signature. But still the two much oversized transformers that added weights to the well constructed amplifier addressed her potential. I guess the transformers were the same ones used on the SE or the Signture.

I agree with all reviewers' comments on the doxa amplifiers. Apart from the hair raising definition, the amplifier is extremely smooth and drives speakers effortlessly. The amplifier performs so well that it controls the whole system with ease, just like it is a take for granted result. I love the way it drives difficult speakers like Dynaudio bookself. The sound is warm and full. Harmonics are clean. It may be right that the amp have some difficulties in driving larger floorstanding speakers such as my JM Lab, and there are difficulties in finding a QUALITY matching pre-amp for her. But this is the fun and joy of reproducing music via audio systems.

For the time being, my Doxa 70 Mk II is driving a pair of Dynaudio, and it is the best match for her in my house. Don't try it with transmission lines. I have try her on my TDL monitor 1, and the sound becomes thin and sift. I recommend the amp for matching with quality bookselves. Enjoy the control it gives!

By the way, grateful if audio fans could inform me on further informations on Doxa amps, say the difference between 70, 70 II, 70 SE and 70 Signature. Are ther any other models from Doxa?

Purchased At:   Hong Kong, price lis

Submitted by Ivar Loekken a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Doxa SE provides excellent value for money, but the twice as expensive Signature-model is in a different league. However, if you want a hi-fi system with a taste of high-end to it without emptying all your bank accounts the SE is a good place to start. It does very few sonical mistakes, but be careful to match it properly. Far from all other products that are logical to match with the Doxa because of similar prices are able to unleash it's potential.

Award-Winning Axiom: