Denon POA-5200 Amplifiers

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

THX Ultra 2 channel amplifier

Submitted by AUDIOBUGGED a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
When using the POA-5200 to drive the fronts on my AVR-4800 it is pure audio nirvana. Especially with SACD using a CDP-S333ES. I actually feel for 2 channel in direct mode it tops the flagship AVR-5800, as I am in the process of auditioning one, as I type this. I was looking for a intergrated amp. for a 3rd audio only set-up (Master Bedroom). I purchased a Acurus Dia-100 MKII & was really disapointed for a Stereophile B rated component. I really liked the sound of the Denon line-up & next purchased a PMA-2000R, which is a C class rated component. It smoked the Acurus!!! This was to be paired with a Sony CDP-XA20ES, (Sweet unit a "Major Keeper", hard to believe it's a Sony, check the reviews). The PMA-2000R which Denon advertises as an Audiophile Intergrated Amp., in Direct Source mode shuts down & becomes strictly an amp. The Phono Stage on the PMA was awesome when paired with a Music Hall MMF-7, yet I wasn't interested in doing another Vinyl set-up. I just wasn't happy with the sound for digital. Next came mono block amps, Music Fidelity (Cute, Expensive), & Marantz ma-500. (the MA isn't worth capitalizing, YUCK) Ran across an older mint pair of Denon PM0-2400's. Still not happy, as I was demonstrating my H/T set-up to a Friend with the Gladiator DVD. I glanced at the POA. Gently "Ripped" the 5200 off the 4800, for kicks & ran for the bedroom. The old saying "Right under your Nose" is true!!! I am now the proud owner of 2 POA-5200's. Connecting the CDP-XA20ES to the POA-5200 via variable out with Tributaries SCA-150 1 meter interconnects, has left a smile on my face which many months latter hasn't worn off!!! This Amp is so Under-Rated & has been Pigeonholed for just Home Theater use, do to it's THX Certification. Well like Mikey say "Try It, You'll Like It".

Submitted by 7klipsch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was driving seven speakers with a 3801, I hooked mains up to this and noticed a definite improvement right away- no doubt about it. Reducing the load on the 3801 made all the other chanels improve as well. I might go insane and add two or three more of these and just use 3801 as a pre-amp(as another reviewer is doing)This is an awesome peice of gear! I have found Denon to match great with Klipsch speakers, by the way.

Purchased At:   Brandsmart

Submitted by CGR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Using with 3801. Noticed improvement right away (and the 3801 isn't bad)when I hooked my main speakers up to this bad boy. Tighter Bass, more dynamic,better detail- no question about it. Break in time was not a factor- it sounded great right out of the box, but did not improve much over time ( at least not yet, with over 250 hours to date )

Purchased At:   Brandsmart

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am using 2 of these with:
Denon AVR-3801
Polk Monitor 10B (2, Fronts)
Polk CS 1000p (1, Center)
Polk f/x 1000 (2, Rear)
Hope to buy a third for the rear channels.
Noticed a big difference when I hooked up the external amps. My brother said he noticed a difference as soon as I popped in a DVD. Well worth the price if you can find them on sale.

Purchased At:   AudioBuys

Submitted by aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use it to drive my ML Aerius spkrs in a home theater with a Denon 4800. Perfect match with the 4800 and a nice upgrade from the receiver alone when driving all sprkrs. Good upgrade if you use Denon receiver and less than easy to drive spkrs.

TARA LABS: