Classe CA-2100 Amplifiers

• Phase < -10° (22kHz)
  • Sensitivity 1.0Vrms
  • Height 4.75” (121 mm)
  • Rated power consumption 260W

Submitted by brian mac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just received the Classe CA-2100 and I was very impressed with the sound from my Spendor S8e speakers. The soundstage was really improved in term of height, width and depth. Each instrument had a better sense of space and was very well defined. The quality of each sound had a wonderful character and timber. The previous reviewer talked about the presence of grain at times and this is also there but I think the amp really cries out for a great preamp. Right now I'm biamping with the 2100 running the high frequencies and connected to the pre out of a Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated amp. I'm looking forward to trying it with a used Classe CP-700 which I hope to receive soon. I'll do a follow up in the next 2 or 3 weeks and let you know how it sounds. The cd player is a Classe CDP-102 and interconnect cables are Cardas Golden Cross and Vandenhul Integration. The speaker cables are 3 strands of braided 14 gage generic silver cable I bought for a home theatre setup about 10 years ago. They are very neutral and revealing. One braid of three strands is used for each of the left and right connections for the high and low frequencies. I was using XLO Ultra 6 biwire with just the Musical Fidelity Integrated amp but I found the sound a bit too bright. I tried biamping with an Exposure 28 power amp for the highs and this really opened up the sound. I was always impressed with Classe components so I was very interested when I had a chance to purchase a used 2100. This amp definitely takes my system to the next level where the listener is closer to a live performance. There are many more amazing moments of clarity in the sound. When the 700 preamp arrives I'll try to keep using the Musical Fidelity for the bass/midrange driver if it works out or I can biwire with the 2100 by using the two sets of speaker connections. I could also upgrade to balanced cables.

I was intrigued by the Classe CA-2200 and M-400 amps but I just do not have the space. This two channel system is in a smaller room and it's shared by my wife and 12 year old daughter. Esthetics are a factor and the system has to be acceptable to my 'better half '. The Classe Delta design is very pleasant and the sound is excellent. The Classe CA-2100 provides an opportunity to hear marvelous sound within the limits of the available space.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by jng92130 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just wrote a review of Classe's CA-2200. Having owned both the 2100 and the 2200, and having spent considerable time with both, I thought it might help others to read of how the two compare. I read on one audio message board that the two are essentially identical, save for reduced power in the 2100. I would agree that they have in common a remarkable neutrality and clarity, combined with a curious warmth and musicality that the older generation of Classe amps lacked... but I disagree that the two are so similar as to be indistinguishable.

The 2200 is plainly superior in ease and transparency. All music and movie sound pass through the 2200 without effort and with perfect clarity. It sets up an enormous soundstage when such an audioscape is present on a recording, and then flatters lesser recordings with detail and finesse.

The 2100 is also quick, transparent, and neutral, but it lacks some of the ease of the 2200. It produces impressive bass for its size and a nice soundstage, but adds just a touch of grain that is completely absent from the 2200.

Nonetheless, the 2100 is a great value and looks fantastic in the rack -- Classe did a great job on the physical design of the Delta series components!

note: I know from personal experience that anything less than 5 stars is considered a failure of a product. But I've tried many, many components -- amps, preamps, cables -- and thus have a good idea of what it takes for a component to be absolutely top-tier. A rating of 4 is quite good. The 2100 is an exceptional product, and a great value, but it's just not quite as fantastic as the 2200, which I rated an easy 5/5.

FGH 26: