David Berning Co. Siegfried 300B Amplifiers

Single-ended, ZOTL type amp with 5-7 watts/channel

Submitted by Weldon Jackson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my previous review of about three years ago(above)that is apparently still the only one. Since that time, I have experimented with a number of high efficiency/high impedance speaker types to see if the performance would improve as one would expect with such a low-power tube amplifier. These speakers included Coincident Technologies Super Conquests, Lowther Medallion IIs, and Avantgarde Duo's (v.2) hornspeakers. To my continued surprise, I still much prefer the sound of the original Paradigm Reference Studio 100s with their 88dB efficiency and average impedance characteristics.

I believe now that this has something to do with Berning's unique impedance converter that eliminates the typical audio output transformer used on tube amps. It's also possible I've stumbled on a very favorable system synergy, including room shape and speaker set-up and ancillary components that are just "happy" with each other. And yet I've tried to best the performance with other amps and the above speakers and nothing outperforms the Berning so far in the present system line-up. So I'm still happily listening to it. The truth is I've recently stopped trying to get better performance because each time I listen, I continue to marvel at the sound, enjoying revelation after revelation. I feel as if I really have a clear window into the recording studio and specifications be damned! My other system components include a Grado Reference cartridge, Immedia RPM 2 arm and table, Alpha-core silver interconnects, Hovland HP-100 preamp, Alpha-core silver biwire "serpents" speaker cable, and of course the Berning Siegfried 300B and Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. So when I go to listen, I'm in audio heaven, and I think I'll stay there for a while. I haven't had the upgrade urge for a long time now, because I don't think I can do much better!

Purchased At:   Direct from David Berning Co.

Submitted by Weldon K. Jackson a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
A most amazing amplifier. Output transformerless using one Western Electric 300B output tube per channel. The amazing thing is it sure doesn't sound like what one would imagine a low powered amplifier should. It is, quite simply, the most dynamic (that's right), realistic presentation I've heard from any amp. It's all there from the frequency extremes to an eerily realistic midrange. Just magic. And I am using Paradigm Reference Studio 100 speakers ( 88dB efficient, with minimum impedance @90 to 200Hz of around 3 ohms!).

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile