Denon POA-2800 Amplifiers

4.71/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

200 Watts - Twin Monaural Chassis - (1991-1994)

Submitted by Cenap Ozben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have been using Denon POA in my main stereo system together with NAD 1155 preamplifier for more than a year. The preamp is a legend itself. However, together with this amp, they are beautifull. I also used Denon POA 4400 monoblocks when I wan living in the States. They were also perfect. I like the detail of the sound, the seperation ability of the instruments in music in this amp. I love POA 2800. I think I am going to use it as long as it serves me. One of the price/performance is the best amplifier.

Submitted by MarZutra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I must admit that I am no "Audiophile" but an enthusiast. I've owned a Denon system, including the beefy 200wpc POA-2800 and it is a remarkable amplifier in all respects with regards to sound quality and value for money when compared directly with similar products. I had replaced an older system powered by a very powerful NIKKO Alpha II. Although the sound quality of the NIKKO was not quite to the same level as the Denon POA-2800, I must admit that the build quality of the NIKKO was far superior to the Denon. Virtually the only thing one could say openly against this amplifier. I had upgraded my older system with a system that was entirely Denon power into Paradigm and the sound was simply remarkable. I too must admit, due to my often moving about, my system tragically spent more time in boxes then out. I am recently upgrading my entire system and have chosen to replace my POA-2800 with the only logical - and superior - step: monoblocks. Anyone who manages to pick up one of these monsters on the used market will be well rewarded with their sound quality and reliability. Very good bang for the buck. Enjoy...

Submitted by Toeknee2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this Amp new back in 1995 for $1600 AU and it has proven to be my best Hifi investment. I use it to run a set of Dali 109's which I have compared to the latest Chinese models and they are way superior.
The POA-2800 is very well detailed and musical. Having said that if you turn it up it becomes a HUGE machine.
If you can pick one up for less than a grand go for it, the amp will sound better and smash most amps far more the cost.

Submitted by Warren J a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
This summary is for the POA-2800, The amplifier sounds cleaner than the Monster Power MPA-2250 I replaced. It is true that, this amp will reproduce exactly what is fed into the input. The midrange spectrum (vocals, female or male) sound uncolored and airy! I am using a Denon AVR 3805 as a pre-amp, Denon DVD 3930ci as the cd player, Monster Power AVS 2000 Line Conditioner, Monster Power 2100 Line Filter, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1, Anthony Gallo MPS 150 (subwoofer in mono) and Canare Cables. I love these cables but back to the summary! The bass is well defined as has authority on the Gallos, the clarity is just plain better than the H/K PA 2400 and the Monster MPA-2250 even though the Monster is rated at 250 w/ch, it does have power, but the Denon POA 2800 has that clean sound and the imaging is down right airy with the Gallos, the treble seems to extend beyond hearing on certain recordings, especially instrumentals... I find myself digging out old scratched up CDs just to test this beast, it runs warm (normal) but not hot. I am a big Denon fan because I love the sound of the Denon Link option ver.3, it beats RCA hands down. The best feature is the AVR 3805 can custom tune sound in any room, and when it feeds its tailored acoustic sound through the Denon POA 2800, its front seating in the arena! I paid 310.00 off ebay plus shipping, it is a "no-brainer", you can't bridge it, the binding posts suck, and the power cable looks cheap... but I am thinking about doing a power cable upgrade using an "iec" connector. I also have to figure out how to use banana cables with the factory binding posts. No electrical equipment is perfect and this thing is old, but it sounds better than my $3000 dollar Monster, $1600 H/K PA 2400 and etc.

Submitted by Figaro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
The POA 2800 amp is quiet and powerful. It will drive just about any quality speaker down to very low impedance levels. At normal listening it is pure class A. Add a precise preamp and the sound you hear will only depend on your source, speakers, and listening area. For the money your ears are not good enough to tell one of these from an equivalent powered Krell, Bryston, or Threshold amp.

CSB 1206 BLK: