Denon POA-4400 Amplifiers

150 Watt Mono Block (1988-1991)

Submitted by Rocco Bruno a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
These mono amps have responded to every situation I have thrown at them. These amps shine with great jazz and classical recordings. I love pop but the recordings leave a lot to be desired. The sound stage is rock solid at all volume levels. These amps offer a neutral sound charateristic that I could easily spend 5x more and not get. The bass dampening is accurate and the trebel seperation is incredible. 13 years and still ticking.

Purchased At:   Read & Cambell

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
My current system consists of an Adcom GCD-750 CD player, Yamaha TX-950 tuner, Sony ES Mini-Disc, Denon AVP-5000 preamp, and a pair of the Denon POA-4400's driving Klipsch Legend 20's.

My father has had the Denon AVR-2500 for a few years now (we're upgrading to the 4800 shortly) and I've always loved the warmth and punch that the AVR-2500 delivered to his B&Ws. Although the total cost of my system was greater--I was using a Carver TFM-35--there was an element to the sound of his system that I really wanted. That led me to seek out a Denon amplifier.

The idea of a mono amp always appealed to me in that it provides all the signal separation your souces can provide. Furthermore, having independent power supplies, each channel is always operating at its optimum.

In light of this, the POA-4400 was a logical choice. I got an absolutely MINT pair of them second hand, and I'm never short of amazed of their sound in my system. Given the Klipsch's sensitivity of 100db/w @ 1 m, I have literally endless power reserves. No matter how hard I try (and I have!) I cannot get the amps to clip. I can't even get them hot!! Power aside, what really sold me was their creamy sound....audiophiles may snub the name "Denon", but it is a foolish audiophile who snubs excellent sound.

Submitted by Michel Molier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
A well voiced powerhouse, that can handle high outputs to low impedance 'problem' speakers whilst remaining smooth and authoritive. Does not mix well with lower quality components, These demand a decent cd-player. Revealing !
Two POA-4400 amps have been the centre of my setup for years now. The setup consists of a Denon DCD-1520 connected directly to the amps and Infinity speakers (RS-5000).

Award-Winning Axiom: