Cyrus 2 Amplifiers

4.3/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by Singingrazor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
To begin with I was quite disapointed this amp. The vertion I have is the cyrus 2 mark 3. From what I have read the best of the bunch.
I found the treble was spashy and not much in the way of good detail. However the sound improved greatly after around 60 hours of use. I later realised new interconnects was the problem.
Now after around 300 hours of listning I can say I have fallen for this amp.
I like the minimal design. I dont mind the finish eather. Nextel finish, the mark 3 is all metal in construction.
The soundstage is fantastic, just try Dire Straights Alchemy and imagine being stood in the mixing booth.
The amp takes hold of the music and punches it out. Huge dynamics. I really could do with a bigger room to really wind this baby up.
Bass is well controlled, mids are very musical and treble sounds spot on. Although bass will go deep there may not be enough for bass heads.
The presentation of music is very very neutral. If the music was well recorded and the disk well mastered thats what you will hear, conversly the opposite is true.
This amp will take a while to warm up and you may notice it getting slightly louder as it does so.
This is an amp for vinyl lovers. If you want a amp for cd playback pass this over and leave it for someone
who wants to use it with a turntable.
I have read on other reviews here about a slight hum. I tryed to get mine to hum. Only with the volume wound right round with no source playing was a hum heard.
In summary hook this amp up with any decent vinyl set up for hours of plesure. Use bigger speakers if you want more bass I guess.

Submitted by scrivens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Mission Cyrus 2 + PSX metal box ms6 on lead-filled mounts

Superb phono-stage: used with almost any MM deck this will sound good

However with marantz CD6000 the bass is loose slow and woolly and the treble just shreiks, I also tried phillipsCD same result...this box just won't play classica/l orchestral/organ/opera....ok/good for rock/pop music due to the high compression in the recording...(.larger speakers might assist the messy sound stage)

Surprisingly in view of the above, FM reproduction is steady and assured even with a modest sony tuner...with a manual-tuned marantz ST300 it was equally assured...it would be interesting to hear how it will cope with the lower-quality of DAB....FM carrier-wave squeek was not noticeable

conclusion
pair with good quality record deck for a superb vinyl set up
Don't bother with the headphone socket ( it probably won't work anyway!)
may reward larger speakers to improve CD but ultimately there are better integrated amps out there if you wish to listen to CD. Should be able to pick up decent specimens around £350 all in

Submitted by Thermionic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
I guessed where to post this review - under Cyrus 1 or Cyrus 2.
In fact the amplifier I am describing is a Mission Cambridge - one which is similar to Mission Cyrus.
The looks is quite the same but the cover is made of metal rather than plastic.
I have not seen any written specs but I estimate it is somewhere in the 50W per channel region.
Just from the beginning I somewhat fell for this amplifier.
It sounded open and clear with a good soundstage.
Without pretending to be in the hi-end category it was obvious that this was a
quality product.
What I wanted to say is that I upgraded the amplifier:
1. replaced the 4 caps in the pre-amplifier section with Black Gates
2. replaced 2 sets of the input RCAs with Cardas
3. replaced the speaker terminals with Cardas Rhodium over copper
4. removed the cover - it simply coud not fit as the Black Gates I installed are bigger in size than the previous capacitors (although same values)
The amplifier is now in a different class - it is unbeliavable how much better it is.
There is a deep soundstage behind the speakers.
The highs and especially mids are astonishing.
The bass line is well defined (especially bass guitar) although there is no much power in the deep bass area.
But it is unrealistic to expect deep bass from an amplifier of this type and size.
I don't know which of the changes contributes most to this great effect but I guess that all are important.
I am sure that any Cyrus 2 amplifier can be upgraded in the same way to a great effect.
I strongly recommend the upgrade.

Submitted by mysticfred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Cyrus 2 is a legendary classic amp, a thoroughbred among many mass-market models available in the mid-80's and still sought after by audiophiles for its holographic imaging, full bass and sweet treble, though careful system matching and cabling is important to get the best sound. Some may find the sound hard with incorrect speakers, but careful matching will be rewarded with a solid dependable amp which can still out-perform moderm amplifiers under £1000. Used the Cyrus 2 can cost £150 - 270 with PSX power supply.

A PSX power supply is available which boosts the power and performance of the amp, but the original amp MUST have the two internal fuses removed from it otherwise connection to the PSX will result in blown fuses in the PSX. Also when set up the amps must be set up in sequence, and any alterations such as speaker cable/interconnect changes must be done while the units are switched off. Warming up time should be only one hour, these are Class AB amops and they run very hot, so no stting inside a rack, they must have a lot of ventilation.

Phono for MM / MC switchable, also CD output, Tuner, Headphones, Tape in and Tape out. One set of speaker terminals, biamping is uneccessary if a good quality single run of cable is used for each speaker.

If you manage to pick up one of these gems you will be "amply" rewarded!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Gary Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this amp to replace my NAD 310. Was looking for more power, and detail.

Equipment used:
Marantz CD67SE, Mordaunt Short MS10i, Wireworld Terra III speaker cables and Wireworld Oasis II interconnects.

Initial impressions of the Cyrus 2 were, built like a tank, kinda ugly, listening wise..had good taut bass, lots of detail.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the forwardness, as the soundstage feels large. Although i run them with tiny MS10i's, you can go really loud without any problems. Even 'busy' music played loud had everything solidly stuck on the soundstage.
Made the speakers sound larger overall.

Good for all types of music, including soft jazz and vocals to rock music.

looking for a PSX now.

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Samsung HWF751XS 2.1 wireless sound bar

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Hi All[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]I recently bought a Samsung TV UA55F8000 with free 2.1 wireless sound bar (Samsung HWF751XS). The retail price is at S$799. I already have Yamaha sound system hence I won't be using it. I am selling it...please let me k ... Read More »

3 speakers on a 2 channel amp

I'm installing an outdoor audio system on a large patio and am considering installing three speakers (2 left channel and 1 right in a L-R-L configuration). I'm looking at using Definitive Technology AW-6500's which are 8 ohm speakers. The amp I want to get is the Emotiva UPA-200 which is rated for ... Read More »

Need help with building my first set of 2 way speakers!

Hi everyone, I'm trying to build a pair of 2 way speakers from recycled woofers and new parts. I salvaged some old school, 3 way speakers from the tip earlier this year. One was empty inside and the other had 2 working 8 inch woofers and one damaged tweeter/midrange. I disassembled the working sp ... Read More »

Goertz Triode Quartz 2 copper

I noticed last night that one of the TQ2 is not performing properly. The sound of the Studio 530's are so focused that a quartet I was listening to sounded like the cello player was on break. MIA so to speak. I switched cables and the cellist was back but I lost a violinist. They seem to work electr ... Read More »

2 Channel Audio system for under 1000?

I am trying to put together a two channel audio system for a buddy of mine that has recently gotten into viny. I have a used adcom gfa II that we are thinking of building the system around, that he is going to give me 300 for. He has a decent turntable, so looking for a pair of bookshelves or towers ... Read More »

High End: