Conrad-Johnson MF5600 Amplifiers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $3995.00

5-channel Home Theatre Amplifier

Submitted by liu78 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
The amp I wanted for a long time! I wanted a component with natural sound, yet could still "bring it" when things get loud and rude. It excels with music
which is a must considering how much a great soundtrack can add to a film.

I won't score it a 5 as there are even better amps out there...but even at full price this amp is a keeper!!! So, give it 4.8 overall at list price. If you can fall into a similar deal to mine then it will easily rate over 5.0.

Purchased At:   N.Calif-high-end sho

Submitted by Mike Little a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
A great amplifier for movies or music. I bought based on a review and recommendation from a former owner. The amp sounds much more powerful than the rated specs. The connections are easy to reach and make. This thing is a joy for serious listening. A good value at retail price, an oustanding used value, if in good condition.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Jock a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Other reviewers, magazines got it spot on.. This amp is amazing.. I use it with an Anthem AV20, Red Rose Front channels, B&W centre and Kef 2005's for sub amd side/rears in a second system for a smaller lounge.. It sounds just as good on stereo as surround.. I have tried several cables and currently have settled on Bel S12's and Bel 'The wire' P1 interconnects.. I've have benchamarked it against the Bel 1001 MK4's (stereo/front channels) and recckon this sounds as good and is more practical for lower power + surropund system standpoint. Have also compared it with EAD PM 2000 and 1000 and it certainly is equal to these if your speakers are not too power hungry.
The power-off thump is unusual, but you get used to it and it seems to do no harm to componets. The Loudspeaker connections are small, but this is a minor thing as they are at least of a very good quality/build ..

Purchased At:   Audio Clasics

Submitted by Ronald Goldblum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is one great-sounding multi-channel amplifier. If your goal is to achieve audiophile-quality sound from home theater components, this is the unit to buy. I have paired it with the excellent, very neutral-sounding Aragon Soundstage preamp-processor (see my recently-posted review of this unit). This is a dynamite combination. The resulting sound is natural-sounding, very musical and never fatiguing. The soundstage that the pair present is huge. The reviews in The Perfect Vision and Home Theater (rated it 97/100 for performance) magazines got it right. Unless you own power-hungry, extremely inefficient speakers, I doubt that there exists a better-sounding multi-channel home theater amplifier. The sound is clearly superior to the Rotel 985 unit that I previously owned (although that is a very good amplifier). The bass reproduction of my main B&W speakers is notably improved.

Connections are very easy with the provided high-quality speaker binding posts. This unit features a remote turn on circuit which I connected using a $4 Radio Shack cable to my Aragon Soundstage. I can operate my complete system remotely from my sofa. The MF 5600 does make a loud thumping sound when turned on and off (even remotely), but this sound is mechanical and is not transmitted through the speakers. I am told that the build quality of this unit is outstanding. Certainly, the external chassis, finish and connections are of superior quality.

I spoke with the technical support people at Conrad-Johnson several times when I was trying to figure out how to connect the trigger circuit. They are highly responsive, and very friendly (much better than the average technical support group).

I have heard that this unit has not sold well because Conrad-Johnson does not yet market a preamplifier-processor to pair with this unit. Don't let that deter you from auditioning this unit. Paired with a high quality preamplifier-processor like the Aragon Soundstage, listening can be audiophile nirvana!

Purchased At:   Audio Associates, Madison, MS

Submitted by George a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
"The Perfect Vision" review got it just right - except I never feel that the Conrad-Johnson smoothes things out, but then I do use Nordost cables (Blue Heaven and Red Dawn) throughout. It is the best sounding 5-channel amplifier I have heard which can also be used without excuses for Stereo. I use an EAD Encore HT processor - another great sounding piece (but which is flawed by having no controls on the facsia - everything is on the remote!).
The one flaw(?) with the C-J is the very clunky on/off switch and the power-off thump - neither mentioned in the review. The Loudspeaker connections are also a little close together.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile