Classe CA-101 Amplifiers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

2-channel Solid State

Submitted by Gary a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had a chance to audition the Class CA 101 & CA 151 at home. I liked the sound of the CA 151 amp and thought it made the Bryston amps sound like pro gear. There was a warm, smooth and liquid sound that had good definition with decent image depth. But compared to the CA 101 it fell short. The CA 101 was shockingly good, incredibly trasparent with an abundance of low level detail, outstanding image focus, layered sound stage, extended airy treble and fast articulate bass. I guess that is why Class Audio is discontinuing the CA 151.

Submitted by Scott Malone a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wanting to take the next step to true high end, I decided to treat myself to separate components. I felt that 100 watts/channel would be sufficient for my long narrow listening space. (more than sufficent, ask my wife). This amp allows me to get the best out of my set-up which I will describe later. The most important aspect I was looking for was musicality A+, and no listener fatigue, (none what so ever). Over the years I have been unable to find any mid-hifi equipment that would not cause listener fatigue, now i have it in spades. Soundstage, separtation, realism of voices, tight defined bass. Other equipment-van den hul,mit terminator 2, jupiter/IO cd, classe cp35 pre-amp, carver tuner, kimbercable interconnects, rega jura speakers. I listen to jazz, crooners and pop.

Purchased At:   Toronto Home of Audiophile

Submitted by Adam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Classe CA101 power amplifier is a great piece of equipment. I purchased this unit new and have owned it for approximately a year and half. I wanted to wait and really break it in before coming to any conclusions or writing my review. So here it is.
In a word, terrific! After extensive research (my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy) I have read countless reviews online at this site and many others, aswell as printed publications (ie: Stereophile, TAS, etc). And demoed much equipment at many high end stereo stores throughout the North Eastern U.S. and Canada, (Toronto and Montreal). This amplifier, for the money - has NO EQUAL. It is sweet and extended in the highs, liquid in the mids (no grain here), and commanding in the bass (within reason-we're not talking about $10k. 400watt monoblocks here). This is the perfect unit for those people who are tired of mid-fi japanese mass produced receivers or old/worn out separates from yester year.
This is the price of admission into high fidelity sound and I would highly recommend this amplifier to anyone who is ready to upgrade their sound system! Seize the day and audition it for yourself.

Current Audio System:

*I am planning to upgrade my equipment as follows: Speakers (B&W Nautilus or Proac towers) , Pre-amp (Classe CP 47.5 or Tubed Manufacterer), Cd player (Arcam w/ Ring DAC), and Cables (Balanced and heavy duty!). (Being as patient as I can).

Arcam Alpha 8 - CD player
NAD 6340 Cassette player w/ Dyneq, HX Pro, Dolby b&c
NAD 7240PE Receiver - (being used as Pre-amp)
Classe CA 101 - Amplifier
B&W 110i - Loudspeakers
Straightwire interconnects
Esoteric speaker cables

Purchased At:   The Stereo Exchange

Submitted by John Jeffery a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
All together an excellent performance at the $1495 price point. Better overall sound balance than the 3BST but not as powerfull. The Classe CA101 provides a well balanced sound stage and has more front to back depth than the Bryston. The Bryston however delivers more deep and detailed bass. I chose the Classe because it is a musical and smooth amplifier, which I put down to the circuit design phylosophy of using many smaller capacity fields rather than 3 or 4 large storage capacitors. Also Classe make best use of Mosfet input stages and Bipolar outputs which gives the amp a transparency not heard in the Bryston.

My source equipment is fed to the Classe through a Bryston BP5 Preamp which is a super value because it includes a phono stage that actually works well with the Classe

I have no regrets with the Bryston Pre Classe CA101 match.

Submitted by Jani Pesonen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have heard both CA-100 (I own one) and CA-101. As far as I know they are exactly the same designs with different frontplate. Or does someone have better knowledge? (e-mail pls) Otherwise I think this one is great amp for the money too, not the best one I have heard but nothing in the same price-range seems to get even close to it when you listen to classical/jazz.